Ask the Irish Guy?

o.k., asking again: (you did get to my guiness question)

Whats the gold cup?

How much is a pint of guiness?
You said guiness is 50c a pint average? Is that half a Euro?

Does everyone have red hair and is 3’ tall?

• if so, does everyone have a pot of gold?
    ** and wear green suits?
    I was semi kidding about this one, but seriously, everyone i’ve ever met from Ireland has been shorter than me (i’m 6’0") and has had red hair.
    What’s the best place to get a sheppards pie around Dublin?

Broccoli: Red hair is more common than in other countries but is still very much a minority to the extent that a real red head is likely to get teased in school. Wouldn’t happen if they were even close to a majority.
Fascinated that you think we are all small. I’m 6 feet as are my 2 sons. My brother is an inch taller. Whilst I don’t see myself as small I’m not so tall as to stand out in a crowd. Average height would be around 5 feet 10 inches for men.

If you can get a Guinness for 50 c you really have been in touch with little green men as it would cost you closer to $4

Birdgirl: But do the Irish really think we’re all fat, loud and annoying?
Lets just say that a disproportionate share of your tourists do fall into this category and whilst many are very nice some are unfortunately loud.

broccoli, my next door neighbour is from dublin.
he has 4 brothers and 2 sisters.

he’s 6’4’’, and the shortest of the brothers, his youngest sister is 6’!

so, some short, some tall, bell curves and whatnot.
i’d say a bit shorter than americans, but we don’t have the growth hormones in the meat, so there you go.
(joke)

BTW has anyone else seen the mastercard ad for paddy’s day?

"2 pairs emerald green trousers: 60 euros
1 traditional irish cottage, made in China: 10 euros
Leprechaun hats:48 euros

knowing what it is to really be irish: priceless"

I’ve seen the ad - it’s a good one.

But I don’t think I’ll be takling my credit card down the pub anytime soon. Far too dangerous. :wink:

The Gold Cup is the blue riband of steeplechasing (horse racing over fences). It is run on the final day of the Cheltenham Festival in England , where the best British and Irish jumping horses do battle every March. This year it was run on the thirteenth and it was won by Best Mate, the first horse to retain the Cup for thirty years. Irish hopes were dashed when Beef or Salmon fell at the fourth fence.

You couldn’t tell which?

I’m not asking you to cook for me then.

Yep that’s a good ad irishgirl, though not a patch on the ad for the lotto (“or … it could be her”)

That is a good ad, but has anyone else noticed the logical error in it: do the lotto or not, but you won’t actually change her chances of winning. And if she wins, and so do you, then you’ll have to share the jackpot with the hippy.

Oooooh! Please answer! What is the name of the song that Julia Roberts sang in the film Michael Collins?

Is Yeats buried in Dublin? If so, what would it take to get one of you to place a flower on his grave for me?

Did you read the book Trinity? If so, what did you think of it?

Was Molly Malone a real person?

How were those “giant stones” formed? You know, the ones that look sort of hexagonal-shaped and are down by the sea…

Have you ever studied Gaelic? Is the language considered “saved” now?

American tourists talk about Ireland being a “magical place.” Do the natives have a sense of that too?

How open are your borders to self-supporting immigrants?

I’m an imposter, but I’ll try to answer the questions that I can.

Was it that old traditional favourite “My fake Irish accent is making people’s ears bleed”? (I’m quite good at this one too) :wink:

He’s buried on the Atlantic coast near Sligo. Will do, next time I’m there. It’s also quite near the Lake Isle of Innisfree, which is in Co. Leitrim - this is a seriously beautiful part of Ireland (see “magical” below).

As far as I’ve heard, yes, but she wasn’t a fishmonger, she was a ho’.

The Giant’s Causeway was formed by lava flow crystallizing as it cooled. The same phenomenon occurs in the west of Scotland, at Fingal’s cave. I believe the hexagons go between the two under the sea (hence the name?).

IANANative, but I find certain parts of the West of Ireland magical. The rest is quite mundane, IMO.

Depends where you’re from, and how self-supporting you are. There has been precedent of millionaires ‘buying’ passports, and there may be a way of immigrating if you have a wodge of cash. EU citizens can live and work here with no immigration problems. If you’ve got at least one grandparent born in Ireland, you can get an Irish passport. You can also live here if you get a work visa that’s tied to a job.

What are you talking about? It was made by Finn McCool so he could walk to Scotland to fight the Scottish giants. Lava indeed! Also, when Finn McCool was at battle with the Scottish he scooped up a piece of land and threw it into the sea leading to the creation of both Lough Neagh and the Isle of Man. (his throw was a little off). So there. :smiley:

Zoe, Molly Malones’ statue in Dublin is affectionately is nicknamed “the tart with the cart”.

Aro, consider me bitch-slapped with my own damn hand-puppet.

BTW, when I made the “mundane” comment, I was incorrectly forgetting about the Glens of Antrim, the Mountains of Morne, and the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains, which are all in the east.

The Grave of William Butler Yeats

Molly Malone, real or fake?

Tart with the cart

Does Julia sing He Moves Through the Fair in Michael Collins?

Mountains of Mourne have too many childhood memories.

The regattas on Castlewellan lake, catching tadpoles in the ponds of the arboretum green houses there, walking through the snow in Tullymore forest at christmas, and crossing the river on stepping stones.

Being made to climb Hen Mountain and Slieve Donard when i was little, and being carried down by my dad.

The seals at Ardglass and Kilkeel, picnics in the forests, stripping off to our underwear and swimming in the rivers.

Ok, it’s Magical.

Micilin

Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?
Where’s the cakes?

Eh.

My neighborhood is primarily first generation Irish.

What I’ve noticed is that most of the women have their hair cropped very short, why do they do that?

I’ve started to notice differences in some of my neighbor’s accents, how can I tell the a northern accent from a southern accent?

And the Pebble’s called Rockall!!!

Why isn’t anyone posting to my thread in this forum?

'The tart with the cart"??? A ho??? My elementary school teacher taught that song to me! Degenerate old woman! I will never again be able to sing “cockles” with a straight face.

That is fascinating about the Giants’ Causeway. I had never heard about it until about a year ago. The photographs of it are amazing! If anyone is interested, here are a couple of shots but close ups are better:

Northern Ireland - County Antrim/Giant's Causeway

“He (She) Moves Through the Fair” is the one! (Okay, so Julia had a cheesy accent.) I’ve know the melody for about twenty years and catch it in movies from time to time. Love that song!

About the immigration: It will happen only if I’m a wealthy widow. :wink: My husband is content here in the American South which is sort of like a branch of Ireland – “Ireland West.” I guess if I live in Ireland I can always get a job doing drive-by concertina solos.

“The Lake Isle of Innisfree” was the poem that I had my students memorize – mostly because it was so soothing to me to have them recite it over and over and over…

jjimm, if you place a flower on Yeat’s grave, I will be forever grateful to you. There is no poet that I respect more.

yojimbo, thank you for the links. I see that many take flowers to his grave. How beautiful to be so loved for so long.

Thanks to all of you who responded and especially to jjimm for the offer…

ah, miamouse, the difference between a northern and southern accent…

do they sound “Oirish” to you?
or are your ears bleeding everytime you hear them speak?

the norn irn accent isn’t very pretty to hear.
it tends to use tripthongs and dipthongs where most other accents are happy with a single vowel sound.

for instance take a word like HOW.
a southern irish person will pronounce it with an “ow” sound, a northern irish person will mangle the vowel so it sounds somewhere between “hoy” and “hoy-oo”.

i can turn my accent on and off.
(Kal says i sound like i’m from the english home counties, but i was trying to speak intelligibly for him.)