Attn: Cervaise - a dissenting opinion does not equal "ignorant"

peepthis is absolutely correct.

Cervaise, are you actually going to address the OP?

Haj

And are you going to review Almost Famous or not?

And here I thought that by deliberately ignoring the OP, they were expressing an opinion. Possibly the opinion that the OP should be ignored.

But what the heck do I know?

What? Nobody said there was pie earlier-- is any apple pie left?

With my luck all that’s left is that horrible rhubarb pie. :mad:

Da’hell?

Um, this is by far one of the most pathetic reasons for Pitting another poster I have yet seen.

Jesus, get a grip.

Yes, but what is Lynn’s stance on sniveling toadies attempting to interject her authority for her? And for your edification, pie says quite a bit about the OP’s content, is quite different than watching fireworks, tastes good, and no, you cannot have any.

Geez. Pie? Maybe that’s why Eleusis was so cranky. I mean, I only offered bagels in the “I hope you get taken to jail” thread. Just goes to show you that the right pastry fixes everything.

Eleusis, you complain in one of the linked threads that you are opposed to the police being called for every little thing. Yet here you are in the pit complaining.
You say that kids are kids and they should have some fun. Others had fun too in that thread. It was at your expense though, so here we are in the pit.

The OP of that thread could not stop and tell the driver that she was doing something wrong and so she did the next best thing: call the police.
You do have the chance to tell the person in the thread you believe he did something wrong and you took that opportunity to complain here.

I don’t have time to draw completely paralel analogies here, but I hope you’re getting my point.
If not maybe someone else can better outline it for I’ve got to go. I think you’re being hypocritical.

Up yours, jerkoff. I just call 'em as I see 'em; so don’t get your panties in a bunch just because you’re wasting our time. Pies, fireworks, lawn chairs, popcorn – it’s all the same glurge clogging up the Board.

And, Diane, how kind of you to once again contribute exactly nothing to a Pit thread.

peepthis, there is a difference. Unlike “lawnchair” comments, which do clog up a thread since they’re really just saying “I’ll wait for the argument to start,” “pie” comments are direct commentary on the OP, saying that the OP’s point is so stupid that it isn’t even worth discussing. It’s harsh, but this is the Pit. And if other people thought that the OP was worth talking over, then a pie hijack would never get off the ground. As it is, it’s a very effective way of showing Eleusis that his complaint is a crock of shit.

Once again, peep, you are using terms you do not understand. This seems to be a recurring problem with you. Glurge is sickeningly sweet sentimentality designed to elicit an emotional response from the reader. I’m not a big purveyor of glurge in this, or any other thread.

I hate to be the type of person who gets snarky over concepts he or she doesn’t quite understand. Kind of like a cross between Rosanne Rosanadana and Marge Schott. Tell us, is it as embarassing as it seems?

As an example of glurge, I invite you over to Snopes.com. Look at the Glurge Gallery. It’s sickeningly sentimental stuff.

And elf6c, I have some good 'ole Pecan pie left.

Unfortunately, you can’t have any, because…uh…er…gulp…there’s none left! Yeah, that’s it!

Well, Cervaise was being a fuckwad in those threads, but so many fuckwads were fuckwadding around in those threads that it would be unfair to single one out. – Kind of like this weekend when we tore down the goalposts after we won the football game, and 2500 people (myself included) successfully absconded with state property in plain view of thousands of witnesses while about 30 people got arrested for trying. – The OPs were overreacting, Eleusis had a valid opinion in saying so…and now he is the OP overreacting, so the cycle begins anew. The Circle of Life, it’s a string of Pit threads.

And Almost Famous was the third best movie of the 90’s (admittedly a crappy decade for film, filled with Bruckheimer trash), and its greatness is so obvious it needs no review.

Most everybody in those two thread called you a shithead in one way or another, Eleusis. Several much more empahtically that Cervaise.

I’m curious how you chose who to Pit. This reminds me of the film Paths of Glory, where a French soldier is chosen by lot to be shot for cowardice after a failed attack.

Don’t you hate it when Pit threads don’t go the way you planned?

So Cervaise -

tailgated any Mercedes’ at 90 mph recently?

that was the action you were defending, IIRC

p.s. Eleusis - you really should have more ammo before attacking one of the Clique[sup]TM[/sup] :wink:

Misusing one word should be a great embarrassment? What a bizarre world you must live in. On the contrary, I’m always keen to have any vocabulary faux pas I make pointed out. But as I’m sure you’re capable of rubbing two gray cells together (you can spare that many, I hope?), my point was that pie posts, like lawn chair posts, are dead air. Offal in the SDMB abattoir. Jester, it shouldn’t be news that a far better way to treat “stupid” OPs is to either offer an argument of your own (as several posters did), or say nothing and let the thread die a cold & lonely death. Or at the very least, since this is the Pit, disparage someone’s mother and everything they hold dear. Pie posts essentially say, “Nyah nyah, we’re not listening anymore,” and waste everyone’s time.

Now back to Waverly: it really must be a burden getting out of bed every morning, being not nearly as clever as you think you are. You never did respond to my point about why such posts should be avoided, opting instead to latch on to my “glurge” miscue. Way to change the subject. And, of course, regarding my alleged pattern of using terms I don’t understand: cite? Dumbass.

I disagree. “Pie posts” say to the rest of the SDMB “I hold this poster and/or their stated opinion in such utter contempt that it’s not worthy of a rebuttal. It is so innane, it doesn’t even merit an insult. Thus, I will discuss pie.”

It’s much like the Victorian snub where, when introduced in public to an arch-enemy, you say in a polite, but emotionless voice “I do not know you, sir.” and walk away. Per Miss Manners, this was the worst insult you could possibly hurl and still be polite. This is just like that. Only with pie.

Fenris

If “wasting time” were the barometer of what’s allowable around here, we’d all have been banned a long time ago. The point of the “no lawnchair posts” rule was, I think, tied into the “no let’s-you-and-him-fight threads”: it’s encouraging two posters to duke it out. Posts about baked goods, the comparative value of sporting franchises, or feline halitosis are indirect comments on the interest, validity, and/or intelligence of the OP, and are therefore fair game.

Just doing my part in adding to the “glurge”.