Ask the Freemason

Monty, if you’ll let me know which particular parts of that post offended you, I’ll be more than willing to step up and explain myself, apologize, or shrug, as appropriate. I’ll start off by saying that my tone was snide, more so than I meant it to be, and inappropriately so for this forum and this discussion.

What I should have asked the OP was, “How do Masons feel about significant parts of their symbolism and ceremony cropping up in LDS temple ritual after Joseph Smith was exposed to the Masons? Do they feel plagiarized? Do they not care? Are they mostly unaware?”

I just don’t believe it - small world.
ShelliBean- descendant of Aberdeen, MS masons

To the best of my knowledge, very little has changed since 1717. But, I can honestly say that tubal cain is not the password - I’m afraid that there isn’t any one word or phrase.

Peanuthead - I think most of that kind of stuff comes from outside. Although the 33rd degree of the Scottish Rite is a great honor that comes with the added responsibility of controlling major governments and destroying any who might oppose you, the true name of god (it is said) is hidden in the rituals of the third degree. <parts of this post may contain inaccurate information> :slight_smile:
I’ve no idea why Malcom X might have been anti-mason. I’ve never understood that time/place, the hatred and all just baffles me. I imagine that the lodges were pure white back then and at least some of the members were openly racist and perhaps KKK members as well. Of course, I imagine that everyone in the South back then fit into the stereotypes we see on TV, so I’m the wrong person to ask.

HeyHomie - There’s a similar story told about the Revolution, but I don’t know how true either of them might be. I’d imagine there would be some kind of promise that the mayor made. Or the war was essentially over and Sherman was rampaging… I dunno.

Such things are not unknown. A town in Pennsylvania claims Jeb Stuart burned the entire town but for the Lodge hall. But this not ring true. (I say this as a Civil War buff, not as a Mason.)

The March to the Sea began in Atlanta and pointed eastward. Mississippi is the wrong way. Still we all love our local legends. The event is not recounted in Sherman’s Memoirs. He was very defensive about rumors of his behavior during the war and left few irregularities uncommented on. Aberdeen never even made the index.

Well, he’s out. :smiley:

The whole post. The OP started a nice thread about Masonry, and you jump in with what is basically a trashy stunt against Masonry and another against the LDS.

While I don’t expect anyone to be a mind reader, it certainly cannot have escaped your attention–given your own background–that such a posting would be offensive to a certain group.

That’s right. It has no place in this forum, IMHO.

Perhaps you shouldn’t have bothered asking it at all in this thread? It has nothing to do, really, with the Masons. It’s part of your gripe against the LDS and, as such, IMHO, you should take it up elsewhere.

Hey!!! He said “intemperate” didn’t he??? yeesh. :slight_smile:

Oh, and I’m no fortune teller, but I feel confident in your response being one of two: shrug or attack. My guess is that a shrug would be appropriate in this thread, but an attack would be appropriate in the Pit. What you do is, of course, up to you.

Addicted to the intemperate use. Not just “intemperate use” or even “addicted to”, gotta be both! :wink:

Any answer to my question?

Why would a Masonic building need to be deconsecrated? Masonry is NOT a religion and none of their buildings are churches; some Masonic Lodges MIGHT hold or have held meetings in a church building but that would occur only in most unusual circumstances.

I don’t know whether it would or not. That’s why I asked the question. They generally have the word TEMPLE emblazoned on them, suggesting some form of quasi-religious function. The numerous redundant ones around Sydney seem to end up as carpet sales/ski equipment showrooms and I wondered whether something had to be done to the building once it was no longer a temple to allow it to return to mainstream use.

“I don’t need to drink! I can quit any time I want.”

“What about the Cigars?”

“They make me look cool.” :cool:

:smiley:

Seriously, though, my brother is currently in the process of joining the Masons. He’s well aware that it’s basically a social club that performs good works in the community, though.

Apparently you have to be invited to join the Masons, rather than applying to join. Is this the case, or is it decided on a Lodge-by-Lodge basis?

Other way around. One approaches a Mason and requests to be admitted to the order.

Sorry, I kept hoping someone that knew for sure would answer. To the best of my knowledge, the building itself isn’t considered blessed or anything. A number of the things inside are treated with respect, but after the closing ceremony at the end of the meeting, they are stuck in a box without any formality.

Martini - Things may be different depending on the Grand Lodge, I’ve been told that lodges in England actually <gasp> serve alcohol! That is not done around here. This may be an American peculiarity, but Monty is right - to be one, ask one (2B1ASK1 as the rather cryptic bumper-sticker says). One must seek enlightenment…

Agreed on both points. My remarks were out of place and poorly worded.

FWIW, it actually is a question I’ve always wanted to ask a Mason. However, seeing the mood I’ve brought to the thread, and the extent of answer the OP could provide, I won’t pursue it any further here. Sorry again.

I don’t know for sure either, but I’ve heard of a special ceremony performed when the cornerstone is lain. I’m pretty sure it’s not a consecration in any mystical sense - more a celebration. By extension then no deconsecration is required.

In Canada as well… not in a tyled lodge, but definitely in the building’s reception room afterwards. When I visited my first lodge away from home, so many brothers bought me a beer I had to take a cab! A great example of the idea that visiting other lodges introduces you to all those friends you have not yet met hic

OneCentStamp,

Thank you very much for post #56.

There are currently Mormons who are Masons (and I guess vice versa–Mason who’re Mormons) so, for them, it doesn’t seem to be a problem that both Masonry and their church have certain rituals.

HeyHomie, I don’t think this is true, as Sherman started from South Carolina and hung a left to make his March to the Sea.

I’d still love a reply from Hey Homie, as it is rare for me to find someone that has even heard of my hometown, much less a doper!!