August Can't Take It Anymore: August Mini-Rants

Too bad we missed out on the 2021 Reynoldsburg Tomato Festival, held in mid-August. An excerpt from one day’s exciting activities:

2:00-4:00 PM Sensory friendly hours
4:00-5:00 PM Blue Spectrum performs on the Livingston Stage
4:00-9:00 PM “Bloody Mary Bar” in the Beer Garden
5:00-6:00 PM Align Power Yoga on the Livingston Stage
5:00-6:00 PM Senior Bingo in the Community Tent
5:30-6:30 PM Stadium 11 performs on the Main Stage
6:00-7:00 PM Tomato Wars on Davidson Drive

Note: another Columbus suburb, Gahanna, bills itself as the “Herb Capital of Ohio”.

My receptionist lived her worst nightmare the other day. She’s 25. Her 5 year old daughter started kindergarten this week and the bus ride home had mom super nervous. They’d practiced and discussed the school bus, but mom was horribly afraid.

When she went to the bus stop four little kids got off, but her daughter was not among them. Mom ran onto the bus and searched, no kid. Mom became hysterical, accusing the bus driver of being in league with the pedophiles who had abducted her daughter. Mom was freaking out so bad she began vomiting up Mountain Dew (the only thing she’d had all day).

Turns out mom had fucked up the paperwork. Daughter was sitting at school waiting for mom, becoming increasingly worried as every other kid got picked up.

I think a pure Mountain Dew diet might be the cause of a lot of those issues.

School bus drivers can’t be paid enough.

I have two friends who after retirement drove a school bus for something to do. Both quit after less than a month.

My receptionist bought a bunch of gift cards for the bus driver, along with a card where she apologized profusely (she had me spell check the card).

My mother was a school bus driver when I was growing up. It was not a glamorous job.

Today just sucks a lot. I feel terrible, I have lots of reasons to feel terrible and my brain keeps reminding me of them. I would like it to stop now.

When you’re finished gardening, you may want to consider becoming an author.

You see, now there’s the problem. Bloody Marys are best between breakfast and 2 PM.
They’re even better if you’ve been drinking some the night before.

The Best Bloody Mary Recipe - per foodiecrush

This Bloody Mary recipe makes a spicy, flavorful vodka cocktail. Add as
many toppings as you’d like to get your drink just right!
Course Drinks
Cuisine American
Keyword Bloody Mary, Cocktail
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Servings 8 to 10 drinks
Calories 37kcal
Ingredients
Bloody Mary Mix
Assembling the Drinks
Instructions
Notes
Be sure to have skewers on hand that are long enough to fit the size of your trimmings for
maximum loadability.
1 48 ounce can of tomato juice or about 6 cups
3 tablespoons prepared creamy hot horseradish
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 1/4 teaspoons celery salt
3 teaspoons garlic salt
Tabasco sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Pickle-infused vodka or regular vodka if you prefer
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon kosher salt

1. Mix the tomato juice, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, celery salt, garlic salt and black
    pepper in a large pitcher. Season with 10-15 shakes of Tabasco sauce, or to taste. Refrigerate
    until ready to serve.
  2. To assemble drinks, mix the celery salt and kosher salt on a small plate. Dip the rim of your
    glass in a shallow amount of water, then dip into the salt mix and twist. Fill an 8-ounce glass
    to the top with ice. Add 2 ounces of pickle-infused vodka or regular vodka then top with
    bloody mary tomato mixture.
  3. Garnish with limes, lemons, celery ribs, blue cheese stuffed olives, bacon strips, pepperocinis,
    cooked shrimp, hot sauce, pickles, pickled asparagus or green beans, pickled beets, chunks of
    cheese, and anything your heart desires.

Tobasco and horseradish, quite spicy! :yum: :hot_pepper:

(I miss the days when eating spicy food wouldn’t put me in the hospital.)

The only things that appeal are the Bloody Mary Bar (although I agree they’re better earlier in the day) and the Tomato Wars. Although the Senior Bingo is probably more my speed these days. :frowning_face:

Not only has the desk I ordered (and stupidly paid for) back in March still not arrived, I can’t get anyone to respond to my phone calls. :rage: It’s supposedly “delayed at the workshop” until the end of September.

Also, can someone explain why in the hell a car manufacturer will list all available options for a particular vehicle when those options have already been taken out of production? I finally found a dealership willing to order what I wanted instead of selling me whatever is on the lot, but then they contact me this afternoon and tell me that the model I’m looking at is only available to order in limited configurations. :rage: WTF, why string me along all week like this???

I’ve had a Fire TV for some time now, and until recently I haven’t had any problems (well, at least not any long-term problems) watching shows on any of my streaming services. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Whenever I try to watch anything on HBO Max, Paramount +, or Disney + it locks up and I get either a blank screen or the program freezes as soon as it starts. I have no problem watching these apps on my desktop computer, but I’d really rather not be restricted to watching shows on a 19" screen while sitting in my office. Amazon Prime works just fine on the TV, so it’s not a problem with the TV’s wifi connection.

I’m wondering if uninstalling and reinstalling the apps will help, but I’m wondering if that will clear my viewing history, favorites, etc.

I have a similar problem with the Amazon Fire Stick. Last night it was Hulu that was freezing up and going to a black screen, but I’ve had issues where the remote won’t work as well. Of course the troubleshooting guide suggests a power cycle/reboot and that usually clears the trouble but it’s happening too often for my liking.

I had a similar issue with my Smart Samsung TV a couple of weeks ago. Prime worked great, but NetFlix and HBOMax were consistently freezing or not even loading.

I’m sure you’ve tried this, but a reboot of my wi-fi router fixed the issue.

I switched to FIOS because I wanted faster internet and the salesguy was certain I could get everything with FIOS that I could with Xfinity.

I could watch Disney+ and HBO Max on my TV with the Xfinity box. Apparently I can’t with the FIOS thingy. So I could watch them on my computer (which has the advantage of being far closer) or I could get a new TV set that is a SMART TV which my current, 10+ year-old TV isn’t. I’m not certain I want to spend the money or run the risk of my work or personal laptops being hacked, which I hear is a real risk. Plus it feels as if it’s getting harder to find 32" TVs these days.

That info isn’t stored in the apps, it’s stored with the servers you connect to while streaming.

Otherwise you would never be able to use those apps across multiple devices and maintain a consistent watchlist/preferences/etc.

You’ll be fine. :+1:

Dear Hiring Company using Indeed,

I can fill that role and make you money… no problem. I’m happy to fill out your application.
But these same ‘tests’ that waste 45 minutes of my time for every job I apply for? They have got to go. I’m not sure what genius thinks throwing personality profile tests on an application is moral (or even legal) in all states. They are a waste of time anyway as it’s always the same 150 questions (with the same sad-sack voices). Are they mandatory so some mid-level manager w/i Indeed can pad their numbers and justify their salary? And why aren’t the answers simply filed ( as the questions never change )?

F.U. Indeed, for being a total waste of my time.

We had tree guys over the weekend take out two trees that were beyond my comfort zone. They are a wacky family with trucks and equipment that are iffy. They have “INSURED” painted on their truck, but when I asked about it once the old man said, “we’re good, but you know your homeowners covers you anyways”.

So, they were taking down a huge old locust tree. They had a rope secured to a branch to help guide direction of fall, but I didn’t think the rope was safe/necessary. Still, it was their operation.

So, I’m watching the skinniest family member holding on to the rope. He made a sling wrapped around his butt and leaned back with all his 128 pounds. As they cut the tree they would periodically stop, back off, and have skinny dude give a heave. On one of these “heaves” there was a crack like a gunshot, then the tree torqued/rotated and fell.

During the rotational part, the skinny rope sitter was relocated from where he was to where the tree put him. Little dude accelerated at near the speed of light. I wish I’d videoed him. Everyone ran to him, me included. He was stunned, his butt/legs hurt, but not a single bone was broken.

So… for your homeowners to “cover” this, that means he files a claim against you. Just sayin’, that’s how it works. Your insurance company will surely want to investigate this, especially if he (or his lawyer) claim the top amount covered.

You would then have to counter that he misrepresented his own insurance status, both by the truck and his initial assertion of “yes” if he did make the claim. Your insurance company will then have to decide to fight the guy, or settle, none of which are good options for your future rates. Or coverage by the company.

But, yeah… that wasn’t assurance of his having insurance coverage to my ears. That’s an assurance of ‘I’ll file a claim on your insurance if my guy gets injured’.

I agree. But we’ve been using this family’s business for a long time now. There are tree services with a bucket truck, then there are tree services like this family where someone climbs trees in lieu of a bucket truck (and charges 1/3rd the price).