Ask the Irish Guy?

What are the secret ingredients of “white” puddings and “black” puddings? Are these substances (which are alleged to be edible) safe for human consumption?
Finally, what are “bangers” composed of? I have heard that bangers actually contain meat-can you confirm this?

Of all the American actors you’ve seen trying to do an Irish accent in movies, who was the absolute worst (I know, there are so many worthy candidates for this “honor”!) and who sounded the most authentic?

Right, chipping in, since glass onion has disappeared.

Copper_Moon:
Pyraneeans are lovely, but dumb, we had one. And your neighbours will probably live in nasty stucco bungalows.
:slight_smile:

CadburyAngel:
Americans are seen as loud, fat, overly religious and not too bright. But we’re happy to take your money and make you feel at home.
Generally any sort of craziness can be excused by telling them you’re American.
It’s generally a kind of “American you say? :rolleyes: Well, that explains it” attitude.

ralph124c:
White pudding has pork sausage meat, herbs and spices and barley or oat meal.
Black pudding is the same, but with the addition of yummy, nutritious pig’s blood.
Bangers are sausages.
All are good to eat.
The Irish take great pride in their sausages, and have many varieties. Mostly pork, but beef and lamb are also available. Small butchers (as opposed to supermarkets) will often have variations, like pork and apple, lamb and rosemary, pork and herbs etc.

astorian:
The single worst accent is Brad Pitt’s in “The Devil’s Own”. He manages to go through every county in Ireland in a single sentence. This is not a good thing.

I can’t actually think of a good Irish accent that has been done by an American. Perhaps someone else can.

jjimm:

1. God save us from Mary Harney, Bertie, McCreevy et al.
  2. When your hospital is running over budget, emergency maternity care is not one of the first things that you should cut.
    Remember what happened to baby Brona? It’s just like the NHS, but with charges.
  3. maybe.

I’ve just spotted the obvious joke here… yeah, he needs some mouthwash, la.

Jon Voight did the best ever Irish accent in The General. So good I had to check if Jon Voight was actually born in Limerick. He wasn’t.

Richard Gere had a bad one in The Jackal, but noone can match Brad Pitt’s in The Devil’s Own, not even Sean Penn in Patriot Games.

And I hope Bertie gets a right good roasting in the next elections.

Have you bombed any school busses lately? :smiley:

Sean Penn in Patriot games? Huh? Did you perhaps mean Sean Bean?

Ahem…

Is traffic really bad, like Chicago? Any alternative routes? Can I stay at your house if I get lost? :smiley:

:eek: and just FTR :eek:

I remember when beer was 1.5 quid 10 years ago or around 2.25-2.50. Now it’s worse then here! I best bring more money then. :smiley:

Don’t muddle “quid” with “Euro” though - one Irish pound was €1.26. So €4 is actually £3.16.

Outside Dublin it’s a lot less of a rip-off.

Hi there. I visited Ireland about two years ago. We stayed in hostels the whole time because we are poor 20-somethings. Anyway, I had a wonderful time! I absolutely loved it. We started in Dublin, then went west to Galway (stayed in a few towns on the way) and also spent a night on Inisheer Island (the smallest Aran island). We stayed on Inisheer at the end of November and there was hardly anyone there. There is only one pub there, and nowhere to get anything to eat (the one restaurant was closed for the season), so when we went to the pub, we were the only people there, but later a few seamen came in, and they all spoke Irish to each other, but were very nice to us. We all got drunk together and it was a great time!

Anyway I really loved Galway and Dublin and had such a wonderful time. Everyone was really nice to us except for one night in Dublin, after the bars closed, we were walking home and someone heard our American accents and shouted off some rude comments to us. It was pretty upsetting.

I really can’t wait to go back. But do the Irish really think we’re all fat, loud and annoying, because I don’t think that’s the case!!

Yeah but I was there 10 years ago, you hardly had the Euro then! :smiley: I’ve still got enough money for my beer so it doesn’t matter.

Anyone from Ballycastle?

I cant believe that nobody has mentioned Tom Cruises accent in “Far and Away”. “shannon, you’re a corker” will haunt me for the rest of my days.

I love it: ‘Ask the Irish guy’ so that a bunch of other people can turn up and answer questions for him 'cos he can’t be arsed.

Aro, I see from the other thread you won’t be around, but happy birthday anyway! One day off me!

And, in me best Dubalin accint: I’ll be ‘turty too’.

Where the fuck is Ballycastle???

And I’ll be in the Harbourmaster from about 7:00. yojimbo, jjimm and mrs micilin will be there too, along with some other people porbably. Come one, come all, even glass onion, I promise we won’t ask you any questions! :slight_smile:

I think 7.00 is a bit late, innit, what with the fireworks and all?

IrishRideGirl, Ballycastle is not a million miles from where irishfella is from.
actually, norn irn being what it is, you probably know him.
:slight_smile:

I’ll be twenny-hate. And quite coincidentally within spitting distance of Ballycastle on me barf-day. Well, near as bugger-it anyhows.

Have a good one.

"FabioClone Can you understand Finnegans Wake? Is it in top secret Irish code?"

Course I can…it’s in English…all about a man(Tim Finnegan) who dies at work on a building site…his corpse is waked at his house, they have a party and stuff with porter and dancing…then he Wakes up himself and says “By the thunderin Jaysus, d’ye think I’m dead” all very funny and amusing.
**"jjimm Don’t muddle “quid” with “Euro” though - one Irish pound was €1.26. So €4 is actually £3.16. **

I’ve started calling the Euro quid, as have most of the people I know.

Dublin is a rip off as far as drink prices go. i was in wexford just before Xmas and it was only €3 for a Guinness, me jaw was on the floor!

Antrim

Northern Ireland