Any book recommendations for a seven-year old?

Well, it appears that it’s time to have “the talk” with my step-daughter. Being the only adult female in the house, it has been deemed my job. I’ve tried googling for suggestions, and have come up with some, ahem, interesting results. I’m looking for either a book or a website that has age-appropriate information for a seven-year old girl with out being too graphic.

Some background:
[ul]
[li]she’s very, very bright, but tends to lack common sense (like most kids)[/li][li]she has a female hamster that seems to go into heat every other day[/li][li]she knows that girls’ and boys’ bodies are different, but doesn’t (to my knowledge) know anatomically correct names for body parts[/li][/ul]

I’m not uncomfortable giving “the talk,” I’m just concerned that I’ll forget some important detail.

Any suggestions and/or advise will be greatly appreciated.

When our older girl was 7, she asked about sex for the first time. I went to the bookstore, looking for the book ‘Where Did I Come From?’ which was the book I was given to read when I wanted to know about sex when I was little. It wasn’t there, but this book by Dr. Ruth was. I bought it, my wife and I read through it with her, and it satisfied her curiosity. The book was frank enough about the process that at one point she said ‘yuck! I’m never doing that!’ She’s had a couple of questions about it since then (it’s been about a year), but for the most part, she’s just gone on like it never happened.

Isn’t seven a little young? Can you tell her that it’s something you think is better left until she’s older?

We have this book and it is very helpful…

Everything You Never Wanted Your Kids to Know About Sex, but Were Afraid They’d Ask: The Secrets to Surviving Your Child’s Sexual Development from Birth to the Teens

Personally I’m in the “if you’re old enough to ask the question” camp. What age do girls start puberty at now? just to save from them being frightened to death it would seem sensible to provide the facts before their bodies go down that route.

Just my librarian observation : most of the books for kids in this area are targeted at about age 9 or so. Not that they won’t be appropriate, but you may really need to help you child with the reading level/vocabulary.

A good book for girls that is specific to girl anatomy and doesn’t cover sex is :
“The care and keeping of you : The body book for girls” by Valorie Lee Schaefer, Illustrates by Norm Bendell. It’s part of the AmericanGirl Library series. It covers personal care, fitness, body issues, etc in a very friendly and non-threatening way.

The simplest “intro to sex” book I can think of is “Asking about sex and growing up” by Joanna Cole ; illustrated by Alan Tiegreen. It has pretty “mild” illustrations but covers a lot of tough subjects (pregnancy, std’s, masturbation…)

Maybe just truthfully answering all your girl’s questions, in simplified terms, would do the trick. My daughter was full of questions about babies etc. at a similar young age, and seemed satisfied with the answers. I had the advantage of a captive audience to whom I had previously taught the proper names of all body parts, though. Of course, when I described sex (“the man’s penis goes into the woman’s vagina”… or some such extremely simple explanation) she was all perplexed. But oh well, she didn’t ask about it for a while after getting the answers. For a couple of years after that, I would run a “check” every so often (maybe once or twice a year) to make sure she had the facts straight and answer any new questions that might’ve come up. I took advantage of her older age to explain things in more detail. I did that until she responded by covering her ears and saying, “I KNOW all this already!!” Hopefully, that was all adequate, and if you try the same thing, you’d save money on a book, plus get to put your own personal spin on the topic.