Well, color me surprised and happy. After some episodes which I thought was kinda uninspired, here comes Lorne and throws a Halloween party. And the fun is back.
No black box this close to broadcast.
Something’s up with Lorne, but what. The Jolly Green Demon seems to be brooding when he’s on his own. And the rest of the MoG are not really in a party mood. The episode in itself is quite good, but what makes me happy is that it changed a couple of things I was a bit unhappy with:
- It’s a good, strong, ensamble cast. By I was worrying that it might be like Buffy’s last year, where a lot of the regulars are just sitting around, with nothing to do. This week, Lorne takes centre stage, with Fred and Wes backing him up. Nice change of perspective.
- The MoG get back on track, talking about what working in that place does to them.
- There’s some really good humor in it. My favorite being when Angel says he wants to be let alone, because he’s brooding.
- Angel acknowledges that he’s been killing humans and hints that he’s not all that happy with the whole situation.
- The episode moved the arc forward and it feels as if the season is gaining some momentum.
All in all, not stellar, but certainly a lot better than the past four eps.