Ask the Freemason

I have a Masonic plate that I inherited. Are there people that collect this sort of thing? It’s about the size of a coffee saucer, and has the Masonic Star in full color in the middle. It’s cool.

How did you get introduced to the organization? What made you want to join? How did you start the process of becoming a member?

Thanks for your answers.
What about different ethnicities? Do you have Asian, Black, Hispanic etc members? Are the majority white?
I’m just trying to work out why/if Masons are different from any other Old Boys network.

We will destroy you! MWA HA HA HA cough choke… Er, sorry. We aren’t fighting anymore, are we? Thanks for the kind words, brother.

Kythereia - Job’s Daughters and Order of the Eastern Star are the only two we have, it’s kind of a small lodge - although since we’re in a major metro area there are probably those other groups meeting nearby.

Kilvert’s Pagan - While having a living Masonic relative might speed things up for you, it’s not necessary. Mentioning either living or deceased relatives will get the conversation started with another mason, but isn’t necessary. Primary attributes we seek are an honest man that’s not addicted to the intemperate use of drugs, alcohol, or gambling.

Tristan - I’m sure there are. Is it kind of like this?

pullin - Studying the Templars and got interested in Masonry because of the possible connection between them. I really was hoping to get access to some secret documents to confirm or deny my own pet theories. Alas, if these documents exist, they aren’t in a small lodge on the outskirts of Denver. My father-in-law mentioned in passing once that his father-in-law got him in, so I asked. 2B1ASK1 - call the secretary of a local lodge and tell him you’d like to learn more. Probably have an application in your hand in a matter of days.

MelCthefirst - I think my lodge is a good representation of my area, except for maybe under-representation of Hispanics. In my mind, Hispanic guys are generally a little more Catholic so might tend towards KoC. Black guys also have their own Grand Lodge that is older and, I hear, more exclusive than ours, although there is no real separation between the two. It’s a relic of the rather shameful history of these United States, but now that we’re over that whole thing, neither group is willing to be absorbed by the other, so we coexist as equals, in a way that’s difficult to explain to non-Masons. See, there is a definition of a “regularly constituted” lodge, one which a Mason can visit without compromising either his home lodge nor the visited. I, for instance, can not visit an Irish lodge but I can visit a Prince Hall lodge (and vice-versa). It’s not “separate but equal”, it’s more like the difference between the Grand Lodge of Colorado and the Grand Lodge of Wyoming. I’m probably doing a crappy job explaining it…
We’re getting more and more Asian members as the demographics of Arvada changes. Heck, we even had a Cajun fella! :wink:
Um, different, old-boys, uh, well, there is some of that going on, but not nearly as much around here as in the old days (or in England). The aim of Masonry is not to hang around and give your buddies a good deal on flooring. It’s supposed to help “make good men better” through allegory and something else… Symbolism? No… Eh, it’ll come to me.

My career thus far: Initiated April 6/98, Passed Oct 13/18, Raised Feb 1/99. I moved (ahead of my family) from Timmins to Windsor late 1999. During my time in Timmins I never missed a meeting and had just started as IG. After I moved to Windsor, I went to a number of lodges - enjoyed them all. Then after a few months my family joined me, I was busy with the move, the new job, etc. etc. Long story short, I haven’t been to lodge in 6 years - although I maintain my membership with my mother lodge (ulp, although I’m behind on my dues… gotta take care of that soon).

It’s no secret that one of the criteria for joining is a professed belief in God - atheists need not apply. When I joined, it was explained to me, “You must believe in God, however you choose to define it.” At the time I was mulling over a not-well-thought-out pantheism, and on this loose basis took my obligations. I’ve always felt a twinge of guilt about this, mainly because all the Brothers in my Lodge were Christian. I’ve since met a Muslim Brother - but I know not of any pantheists.

I’ve since refined my beliefs. I cannot, with a clear conscience, profess a literal belief in any God as documented in any sacred writing. I “worship” (as in respect and feel humility towards and thrilled by) the Great Architect of the Universe, inasmuch as I find that phrase to be a useful anthropomorphization of the physics of “creation.” I’ve just typed/retyped/deleted many attempts to describe my current better-defined version of pantheism (I use the term loosely), but in summary: If ever I use the phrase “believe in God,” at best it is ceremonial deism, and I’d use the word “believe” to mean “as in Liberty” not “as in Santa Claus.”

I sincerely respect the mainstream religions of the world, and have no qualms “worshipping at any altar” as long as everything remains in the symbolic realm, which symbols apply to matters of the human condition and not the supernatural. I miss my lodge days and wish to resume my masonic career, but both inertia and these thoughts have prevented me thus far.

So my questions to you, Bobotheoptimist, and any other non-Christian Brothers: What is your idea of God? Have you met any non-literal pantheist Brothers? Can a Freemason profess merely a respect for the idea of God, subscribe to nothing more than ceremonial deism, and still in good conscience remain a Brother in good standing? Or should I demit?

Why do you keep the metric system down? Long term it would make things better.
Do any masons actually work with stone?

Brian

If you’re seriously interested in knowing, you’re welcome to drop by my recent (recent enough to resurrect) “Ask the Ex-Mormon” thread and ask. Hell, you can find it on Wiki, IIRC.

And to Bobtheoptimist, along those same lines, how do Masons feel about Joseph Smith basically robbing you guys dry in coming up with the Mormon temple stuff? I mean, my secret Mormon temple underwear used to have a compass and a square sewn into it, for hell’s sake. Do Masons not care? Roll their eyes? Find it genuinely offensive?

Several years ago my grandmother casually mentioned that her father had been a Freemason. Having no idea what that meant, I forgot about it for a while. Is there any way to verify past members? Also someone upthread mentioned similar organizations that include women. What are the names of some of those? And why do the masons still refuse to include women?

The Bible on which I took my oaths includes a preface with the words of Albert Pike “The most abstract expression for DEITY, which language can supply, is but a sign or symbol for an object beyond our comprehension, and not more truthful and adequate than the images of OSIRIS and VISHNU”.
Pretty clear to me that there are Christian Masons but Masonry is not Christian. Since discussions of religion and politics are forbidden in lodge, how and/or what you consider the Grand Architect of the Universe is no ones business but your own. If you are a Strong Atheist, then I would think that you’d not want to associate, but otherwise I’d feel no qualms.

Native American (shaman?), some kind of old Egyptian belief, and a Druid have all been in my lodge at the same time, plus an occasional Druze with all them christians, and after that first question no one has ever asked.

This particular DeMolay and Mormon finds your post (#27),OneCentStamp, to be quite offensive.

Because a 61 centimeter gauge would not help us to divide our day.

I doubt most masons are aware of this. Me, I guess I’d say “Hmm… how about that”. The Elks (BPOE) stole a lot of Masonic ritual. Either the non-Wiccan pagans stole from Masons, or vice-versa. Much of the symbolism of the rituals are purely pagan, but with the age of the stuff we’re talking, one could have contaminated the other near a thousand years ago.

If you know where he was a member, they will have records. Womens groups - Order of the Eastern Star, Order of the Amaranth, White Shrine of Jerusalem… Open to women related to a Master Mason, in most cases. Co-Masonry is a group that’s open to men and women. Regular masonry doesn’t allow women for a variety of reasons - I was only partially kidding when I made the crack earlier about men not thinking clearly when ladies are around. It’s a matter of having a place where men can meet and strive to become better people without all the hangups that society and evolution have saddled us with - Just as there are places where men are not allowed and women meet comfortably.

And please check out this thread, which was really the thing that prompted me to start this one (that and the cranky SAN). Masonic charities give over a million dollars per day through things such as the Shriners hospitals that WhyNot referenced. We are told that there are three great virtues - faith, hope and charity. While faith is not needed after sight, and hope vanishes with fruition, charity is eternal.
That’s paraphrased, since I’ve not been to that particular ritual in a while.

If nothing else was ever accomplished in lodge, I would feel content with the time I’ve spent as a Freemason just hearing that WhyNot’s son can stand straight.

Couple of other points:

Prince Hall Lodges and Blue Lodges in some jurisdictions recognize each other and in some jurisdictions don’t.

There are quite a few Asian members of Masonry in the Philippines.

As noted above, I am a member of the Order of DeMolay, a youth group sponsored by the Masons. The comparable order sponsored by the Prince Hall Lodge is the Knights of Pythagoras. Both youth groups benefit immeasurably by their Masonic sponsorship. I do not know what the Prince Hall Lodge comparable order for young women is.

Not only am I member of DeMolay, I am also a member of the Knighthood, an order within DeMolay.

In a book called Bigger Secrets, the author says the secret password was tubal cain. Has it been changed since that?
Also, why are most floor plans black and white squares?

Actually, I have never been in a Lodge hall that had black & white tiles (my ex like that sort of tiles in her kitchen, by the way). But the squares are emblems of the good and the bad in human nature.

I recall reading or hearing some time ago that the ultimate* goal*, if you will, of Freemasonry is to get promoted up the degrees to the top (33rd?) and then you will be told the true (secret) name of god. This is supposed to give you some kind of inside information as to the workings of the universe. Sounds kind of whacky. Did I misunderstand the explanation? So what I’m asking is: What is the point of the whole thing?

Also, in the “Autobiography of Malcolm X” he seemed to have a special dislike of Masons. I never did understand his reason why. Was it because he was Black, or Muslim, or poor, or something else?

Any Buddhist Masons?

Pardon my sig. I’ve been using it for a long time because I think it’s clever.

In post # a link to a picture of a particular plate is given. If the plate you inherited is similar to the one shown in the picture, it is an Eastern Star plate. I understand that their are collectors of Masonic regalia; your plate may be worth something.

Make that post #24; my Darling Marcie insists on turning Num Lock off.

Bobotheoptimist–I wouldn’t have thought you were a Mason!

I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT…

:slight_smile:

Can you confirm or deny this story?

As General Sherman was marching toward Atlanta, he came upon the town of Aberdeen, Mississippi. As was the custom of the day, Sherman was given an audience with the mayor of the town before he set about to burning it to the ground. The mayor and Sherman shook hands, each giving the Masonic secret handshake. Realizing that the mayor of Aberdeen was a Mason, and since Masons swear to do no harm to one another, Sherman decided not to destroy Aberdeen and moved on to the next town.

This was told to me as gospel truth by a resident of Aberdeen. :dubious: