Are you one of those people who eats the same thing every day?

I’ve almost been consistently eating spaghetti at least once a day, for years now. And I don’t complain or get sick of it, as it’s still my favorite dish. Sometimes I skip a day or two, try something else for variety but then I’d usually enjoy that meal less.

And yet I love food, love trying new stuff, love cooking, reading food blogs, etc. but damn. Spaghetti.

As a single guy cooking for just myself, I end up eating the same thing for 3-4 days straight simply because it’s silly and expensive for me to shop with variety in mind when I go to the grocery store, and I’m too lazy to cook 2-3 different dishes with the same pound of meat. I do change it up when I need to restock, though.

And there are a few things I eat every day without exception, like Greek yogurt for breakfast. I may vary the fruits I throw into it, but it’s always the Fage Greek yogurt, 200 grams (today and for the next 3 days will be with honeydew, raspberries, kiwi, and ginger syrup).

I mentioned this at work last week. One of the guys has a tin of tuna on crispbreads, a carton of yogurt and a piece of fruit every day for lunch.

I said that years ago I read an article that stated that people who ate the same thing for one meal every day were thinner than people with a varied diet.

It seems likely to be true. Maybe we’re the people who just don’t care about food much.

I love variety. But breakfast and lunch are just rocket fuel for me. I have some variation in brekkies and lunch, but not much. I don’t have time. My wife has time. Every evening, she prepares herself an elaborate lunch for the next day. I just can’t do that. Each morning, I quickly whip together that day’s lunch: the same ol’ sammich and fruit and maybe yogurt, and maybe some veggies. Pretty much the same thing each day. At night, however, I’m into variety. I have about fifteen meals I can make, and my wife has about forty or fifty, so I get my variety there.

I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast, but that’s partially because it’s hard enough to plan a good dinner that’s healthy and will serve both my husband’s and my own nutritional and diet needs. I’m a vegetarian with a desk job; he’s an omnivore with a physically strenuous job. Both of us are trying to lose weight, and my recommended calorie intake is half of his due to build/height/gender/activity difference.

Lunch is usually leftovers from the night before or something simple. Breakfast these days for me is low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt, Kashi GoLean cereal (lots of protein and fiber), and some kind of fruit. Since I know how many calories this uses, I can plan dinner accordingly.

Oh, and I love variety in food. I have so many cookbooks and adore trying new things. But I accepted that I am way too lazy to plan out special breakfasts and lunches every day.

Yeah, that sounds more like it. I put lots more thought into dinners.

For the most part, yes. I’m just waiting for the day meals will come in a pill and I can skip the whole thing altogether (with the exception of the occasional curry or a pizza).

Ew, never. At least not for lunch and dinner.

My SO ate a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat and a fruit on the bottom yogurt and drank a bottle of water for lunch for 6 years straight. That’s commitment.

I tend to eat the same kind of thing for breakfast. I’ve found that I need a high fiber cereal for my first meal, to keep things running smoothly. The brand of cereal might change, but I’ll have high fiber cereal and two cups of tea for my first meal of the day.

I might have the same thing for lunch for several days in a row, especially if I get some corned beef and swiss and rye bread. My husband doesn’t like rye bread, and I feel silly asking for a quarter pound of corned beef and a quarter pound of beef and then another quarter pound of turkey, so I’ll tend to get one type of meat. And now I’m craving tuna on rye.

I usually want different things for dinner. I might have ground turkey patties on one night, and then steak the next night, and pork chops the night after that. If I make a pot roast or stew, we might have that several nights running, but even with a stew, I frequently change it up by adding dumplings the next night or making a pot pie out of it.

Yes. If it were possible to take a nutrition pill three times a day and not have to eat, I’d do it.

On school campus, I buy almost the same breakfast every day (if everything is there: cup of Special K Red Berry cereal (with freeze-dried strawberries!), carton of milk, cup of cottage cheese (sixty grams of protein!), and a whatever’s-there-today pastry/fruit/carbohydrate.

What really throws me is when one of the above isn’t there. Especially when I get up late, sometimes there’s no Red Berry or non-pineapple cottage cheese left. (Who eats pineapple cottage cheese, anyway?)

At home I eat what’s there. This is generally pasta. I love pasta. This weekend I learned to make taco fillings, so my diet has pretty much consisted of tacos (very healthy) and pasta (tomato sauce is a vegetable, right? Pesto too. It’s even green.)

Oatmeal for breakfast three years running (maybe more!), hummus sammich with fruit and yogurt for lunch probably four years running. Sometimes I vary it a bit - I ate four slices of plain bread for lunch for a couple of months, with the inevitable yogurt and fruit.

When I’m off my regular schedule, like when I’m visiting family, and I don’t eat until noon and it’s toast or something even stranger (like bacon and eggs) I feel horrible.

I love hummus…but sometimes I think I’d like to switch to a tin of tuna instead. That’s so much more expensive though!

I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch most days. Meat, vegetable, yogurt. (I’m one of those people who doesn’t eat breakfast foods often.)

98% of my workday breakfasts are bran and iced tea.

90% of my work lunches are yogurt, bran, sandwich and fruit.

Lotsa variety at dinner and on weekends, vacations.

I eat a bit of peanut butter every night before bed.

Yep. For breakfast, I either have oatmeal or yogurt/berries. Every workday, I have a big salad for lunch (I make a bunch of different salads, but it’s always a salad). Afternoon snack is generally fruit. I do switch up dinners (and like to try new recipes), but I probably have 10 favorite things that are in heavy rotation (home made pasta, maple glazed salmon, home made chili, pork loin stir fry, home made pizza, chicken parmesan, steak).

I don’t necessarily eat the same thing every day, though I do have a small rotation of “go-to” items I eat for breakfast and rotate through. I either have a handful of granola with dried fruit and a cheese stick for breakfast, a whole wheat & peanut butter sandwich, or if I’m feeling really ambitious, a breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese and toast. I always have coffee, too. Whatever I eat has to be easily hand held - I eat on my way to work. I’d get up earlier to eat, but I’ve gotten up earlier and earlier with that thought in mind, only to be thwarted at every turn.

I used to be able to eat the same thing every day, but I got so tired of food that I also got tired of the things I supposedly liked.

Now, the only thing I eat daily without fail is a can of diet cola and 2 sticks of strip cheese in the morning for breakfast. And a banana if I have one.

Otherwise, if I try to eat the same thing two days in a row, I end up really hating that thing and throwing it out. I have a stupid relationship with food (sign me up for the nutrition pill!)

From kindergarten until graduation it was toast and Cheez Whiz every morning. Then after grad I got a summer job where we went to Tim Hortons nearly every day and I got hooked on bagels with Philly Herb and Garlic cream cheese. Almost every morning since then that’s what I have.