Angel 04/23/03 - Sacrifice (spoilers)

Nah, Rumplestiltskin is shorter and has big ears. Don’t you watch Deep Space Nine? :slight_smile:

Goddammit! I forgot to rewind my tape, and it ran out right as Dawson’s Creek ended! Crap! Crap! Crap! What’s with me? I missed the first fifteen minutes of both shows last week, now this! Argh! I don’t suppose anyone knows if they plan on re-airing it anytime?

Barring that, would anyone be willing to mail me a tape? I’ll pay shipping. And I’ll make a point of telling everyone I know what a swell person you are! Anyway, if you want someone to owe you a Klingon blood debt, please drop me an e-mail.

It’s always easy to judge things with hindsight. However, I realize now that everytime I was annoyed earlier during this season, ME wanted me to be annoyed. Cordy boinking Connor is just one example. Nothing I’ve seen one Buffy, so far, indicates that the annoyance I’ve felt was there on purpose.
And when the first evil has been summoning mindless minions (we’ll see how Caleb plays out), the Big Bad on Angel has been getting more and more creepy. From big guy in rubber suit (me thinking - cheesy) to a main character to a beautiful woman who walks around slowly and smiles a lot. And scares me. This is what evil looks like.

The Tim, I agree with your conclusions about her draining the fear first and then the rest. It also fits with my theory about a queen bee.
Apos, I noticed that to. They’re keeping us on our toes, telling the story, taking their time, but not dragging it out. It’s done masterly.

[minirant]
Considering that Joss Wheadon must keep an eye on both shows and that ME has a lot of people working both shows (I noticed David Fury was part of production this week), I feel kinda betrayed regarding Buffy. Angel shows that they haven’t lost their touch. The way BtVS plays out, it’s getting more and more obvious that the writers, producers and actors really don’t care.
[/minirant]

It seems Angel will be renewed. Hopefully, it will be as inspired next year.

Pretty much the only thing that’s keeping me interested in Buffy is the fact that it’s ending.

Anyway, about the episode: the creepiest part, IMO, is whe Jasmine began speaking through the little kid Matt. The way he smiled and cocked his head, with her voice coming out of him, was totally unnerving.

Was the person who played the monster from the other dimension the same guy who played The Master in the 1st season of Buffy? I thought the voice was similar, and even maybe saw some resemblence around the eyes (which of course could have been latex, though)

I forgot to watch the end credits.

Revtime, Mark Metcalf (of Niedermayer fame in National Lampoon’s Animal House and formerly the Master) is not in the credits.

Oh man, I never connected Niedermayer and The Master… Thanks Gaspode!

OK, who wants to bet that Jasmine’s real name is Cthulhu? I mean when she was first born while taking shape she kind of looked like she had tentacles. Also, the monster of the week mentioned how she was the Devourer, and if I remeber correctly Cthulhu is supposed to be a devourer of everything.

Yeah, the monster’s voice is really familiar. I thought it was the Master too at first. But it seems like it was someone who was on Buffy in the past. Anyone know who the monster was? The name must have been on the opening credits, it wasn’t at the end.

I thought the same thing!

Great episode. Jasmine looked great in that dress.

And how incompetent is Jasmine’s army if none of the Fang Gang was mortally wounded???

And, finally, when oh when is Connor going to find a barber???

Another great episode, just when you think they cannot keep the pace up, another major turn happens. This week for the first time, their were a few little glitches which didn’t mesh perfectly- why beat up Conner in the hallway and grab him, only to leave him behind? Seemed like just a set up, to show Jasmine healing him. Also, Conner’s arrival in the sewer was ok, but how did Gunn and Fred get away so easily-- did Conner and the Boys stop for a snack?

Still, another great episode. 9/10.

Questions in my mind that are still open:

1. What does Conner see, and does it matter (yet)?

2. Where’s Cordy?

3. How in the heck are they making Angel episodes this good, with Buffy episodes that bad? Is it the writing, acting, directing or all three. I will watch Buffy till the end, but what could have been. . . .

See, now I’m wishing I watched this show, because it sounds really cool. Missed out on “Buffy”, too. I just hate to get into something in the middle.

the monster kind of reminded me of that monster on buffy that munched on willow’s flesh earlier in the season. can’t remember the name, though.

I believe it was called (the?) Gnarl.

I think that Connor see’s Jasmine’s true face. That scene, where she tells him to give up his pain, there were several quick shots back and forth between their faces. I really expected to see a shot of Decaying Jasmine, but the shot just kept getting tighter on her face.

ME is jerking my chain. And how can there only be 2 more episodes???

Angel beat Connor senseless so that he couldn’t follow them right away. Throwing him down to the car was the final blow that knocked him out.

As for how the rest of the fang gang got away, I think that Jasmine wanted Gunn and Fred to lead them to the rest of the gang. Also, she wants to take them alive, its got to be the only explanantion since it looked like the troops had guns but didn’t use them.

For #1, could be. I thought they just liked the dramatic tension of Angel bending over Conner, with the people behind him with improvised stakes, to the shot of Conner hitting the car. In any event, Conner got whupped, so I am happy (although I think they are setting him up for something big).

For #2, they had Conner, they didn’t need to be led anywhere. He found them just fine. I think it was necessary to get them all in the same room for the final events to unfold properly. While they had the guns, it seemed clear that she wants them alive now, for some reason.

In any event, these are minor quibbles.

Pretty sure she wants them alive because she wants to eat them.

I am seriously loving this season, that clicky-spider-bug was one of the BEST monsters ever on either Buffy or Angel, wonderfully done. I really loved how quickly it moved and the “hairs” growing out of its back.

I also want to go on record as stating several weeks ago that it was very interesting that Jasmine was pushing other people to name her!!

I think this new demon is the best they’ve had so far. The chittering. The interesting, yet logical, speech patterns. Blood magic. Damn! It’s all so good! How am I going to get through a whole summer without this?

He sounded an awful lot like Brent Spiner to me (Data from STNG). He had that weird guttural growl at the back of his voice that he uses when he plays old people like Noonian Soong.

Might also have been the guy that played Merle, the demon that got gacked by Gunn’s ex-troops when they were hunting demons, good or bad.

And did anybody but me notice that Connor and Jasmine referred to her as the Glory way too many times for comfort in their last scene? THAT would be one weird end-of-season/series crossover with Buffy… what if Jasmine is one of the other two gods from Glory’s dimension? Or Glory brought back to life (because of the debt owed to Angel…)?