another printer sharing question (xp/vista)

I say ‘another’ because I did a keyword search and didn’t find an answer.
Im running Vista on my laptop and xp on my desktop.
I setup file and printer sharing on the desktop and laptop and the firewalls on both are set to share.Oh wait I can’t set the laptop printer to share since there’s no printer on the laptop vista wont allow it.

On the laptop I can ‘see’ the shared files on the desktop as well as the printer when I go to ‘start>network>printer’. I can clearly see the printer (I named “printercanon”) plain as day from the laptop. When I go to print I get “windows cannot connect to the printer.Access is denied”.Oh I did try to set the printer permissions I cannot access them on the desktop.But I can ‘see’ the permissions from the laptop.They seem to be set right.
BTW I can access shared files from the laptop that are on the desktop,just to make that crystal-clear.

Just a note: I just tried to ‘add a printer’ on the Vista machine and got the same “access denied” message…

Are you logged on to both machines with the same username and password?

Si

yes
I just downloaded the driver to the laptop (its not for Vista by the way)and disabled the firewall on the desktop for a minute just to check…

Access denied,access denied,access denied…grrrrrrrrr :mad:

I.cant.change.settings.

:smack:

What permissions have you set on the printer?

I cant access the security tab to change the permissions settings (on the xp). I followed the instuctions to a ‘T’:

1.open printers and faxes
2.click printer you want to set permissions for.
3.press and hold down CTRL,and then right-click the printer for which you want to set permissions,click properties,and then click security tab

…only the security tab never materializes

Try running in Safe Mode to modify the permissions (I am guessing you have XP Home).

Check that you are not running with Simple File Sharing - use Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then uncheck the Use Simple File Sharing box at the bottom of the list.

The final option is that there is a way of adding the XP Pro security tab into XP home. This has worked pretty well for me, but YMMV.

Si

**OMFG I found the solution ** at the Microsoft forums and printed a test page.

*Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \computer name\printer name ie. My computer’s name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \basement\epsonsty*

Thanks…

TM