Are all movies named after a hit pop song terrible?

It seems like a hell of a lot of lame, formulaic comedies (usually romantic comedies) are named after hit songs. Any exceptions?

Stand by Me. (Not a comedy, though.)

Even if you think Pretty Woman is terrible, it was certainly a significant movie…

Whatever you think of My Own Private Idaho, it wasn’t a formulaic romantic comedy. At least, not to the average person :slight_smile:

Was the song Pretty in Pink written for the movie, or did it already exist? In any case I like both the song and movie.
Have I said too much in admitting to the latter?

“Yellow Submarine” is generally considered a good movie, as is “A Hard Day’s Night.” Both films were innovative and influential.

“Help!,” not so much.

Sixteen Candles.

Bang on! It seems like they just slapped the name on the movie because it wasn’t really about much, or they couldn’t think of a palatable title. Hooker makes good? New York Prostitute? No, Pretty Woman.

Significant? Certainly significant?

In what way?

My corollary to this is that if the ads for the movie include a blurb for the soundtrack (“Buy the new hit single Tune Q by Artist X featuring Another Artist Z!!!”), the movie will suck more ass than a donkey vacuum.

I’m pretty sure the song Pretty in Pink by the Psychedelic Furs already existed. They’re both quite good. Pretty in Pink is probably my favorite of those Molly Ringwald-John Hughes movies.

It introduced a new generation of hopeful young girls to the fairy-tale promise of a life in high-end prostitution?

I Wanna Hold Your Hand” is supposed to be pretty good.

Yankee Doodle Dandy is a film classic. As is Singin’ in the Rain.

Blue Velvet is pretty good, too. Three Little Words is a decent biography/comedy. And though I detest the film, a lot of people like White Christmas. Not to mention the TV special Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Personally, I liked De-Lovely (not quite the song title, but close enough).

Million Dollar Baby

“Hit” pop song? Does “Quadrophenia” qualify?

Maybe Baby is named for a pop song. It’s a bit cheesy, but definitely not terrible. (Any English film with Rowan Atkinson in a bit part as a gynecologist and starring Hugh Laurie has got something going for it!)

I think Leaper is referring to the fact that it was the breakout movie for Julia Roberts.

My own nomination for the thread is Why Do Fools Fall in Love , which I enjoyed.

Peggy Sue Got Married is not a bad film.

It made Julia Roberts a star, revitalized Richard Gere’s career and it was a hugh f-ing hit. (it is called show* business * after all) I believe it was Touchstones’ biggest at the time and convinced Disney, the parent company to stay in the business of making movies for grownups.

Actually Beverly Hills Prostitute.

I remember liking “Can’t Buy Me Love”.

Of course I was about 15 at the time.