Anyone got a great quote about swords?

I had a pendant with “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another” and two swords crossed above it. It’s from Proverbs 27:17. It looked well cool.

Another translation of a good one already provided by DesertGeezer:

“The finest blade stays in the scabbard.”

• Iaido saying

Sword lovers live life to the hilt! (I just made that up)

Upon offering someone a shot of rotgut liquor: “This will put a hinge in your sword.”

If you’ve got room for silly, here’s one that you’ll find on bumpers at pretty much every Ren Faire:

I like men in short kilts with long swords

From Bowling for Columbine:

“I use the pen, because the pen is mightier than the sword. But you must always keep a sword handy for when the pen fails.” -James Nichols

Kill Bill Volume 2

“That’s right. I killed your master. And now I’m gonna kill you, with your own sword, no less, which in the very immediate future, will become… my sword.” -Ellie Driver

I am curious, sir, how you come by the appelation of a swordsman.

If you would?

You can have my sword when they pry it from your cold, dead abdomen.

Long tiime SCA member. Companion of the Order of the White Scarf. I have also studied kendo, and other Eastern martial arts. Besides the SCA I have done quite a bit of outside study in the Western martial arts, particularly the documents of Marazzo, Saviolo, and DiGrassi. Much of this study has been put to practical use in raising the bar for many of the SCA fencers in my area. I and others have been instramantel in turnin the emphasis from just a game to a scolarly pursuit.

I am often called on to provide sword training to local actors, though I am not a member of SAFD I have had some degree of training in that respect as well.

So, if such can be said to exist in this modern era, I am a swordsman.

“Big gigantic knives don’t kill people. People kill people.”

This isn’t verbatim because I don’t have the book with me, but I always enjoy this bit of Peter David’s Sir Apropos of Nothing: The Woad to Wuin:

“My sword flashed, and my blood sang the song of death. Which, if you don’t know it, goes something like this – death death death death death death death la la la la death death …

It’s the lalas in the middle that always get me. :slight_smile:

“I am not left-handed.”

Not exactly about swords, but close enough:

To which I believe the response was ‘Jesus Christ, Soap, I don’t want to know what you did in your past life.’

“I have a katana because it’s almost as effective as the chainsaw, and you can run with it. '” A friend of mine, talking about why he likes the katana in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Thanks so much everybody! :smiley:

“The pointy end goes into the other man.”

From “The Mask of Zorro”

Tris

LOL Ross

And in a similar line of thinking:
From a National Sword Association bumper sticker:
“When swords are outlawed, only outlaws will have swords”.

Swords, not nukes.

Plures crapula quam gladius perdidit.
Translation: “Drunkenness takes more lives than the sword.”

My old friend used to say that swords don’t jam, have no moving parts, and don’t need to be reloaded.

He also said that if they run out of bullets, we’d be in charge. :smiley:

“There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind.”

• Napoleon