Another odd names thread

Then there’s old Doc Beaver…

I was watching the local news the other day and they interviewed a local area fire chief whose last name was HOSE! I was so excited, I had to go look it up. Totally real.

There was a guy in my high school named Rusty Pipes. I didn’t know him very well, but once came across a scene where someone had put up a sign in the hallway saying

Wanted: Rusty Pipes
for clogging the drains

and he’d apparently just discovered it and was surrounded by fellow students having a laugh. He was less than totally amused by it. I don’t know if Rusty was his real name or a nickname.

“Previous President for Spastic Muscle”

I went to a concert once where jazz pianist Dick Hyman performed.

There’s a reporter on the radio sometimes who’s named Anita Bathe (pronounced “bath.”)

I always thought U.S. Grant was quite an odd coincidence.

I loved that the handyman who took care of fallen tree branches for our condo association was named Les Sapp.

But he was born Hiram Ulysses Grant. He may have given himself the new name.

Dang, now that’s disappointing.

I have crossed paths with the following:
-Sandy Shore
-Dick Tracy
-London Bridge
-Ace Diamond
-Sandy Sandy (although it was her married name and she could have gone by Sandra or not changed her last name, but she clearly liked the attention she got from it)

I know a man named Tommy Thomas. I have never quite gotten up the nerve to ask him if his full name is, in fact, Thomas Thomas.

Fort Wayne, Indiana wanted to name their new administrative building after a beloved mayor from the 1930’s - people got a chuckle because his name was Harry Baals. I read an article “Fort Wayne scratches Baals as name for building.” Heh.

NPR has a cultural correspondant named Kat Chow, which I have mentioned on the 'dope before.

This has been mentioned here before, but Bill Lear, of Lear Jet and 8 track fame, named his daughter Crystal Shonda Lear.

According to history, the Ohio Congressman who nominated him to West Point wrote the name wrong on the application, and since the Army recorded it that way… He also had the nickname “Unconditional Surrender” Grant, due to the Battle of Fort Donelson. Curiously, the S. stood for nothing; occasionally the name ‘Simpson’ is used, but that was his mother’s maiden name and not officially adopted by Grant.

Ok, back on topic. One of my favorites is the English landscaper/gardener Capability Brown. His given name was odd enough (Lancelot Brown), but he was known throughout his life (and in history books) by his nickname.

I knew a Richard Tate in the Navy. His troops called him Dick Tate, as he was a bit of an asshole. When I told one of them that tête was French for ‘head’, the word got around pretty fast.

I used to work with a bloke called Michael Hunt. Obviously he never shortened his first name.

Also the other day, during a happy birthday section of a popular UK children’s TV channel I noted someone had named their child Christian-Jack. Neither of these names is particularly odd in itself, but the addition of the hyphen makes him sound like a character from a pulp Western.

OB

Mykel Hawke, retired Special Forces officer and reality show host, who obviously doesn’t want to go around known as Myke Hawke. He and Mike Hunt really ought to get together. :smiley:

I worked with a guy name Richard Ball.

When he met people he would make sure to tell them, “It’s Richard. Not Rich, or Rick, or anything else.”

I’ve attended a few presentations by market researcher Harry Balzer.

My parents used to play bridge with a couple whose last name was Wahl. They named their son Brick. :smack:

Over the weekend I was watching some TV show about “The Band”, and my wife says “Who’s that guy they’re talking to?”

I said “Robbie Robertson.”

Wife: “Seriously?”