At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we WILL remember them

OK, I realise that there probably isn’t any kind of day of recognition world-wide which is quite like ANZAC Day. I realise that it’s probably kind of unusual in world terms for people to set their alarms for 3am, attend a dawn service for the fallen, and then spend the rest of the day getting shit-faced and gambling.

As a friend of mine said tonight - in the middle of a heated argument about ANZAC Day with one of the refugees to whom we have given safe haven : along with New Zealand, we acknowledge the horrible realities of war twice a year. We listen to your stories which relate your personal histories and grant you asylum for 363 days of the year.

Is it really too much to ask that you either join us in acknowledging the sacrifices made by our own ancestors or that you ignore the couple of days per year we choose to remember?

You don’t have to join us - we hope that, in time, you will - but please don’t think that as an Aussie or Kiwi I will just sit there and let you put shit on our right to honour our fallen, or the manner in which we choose to honour them.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

I sincerely hope that this is the closest I ever come to posting an anti multiculturalism post. I’m really aware that the people I encountered today are not representative of their communities and that many people who’ve come from other nations felt honoured and privileged to be part of the dawn services.

I’m also feeling really shattered that so many people who fought hard and long to be allowed to be a part of this nation cannot bring themselves to acknowledge this day which in no way diminishes the history or personal experiences of their countries of origin.

to live in the hearts of those we love, is not to die.

I’m sorry someone was disrespectful of your national day to honor your war dead, reprise.

Please let me extend my most heartfelt thanks to the military men and women of Australia and New Zealand, both living and dead, who helped preserve the freedom I and my family enjoy today.

Rep - I am confused by your OP. You’re saying that Australian and New Zealand have a day of remembrance that it’s not PC to celebrate? Or that some people give you shit for honouring the fallen? In what way do they do this?

Could you please be a little clearer?

Honours to the brave ANZACs who fought and gave their lives for freedom along with our troops all those decades ago, Reprise.

They have had similar issues with Britain’s “Poppy Day” (11th Nov) - in recent years the newspapers have tried to bring back the minute’s silence and encourage poppy-wearing.

At the going down of the Sun,
And in the morning,
We will remember them

To clarify - I sat at a BBQ this afternoon at which half of the people present were people who had been granted legitimate refugee status. And all they could do was put shit on us Aussies for honouring our fallen of last century over the problems with which those in their nations of origin are dealing.

Well REALLY - yes we DID acknowledge what the fuck is going on in your nation, that’s why you were granted refugee status in the first place. We don’t tell you how to honour your fallen or have a sook attack when you want the sacrifices of the people who died for your country’s freedom (which has yet to be achieved or you wouldn’t be HERE) acknowledged.

Please, if you are claiming asylum here do NOT try to tell us how we should remember or acknowledge or celebrate the sacrifices of the people who fought to make us a free nation. It is in no way disrespectful to you - personally - for us to honour those people. It is - however - extremely offensive for you to be guests in our “house” and then tell us how we should run our house.

I’m sorry for what happened in your country of origin - quite clearly, it was pretty horrific if you were prepared to move heaven and earth to come here. But you ARE here now, and by your choice. Please, don’t try to change us into some kind of idealistic version of the place you left behind. If your coming here was conditional upon us having to change, then you’re welcome to leave - and, quite frankly - I hope you do.

Lest we forget.

God Rep I cannot believe their attitude. Or stupidity. Were it not for the bravery of the ANZACs and Allied troops, Australia would likely not be the free and safe haven that it is, enabling these people to take refuge in it.