asahi's warning

I thought it was borderline hate speech, that’s why I was deliberating between the two. Even if not hate speech, it seemed like an excuse for asahi to throw around hate speech adjacent terms in order to be inflammatory - hence the trolling.

Really? I bet there are numerous examples of people doing that on this board and not just with Trump, and not getting warned, I mean maybe I’m wrong but I doubt it.

If you fill the brackets with things that would get moderated here for hate speech, I don’t recall seeing examples of it.

Edit: okay, even as I hit Submit, I remembered a recent poster writing that “Trump wants actual wetbacks,” referring to folks who swam across a river. So Ima pull an Emily Litella here.

Perhaps. There could be differences based on context, but these two examples are what I thought of:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=20977610&postcount=105
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=18420264&postcount=18

Granted the second was towards another poster. The first in context was not.

I think we want to cut a break for unfortunate wording in service of a good cause. But you let that stuff slide, and pretty soon the bad actors will be out in force to prove “hey why aren’t we allowed to say [whatever].”. We already know what that looks like, and it sucks.

Still and all, it could have been a sternly worded notice.

I also assumed sarcasm/parody rather than hate/troll.

The more I think about, the more the warning seems like less of a warranted thing and more like building a case for a ban.

I’m reading this as you advocating we take into consideration whether the offender is on the right side of the/some issue. If so, that seems about as bad a way to go as I can think of. If not, I apologize for misunderstanding.

As far I can tell, both of those examples were putting words in the mouth of other posters.
I really don’t get this warning. asahi was clearly calling the Virginia governor an old timey paternal racist with a kinda obnoxious rhetorical device.

Eta: also, asahi has been here over 3 years. A little late to make his stay short. :slight_smile:

I agree that it is the kind of stuff that should be moderated on the board but is not in almost every other instance.

Christ, when will you guys learn that we do not ‘build cases’ for a ban. I’ve been a mod for 5+ years now and I’ve never participated in some sort of Star Chamber like that. If we think someone needs banning we vote on it and move on. But we don’t plot and we don’t conspire to ban people.

This is how I read it, too.

I once used the N-word in a post and didn’t get warned about it. Maybe because it was a hypothetical? Not sure.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=10301042&postcount=99

Given asahi’s very recent past postings, I took him to be completely serious in what he was saying. I think Bone made the right call.

And to be clear, while I support this warning, I agree with UltraVires that it’s not been modded before. I just think now’s a great time to start, is all. Things that make the board worse should be moddable, and unless someone’s arguing that this sort of post makes the board better, I don’t think there should be pushback against modding it.

No, I think most people want to give him a break because he intended it as anti-racist parody. I tend that way myself, but I also know as soon as you let someone on the liberal side use “negro” in that well-intentioned way, the edgelords will ooze out of the woodwork to work it into conversations in ill-intentioned ways. So that’s why we can’t cut people breaks based on good intentions.

What about his recent postings makes you think he’d use the word Negro in complete seriousness?

This is bullshit modding, but then most modding around race on this board is bullshit and has been for years. So no surprises there.

scratch that

I’ll save everyone the trouble:

Do I feel I deserved to be moderated/warned for this particular post in question? No, I disagree with it strongly.

Is there other shit the mods of let slide that I could have gotten moderated for? Yeah, I’d have to say so.

It’s like calling balls and strikes. Sometimes people argue about the strike zone, but it probably evens out over time. I probably just need to take a break from political posts and stick to sports on things that don’t get my blood pressure up so much.

Asahi is obviously a liberal, and has (at times) been highly emotional about Trump and racism and everything going to hell. How on earth do you get from that a belief that asahi was sincerely stating his own beliefs here when he said “look what he’s done for the Negro”? Come on, that just makes no sense.