1) What is the specific configuration of your relationship (e.g. WM/BF, AM/WF, etc.)?
I’m Japanese, my girlfriend is American/white.
2) How is everything going?
Pretty well, I think.
3) Do you feel that your not being of the same ethnicity is an impediment to building a successful relationship? How much of one??
Ethnicity isn’t an issue at all. Difference in cultural background is more noticeable, but on the whole it’s a plus.
4) Did either of you have a specific preference for partners of the other’s race, or did it just happen on its own?
I don’t think I have a strong racial preference, but I do have a preference towards English speakers.
5) How do your families feel about your relationship? Has anyone voiced any opposition??
Both families are supportive.
6) Do you sense that people make assumptions about you based solely on the fact that you’re in an interracial relationship (e.g. mail-order bride, marriage of convenience, status seeking, etc.)?
In our case it’s the age difference that makes us unusual (she’s 15 yrs older than me) more than the race. But we don’t worry about what other people think of our relationship. As she once put it, people who care about us will understand and accept our relationship, and that’s all that matters.
7) Do you feel that your children, if you were to have them, would be at any disadvantage due to their being ‘mixed’?
I haven’t really thought about it.
8) Do you have any other comments that you would like to add to the above?
I hope one day the term “interracial relationship” fill fall into disuse. Race really isn’t a factor in relationships, in my experience, and it doesn’t help to imply otherwise.