Andros and the statues

Dear Andros,
In this here thread:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=62285

We have had a disagreement about the motivation behind Taliban’s recent decision to destroy ancient statues. That’s fine. Disagreements are needed for debate. I disagree with a lot of my favorite posters on these boards. But they are my favorite posters because they take the time to actually counter my arguements. I foolishly expected the same of you. When I countered your idea that the Taliban were destroying statues as a “show of force” by pointing out that the civilization that built the statues has long since gone and were hence unlikely to be affected by the “show of force” I expected a rational counter arguement.
Instead I got this:

How cute. Unable to present any arguements about why the majority of the present oppressed Afghan population would suddenly be intimidated by statues being destroyed (as if all those draconian laws and enforcement with stonings and machinegun fire just hadn’t worked) you simply go for the “Oh, I’m so damn hip I can get away with just calling him a nickname and making rolly eyes” defense.

First off. I hate nicknames. Calling me one gets you on my bad side. But if you want to call me Sparky, I’ll try to live up to the name. Let’s break out the lighter fluid.

Andros, you enfeebled little fuck if you are going to venture into the scary realm of Great Debates you better be prepared to actually fucking debate. “Whatever” is not a counter arguement dimwit. You might as well fall back to grade school ryhmes. If you are not interested in continuing the discussion, don’t post about it. I wouldn’t have taken it as a sign of concession. But no, you wanted to get the last word in.

I have a Master’s degree in International Relations. I have been trained to consider the motivation of nation states. I don’t know what your background is, but I find your understanding of politics, influence, and bladder control lacking. If you don’t think my position is correct fine. Great even. I like it when someone proves me wrong. It makes me smarter because it clears away a false understanding that I had. But if you can’t prove me wrong, cast doubt upon my arguement, or even bring up another point to consider then Shut UP! Keep your snot nosed, whiny, pathetic little “But I really am cool! Really!” snide remarks to yourself. I’m not here to help you with your self-esteem issues.

Take your rolly eyes stick em’ up your ass and take a look at your colon. Maybe you can figure out what’s blocking your thinking.

I got the impression from you, Blackclaw, that you were deliberately misunderstanding me. That is clearly not the case. My apologies.

Point the first: To say that just because the Taliban already oppress the Afghan people means they have no desire to continue defining their power base is, IMO, incorrect. Any regime that relies on opression mus continue demonstrating its power, as often as it can, and in as many varied ways, in order to keep its populace from revolting. The Taliban has continually increased the weight of its iron fist–destroying the statues is a nearly inevitable next step.

Do I agree with it? Duh, of course not. Does it sadden me? Duh, of course it does. It just doesn’t surprise me. It’s pissing off a lot of people in the rest of the world, but to the already increasingly downtrodden Afghanis it’s a show of force, and impetus to continue to keep their noses clean. Or, at least, so the Taliban think. I don’t know if it works, but they think it will. Which leads into:

Point the second: People who disagree with you are not necessarily stupid. Omar and his Shura might be theocrats, they might be oligarchs, but I don’t think there’s any evidence that they’re idiots. I disagree with their actions. I think their decisions might prove to be the worng ones. But, dammit, simply because I think they’re assholes does not mean they don’t have their reasons.

And again, they are doing nothing that opressive regimes have not done time after time after time.
Finally, on a personal note, please accept my apologies for calling you by a name other than the one you chose as your screen name. While I think you’ve read far too much into a few brief posts, it was not my intention to get under your skin as much as it seems I have. I am very sorry to have upset you.

-andros-

I got the impression from you, Blackclaw, that you were deliberately misunderstanding me. That is clearly not the case. My apologies.

Point the first: To say that just because the Taliban already oppress the Afghan people means they have no desire to continue defining their power base is, IMO, incorrect. Any regime that relies on opression mus continue demonstrating its power, as often as it can, and in as many varied ways, in order to keep its populace from revolting. The Taliban has continually increased the weight of its iron fist–destroying the statues is a nearly inevitable next step.

Do I agree with it? Duh, of course not. Does it sadden me? Duh, of course it does. It just doesn’t surprise me. It’s pissing off a lot of people in the rest of the world, but to the already increasingly downtrodden Afghanis it’s a show of force, and impetus to continue to keep their noses clean. Or, at least, so the Taliban think. I don’t know if it works, but they think it will. Which leads into:

Point the second: People who disagree with you are not necessarily stupid. Omar and his Shura might be theocrats, they might be oligarchs, but I don’t think there’s any evidence that they’re idiots. I disagree with their actions. I think their decisions might prove to be the worng ones. But, dammit, simply because I think they’re assholes does not mean they don’t have their reasons.

And again, they are doing nothing that opressive regimes have not done time after time after time.
Finally, on a personal note, please accept my apologies for calling you by a name other than the one you chose as your screen name. While I think you’ve read far too much into a few brief posts, it was not my intention to get under your skin as much as it seems I have. I am very sorry to have upset you.

-andros-

I think a lot of people that post in the BBQ pit fear being flamed. They fear that the fury of insults that will surely come their way shall hurt their feelings and their reputation on the board shall be placed in danger.

Not me. Flames make me stronger. Insults just give me an avenue for counter attack. An all out brawl just gets my vindictive mind really working.

No I don’t fear flames. I fear rational well thought out responses to my attacks. I do believe that Andros’s response has dealt this thread a mortal wound.

I had really hoped you were a jerk Andros, but quite clearly you are not. Your response is well reasoned. Now I have to consider the possibility that I over reacted to your comments as a result of being grumpy this morning. You did not upset me so much as give me an excuse to lash out and release some of the stress I have been under this week which is hardly fair to you. If you could find me an actual jerk with which to engage in a flame war, it would be much appreciated.

All apologies accepted and a few offered in return.

It’s another happy ending on All Cecil’s Children on SDTV. Tune in next week for a very special episode about the horrors of moderator bashing. Same pit time, same pit channel.

Well, fuck. What’m I s’posed to do with all these hot dogs?

[hey ender grab this lawn chair willya]

No Shit, Ducky. I have 250 lbs of Adam’s Ribs, Special Home Made Sauce, and an 8 foot diameter BBQ Pit all ready. AND- AND- I’ve got the cole slaw.

Fuck. Now what? :stuck_out_tongue:

Cartooniverse

takes out the roasting sticks, a bag of marshmallows, chocolates and graham crackers

S’mores anyone?

Aw hell. Allllllright, just to keep you damned vultures happy . . .

Blackclaw, Unreal is for pussies. Total Annihilation is for pussies who can’t handle Unreal.

And you couldn’t review your way out of a paper bag, Claw-boy.

See, folks, that’s why I’m the one who always brings the microwave.

Why would I want to review paper bags? Are you having trouble with them breaking and pounds of tofu falling on your delicate tootsies? Besides, my review of the Sims has been declared an epic masterpiece.

I’ve moved on to playing Sacrifice anyway. I’ll be thinking of your soul on an alter tonight. You’ll like serving Charnel, lord of the Dead. He’s a hoot.

A quick bit of clarification… For those of you who don’t know Sacrifice is a new computer game. I would never actually sacrifice Andros in real life, unless of course he wanted to be sacrificed in which case the sacrifice ritual would consist of my serving him cheap beer while he is forced to watch the XFL. A horrible ordeal I know, but that’s the price you pay when you worship dark gods…

You’re a bad man.