And Then There Were Five: UPN, WB to Merge

okay - waitaminute - CBS owns UPN? That means they have two stations in the same market - all over the country. Where’s the FCC ruling in all this?
And you young’uns may not remember that (along with many if not all other WBs, UPNs and FOXs) 9 (WWOR) and 11 (WPIX) and even 5 (WNEW/WNYW) were once independants, playing nothing but old movies, cheesy game shows, and I Love Lucy all freakin’ day long.

Ha. I remember when kids would call in to WPIX after school and play Atari video games over the phone to win prizes. They should bring that back. :wink:

Hey WPIX brought me Star Trek and Yankees. It was way better than the Networks. BTW you forgot Merv Griffin every night in prime time on channel 5 WNEW.

Jim

Pix…pix…pix…pix…pix…pix!

Hell, I remember that and I grew up in Central Pennsylvania (we had WPIX on our cable lineup). That and old Tom & Jerry cartoons for two hours before school and two hours after. And the Magic Garden (“You don’t need a key, so follow me! There are no locks on Story Box!”).

Wrong system:

I’m still hoping ABC gets Russell Simmons to do a hip hop channel and they call it ABCDEF.

Wait, I’m all manner of confused. I’m fairly certain that out of Philly, there’s a UPN station and a WB station (broadcast, not cable, and I could be wrong). Does this mean there will just be one once this goes down, and the other station will just go away - meaning, rather than seeing WB shows on channel 1 and UPN shoes on channel 1, you’ll get some of both on channel 1, and nothing on channel 2?

sigh In my mind “shoes” is in fact pronounced as “shows” is, I swear.

You might end up having duplicate stations. Right now on Adelphia I get two WB stations, along with two ABC stations and two FOX stations. The duplicates have the same programming lineup in primetime.

One will become CW and one will go back to independent in all likelihood.
From the Articles in NY: WPIX will be the CW station and WOR will go back to independent.

Jim

Ed Sullivan thought the same thing.

Ah! The “extended life” had me confused. Good point. :slight_smile:

Nooooooo!

The local UPN affilaite is going independant Friday. The new CW will likely be cable only.

No more Veronica Mar

:frowning: :mad: :frowning:

Brian

That sucks, N9IWP.

According to Mark Evanier, TV writer–

I cannot agree more.

For what its worth I emailed UPN and the local affiliate.
To the former I asked if some other station could air VM. (for a while the local Fox affilate aired “Enterprise”)
To the latter I asked why they were doing this now. I can understand not waiting until Septemeber, but why not wait until May when new programming ends?

I was happy with this announcement, figuring it would allow me to see the best of UPN (Veronica Mars, and possibly Everybody hates Chris) with the best of WB (Smallville, not sure what else). But now it means I will be unable to see either (since I will NOT get cable).

Guess I have to wait for the DVDs…

Brian

The combined network will have two shows on it that I watch. That’s the same number of CBS shows I watch, and the same number of NBC shows I watch, etc.

Judging a show by the network it’s on is strange.

it super sucks because VM is getting juicy!

You mean “six”. ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, and the I (formerly known as PAX).

Our local UPN station announced it will become “independent.” The new core programing will be telenovelas.

Unfortunately, my Spanish isn’t that good.