Anyone up on Inuit names?

I am applying for a job with Nunavut Tourism but I need to know the sex of the person to whom I am applying. My gut tells me it’s a female name, but this is something I’d like to be sure on. The first name is Sekayi.

Any thoughts?

Do not recall encountering that name during three years in Nunavut, sorry. It sounds female, but I could not swear to that. I’d suggest a couple of things that probably have already occurred to you:

(a) Just address the letter “Dear Sekayi Tagak [or whatever]”; or

(b) Call him/her to “talk about the job a bit” and find out.

When my wife gets in tonight, I’ll ask her if she knew a Sekayi.

Are you sure it’s Inuit? A Google search for “sekayi names” comes up with no Inuits on the first page, yet over half the first page links to African naming sites. Also, an Image search for “sekayi” turns up four women, three of whom are black: One woman has it as a last name, one as a first name, and one indeterminable.

My somewhat WAGish conclusion is that Sekayi is a female name, but probably not Inuit, as you had thought.

Ruiniform has a good point – there are certainly lots of people in Nunavut who aren’t Inuit. And since non-Inuit women marry Inuit men, and vice versa, the last name isn’t a give-away.

Fair enough. I guess I sort of assumed based on the last name that it was Inuit.

I am not sure if I should just address the cover letter to the full name or call on Monday.

What do you guys think?

My computer is painfully slow, and I cannot get this pdf link to open, but it claims to have a picture of Sekayi who is a Marketing Director of Nunavut Tourism.

So hopefully this is your Sekayi, and there really is a picture.

She’s a black woman.