Are you a net loser or net finder?

Sometime we lose things, sometimes we find things. Over the course of your lifetime, to the best of your estimation, have you found or lost more stuff? Could be any stuff, but keep it to material things. This is not the thread to lament over lost love or found bearings (unless they’re ball bearings, I suppose).

I think I am a net finder. It could be selective memory, but I feel as though I find more things than I lose. Not so much valuable stuff, but little things. Bungee cords stand out as an often found (and picked up!) item.

Regale us with your storied of windfalls, pitfalls and pratfalls!

First answer and I voted break even. I know it’s all here somewhere.

I have never lost nor found a net.

I imagine that most people are net finders. Almost everything that gets lost eventually gets found, but some things get found without ever having been lost. For instance, at the church rummage sale a couple of weeks ago, I found a computer accessory, two jigsaw puzzles, four shirts, and a DVD. None of those things were lost: Their previous owners knew what had happened to all of them, they just decided that they didn’t want them any more, and so donated them to the church. But from my point of view, they were certainly found, because I got them when I had no particular expectation of doing so, and for a price that was negligible compared to what I would otherwise would have paid for them.

Frankie Avalon was a net finder.

I’ve lost far too much money to the washing machine.

You certainly have if you’ve ever looked upon the head of the lunchroom lady. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if that’s true. Plenty of things that get lost are effectively lost forever.

I found a GoPro camera while scuba diving. It still had battery charge, so it had clearly been lost recently. Looked brand new. Nothing on it. No one on our boat had lost it, so maybe another scuba outfit visiting the same reef within the last few days? Anyway. I call myself a sunken treasure hunter now.

I have to imagine that the chances of accidentally knocking something overboard on a boat are significantly higher than someone finding them while they’re still in usable shape. The vast majority of things lost at sea are simply lost. No one ever finds them before they’re corroded into junk. The sea is kind of an extreme example, but even if you lose some money on the street, there’s some chance that it ends up rotting in a storm drain, not found and picked up by someone else. Lost and not found.

Even ignoring that, I could imagine that the group of net finders is larger than the group of net losers. Basically everybody occasionally loses things. People who focus on finding things find more than average. Like, consider jewelry and the beach. Everyone who wears jewelry has a small chance of losing it when they go to the beach. Those few guys out there sweeping around with metal detectors have a way higher chance of finding it. Diffuse losses and concentrated gains.

I’m a net finder. I’m not sure why. I think I tend to spend a lot of time looking at the ground? I’ve found lots of money over the years. I can’t recall losing money since I was a little kid (although it’s possible I have lost some and didn’t notice)

I’m not sure it makes sense to count things at a rummage sale in this calculus. Like you said, they weren’t lost, just valued differently. Every time you buy something, it’s because it’s worth more to you than it is to the seller. That’s just consumer surplus, not “finding”.

I’ve found at least three dollar bills while mowing my lawn, over several years. Maybe four. I think what happens is that the neighbors go to pull their keys out of their pockets and pull out bills too and they blow away. It’s really weird to find money while I mow, though!

I also found a wallet once, in a ditch. Turned out the guy’s wallet got jacked while at a local arcade, the perps must have driven off, driven over to my neighborhood and tossed the wallet after taking out the cash. I contacted the guy and turned the wallet in to the police station.

So, since I’ve never lost any money that I can think of (ok maybe a few cents in change) and never lost a wallet, I’m up $3 and one wallet.

I’ve lost a bunch of stuff (including my Social Security card, which has to be at my parents’ house among fifty-four years’ accumulation of ephemera, but has never turned up despite numerous searches and purges conducted both while I lived there and since I moved out). However, I’d say I’m a net finder.

Just last week, I noticed a wallet next to a car in a parking lot. Inside were a driver’s license, numerous credit cards, and exactly $100 in cash (one Benjamin). I took the wallet into a nearby restaurant, where the business owner discovered the “loser” had just paid a bill there an hour or so ago. Since the owner said he’d hold the wallet, I turned it over to him, and sent a note to the “loser” the next day. I haven’t heard back, so I assume that the wallet was claimed but that no reward (nor even thanks) will be forthcoming.

You are hereby banished from posting for one month.

True, some things are lost that will never be found by anyone. Another example is a pair of glasses I used to have, which are now somewhere in the headwaters of the Missouri, if they haven’t been washed downstream. And of course we all know that if you ever drop your car keys in molten lava, give it up, because man, they’re gone. But losses of that sort are, overall, fairly rare, limited to perhaps a few items per person per lifetime.

And I do think that rummage-sale items are finds, in a way that most ordinary purchases are not. I could have gone to a computer store (or more likely, a website) to buy that accessory, for instance, but if I had done that, I’d have known all along where it was. There’s no finding involved, there. But when I went to the rummage sale, I had no idea, when I walked in the door, that they would happen to have that particular computer accessory that I had been looking for.

Some people will not bend over to pick up a penny. Their … whatever keeps them from it.
Finding my own stuff that I loose and then find some days or years later = finder.

Finding useful things for me that others have lost = big winner/finder

Undamaged nuts & bolts along the edges of roads. get. I am a scrounge. I also hardly ever have to go to the hardware store.

I work without a net.

I lost my house key today. It was in my tiny purse. Can’t imagine how or where I dropped it but it’s well and truly gone.

However I have a large seashell and rock collection that would seem to indicate I am a finder.

A few days ago I was with three people in a forested, 20 yr old camp searching for rock core samples that might still be lying about. While I was the driving force behind the search, they each located one and I did not. (They are all mine now though!)

This would seem to make me ‘break even’ in my mind!

In terms of goods and/or money I am by far a net finder.

Unless we’re talking stuff that I know is in this house but I just can’t remember just where.

Then I’, still a finder but on a much closer margin.

Will the net finder who found my cell phone let me know. Just push 9 and it will dial my home phone. Of course as it’s an old flip phone you probably don’t have the proper cord to charge it.

It was three weeks ago and to be honest I really don’t miss it too much

In more ways than one, I am a net loser.

Heh! Just last evening, while out walking with my wife, I stopped to pick up a perfectly good cotter pin. According to this site, it’s worth a whole dollar - winner!

Overall I am slightly ahead I would think. Though when I found a wallet with about $200 in it I managed to return it to the owner and got a $10 reward at least. I guess if I had kept it I would be much further ahead. As I was only 20 at the time the $200 was a pretty big find.

I once found an ammo box loaded with tools and no name on it. I never found the owner and still have those tools, that more than makes up for the pair of $70 glasses that fell out of my pocket and into the water when I was getting off my ship.

I did lose a ring from my late grandfather, I don’t know what it was worth, but I suspect not much. But for sentimental reasons that probably out-weighs everything I’ve found so maybe I should have chosen net-loser.