Are you armed and what do you carry?

From Answers.com - “There were nearly 6,420,000 auto accidents in the United States in 2005. The financial cost of these crashes is more than 230 Billion dollars. 2.9 million people were injured and 42,636 people killed. About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States – one death every 13 minutes.”

But people still insist they just “must” drive a car. Now that is a crazy society!

Guns on the other hand make perfect sense when you consider things like this:
(news report from near me)

(Changes mind, puts down yak and backs away slowly)

Good idea. Because if the mind bullets don’t work I’d go to my back-up weapon: squirrelly wrath.

Springfield XD-9, here. Hardly ever carry a weapon anymore. I was armed at all times working at a gas station on the graveyard shift, though. Had to draw once, luckily didn’t have to fire.

[Moderator Note]The pro-gun/anti-gun debate is off topic-take it to Great Debates.[/Moderator Note]

I’m curious how many other females go armed…

At work:
Sig P229 .40 cal
Pepper spray
Baton (wooden, not expandable)
Streamlight flashlight
Pocket knife
Remington 870 shotgun
Off duty:
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact
Pocket knife

Skammer lay there like a slug! It was his only defense!

That’s a pretty knife. I usually have a my Spyderco (H-1 Salt, if you’re interested), which I like partly because of it’s magical anti-rust properties. Someday soon I should be getting a machete prybar widget (m.a.k.-1) based on [thread=599733]this thread about machete prybar widgets[/thread], but it’s more for emergencies than for self-defense. And of course, my spouse is a trained killer, so there’s that.

On the other hand, this thread is making me glad that I live in Canada, where I’m only likely go get shot if I go in the woods during moose season.

[Moderator Warning]Infraction for ignoring moderator instructions.[/Moderator Warning]

World’s toughest realty office.

My wife starts her job every morning at 5.30. The neighborhood between here and there is not the best. Her carry weapon is a vintage Browning HiPower 9mm.

9mm Walther P99

I could easily get a CC license but haven’t felt the need since it’s a bit of a hassle carrying it around. The responsibility of carrying it and being prepared to properly use it makes me more paranoid than without it. There are very rare occasions when I bring it along if I have to go into an iffy neighborhood at night (where I’m already paranoid) but generally I feel more comfortable without it.

At home though, it’s kept loaded and ready to pity the fool. There’s never any kids in my house, so I don’t have to worry about that.

I would totally carry a small handgun if I could do it legally. I’m considering getting a long gun for home since I’m on my way to becoming an “older” single woman living alone and that’s all anyone is allowed to have (legally) here.

In my bag, which I always have (I explain to people it’s like what you might have in the glovebox, but since I don’t have a car…) when I leave the house: I have 2 cans of Mace, one is a pepper spray/tear gas combo and the second one is a pepper gel that adheres to the face/eyes/whatever you hit while spraying. I also have a mean-looking 3-inch thumb knife (1/2 inch over legal) that I have “shown” to two people. Apparently it’s a big surprise when a 40 year old fat lady pulls a knife. I’ve had my hand inside my bag and holding a pepper canister while on the train a few times. Haven’t had to use it yet. I know a few women who have been mugged, and I don’t plan to have myself added to the list. I know that’s not rational, but I know myself well enough to know that I won’t just be able to hand over whatever they want.

Really?

I’m unclear how a funny aside from popular children’s movie ingores anything you’ve ever directed towards me, if indeed you ever have.

It’s a joke, not a debate or political statement. Lighten up, Francis.

I’ve never felt the need to carry anything like that. My SO did carry a pepper spray for a few months but quit doing that years ago.

I was assuming Soliloquy is actually a police officer. The equipment she describes would be standard police issue.

I’m always a little confused by statements like this. Or perhaps more curious as to what you actually believe. I have a couple of questions I’d love to get your opinions on.

1. So you think violence used for self defense is wrong?

2. If you were the victim of violent crime would you call the police? Is it ok for them to use violence? And I would consider forcibly imprisoning someone violence.

3. If someone was genuinely threatening your life, and I shot them, would you be mad at me?

While I’ve got your attention Czarcasm, I’m afraid I don’t get what ducati did. He didn’t bring up the gun debate.

My mom and my sister both carry pistols. Legally of course.

I’m guessing this was meant as a mildly humourous

[quote from the movie “A Christmas Story”]
(A Christmas Story (1983) - Quotes - IMDb) rather than a serious comment on any existing gun debate, in which case the proper response is “Oh yeah? You’ll shoot your eye out!”

XD 9 for formal wear (stainless slide, very pretty), XD 45 for everyday trampin’ around and the XD 40M for “special events” (also stainless slide with custom goodies)

Where I live, its easier to “open carry” than jump thru all the hoops to get the CCW license.