Are there any famous lesbian fashion (clothes) designers?

I can’t think of any off the top of my head. Are there any famous lesbian clothing designers?

I’m sure there are. Lesbianism has been huge in the fashion industry. For many, many years if you looked at fashion magazines like Vogue, WWD and Harper’s Bazaar there have been obvious lesbian undertones.

What constitutes an obvious lesbian undertone?

The currently best known person in this category is probably Patricia Field.

The clothing line Marimacho is designed by a lesbian couple, though it’s a bit more “drag king”-ish than the classically feminine styles of Field.

Have you ever heard the saying, “I know it when I see it”. Female nudity, females hugging each other, females looking each other in the eye, pictures of females with BDSM innuendos, and on and on. Let’s just say I know something about fashion magazine publishing. Even many years ago it was no secret that there was heavy lesbian influence in the fashion publishing industry. Us straight guys got a kick out of it. Sometimes Vogue was more provocative than Playboy.

Hmm. So fashion magazines’ visual styling is designed to appeal to the personal sexual preferences of the (allegedly lesbian) fashion industry professionals who publish them, rather than to the consumer tastes of the vast majority of their purchasers, namely, straight women? Gee, you learn something new every day here on the Dope.

So tell us, who are the famous lesbian fashion designers who are contributing to the alleged “heavy lesbian influence” in fashion magazines that you “know when you see it”?

Personally, as noted in my previous post, I’m aware of maybe a few lesbian designers whose names are somewhat well known in the design industry. But I don’t know of any ones I’d call “famous”, certainly not on the order of male heavy hitters like Lagerfeld or Galliano or the late Alexander McQueen, or straight female ones like Donatella Versace or Carolina Herrera or even Sarah Burton.

However, I can’t claim to “know something about fashion magazine publishing”. I’m sure that you will be better able to inform us who all these influential lesbian designers are.

And she’s the only female on the inevitable wiki list of LGBT fashion designers.

No way. I don’t believe you. Surely not.

I will have to see this for myself.

Aw! Those two are adorable. :stuck_out_tongue:

(bolding mine) So what makes you think they aren’t going for the same audience? They have the straight women and gay men already. So go after the people who are attracted to women. Like how the NFL does the pink ribbon thing to appeal to more women.

Which makes sense, given that marimacho means butch woman, tomboy (not necessarily lesbian).