Holy shit, I was thinking he tripped and fell onto the ground or something, not a 15’ fall. Into concrete!
Aww, thanks.
Adding a genuine rant to this, I finally got the report stuff I needed from Always Late today, and the system to enter the data appears to be down. I’m a bit worried because I was expecting to get a system email stating our reports were past due, and I didn’t. So either the entire system is down or something is really fucked with my account.
If you’ll allow a little self-pitting, I screwed the pooch on the Michigan primaries today. I didn’t realize this was apparently a big deal election until the last 48 hours. I cast my vote this morning but I have mixed feelings on my Senate pick. I’ll save the specifics for some other thread. But basically I should have done better research. That might not have changed my vote, but I don’t like going into voting Day feeling like I don’t have the full picture. AND there was an unexpected referendum thingy but fortunately it was a millage hike for public school funding, which is a no-brainer.
I’ll do a better job next time.
Yeah… the house is raised 15-20 feet into the air because they live off a river that floods regularly. They installed a lift several years ago to help takes things (and themselves) up from the concrete pad to the front porch.
And for some crazy reason they removed the railing around the opening up top on the front porch, and he fell through that hole onto the concrete and lift equipment down below. Just a stupidly easy-to-prevent thing.
I’m sure I’ve seen that plot in an Agatha Christie !
Good for you. Sounds like “a teachable moment”.
My wife works the polls, and was laughing about all the students who get their ballot, go into the booth and start scrolling through each candidate. She can hear them: “Willard Cogsworth? Y’all shittin’ me now! Whoa, he’s in the Term Limits for Senators Party… 'zat a thing?”
I had to admit I’ve done that on occasion…
This is a micro-rant, and one that could not be repeatable in the first-world countries where most of you reside.
I used to employ a lady to clean my house. Au pair, domestic worker, maid, whichever term works for you. She did one 5 hour shift a week, my home was a single-bedroom flat, and I am not a messy person.
I randomly noticed things going missing while she was in my employ; a black waistcoat (shortly before her son was due to graduate), an envelope containing £300, some Spanish-made shoes (the brand is Camper, I cannot extoll their virtues in sufficiency). And other, minor things.
So yeah. I chose badly in choosing her.
But my rant is not about her, as much as she pisses me off.
My rant is about those fucking ghoulish evil debt collectors who now make up more than 70% of my incoming phone calls. She added my number to some account and now I am supposed to be the authority on this person I barely know.
I do not know where to find Letitia, debt collectors, I honestly do not know.
Even if I did know; at this point I would lie out of spite. She just stole from me. The debt collectors are relentless.
Sleep apnea appointment. I am using moving to a different town as an excuse to get rid of my horrible doctor.
New guy is nice, but he told me I need to use my CPAP more. It’s true I missed a week in February because of a respiratory illness. But because I haven’t been on it long, it amounts to only 69% usage.
It’s true sometimes I rip it off in the middle of the night because it keeps waking me up. But that doesn’t happen all the time.
I had asked horrible old doctor’s office to fax my medical records to new place, and dropped off a signed release form in person. Do you think they faxed them? They did not.
On the way out the door I discovered I lost my credit card. Lovely. I have no idea where it is. There are papers all over the dining room and mailbox area because we don’t have living room furniture yet and things are kind of a mess. So maybe it’s at the bottom of one of these piles. Or maybe it’s in my car somewhere. Sigh.
uff da! i’m sorry you are dealing with all this. really sorry for the person who found him after the fall.
on florida, the carl hiaasen books really show case the crazy. are there no trauma hospitals in florida? many people in his books have extreme injuries and do not go to hospital.
In my defense, this summer we found a house, closed on a house, moved into said house, and are in the process of selling the old one. We went on an ill-timed vacation somewhere in the middle of that. My son had a sleep study, was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, and had surgery last week. I’ve been writing federal grants non-stop for months and have had to work on weekends.
When you have a lot of logistical stuff to do you don’t spend a lot of time thinking about politics. Which might be a blessing these days.
Sigh… maybe I need to do that. Protocol here is that I add my name to a “Wants A New Doc” list, and they call me back “no later than November”.
Meanwhile, I keep running into my doctor in church, we chat amiably, and neither of us mention why he’s “unavailable” to give me my 2025 physical, or to review my prescriptions.
This (and embarrassingly missed diagnoses) is part of why I want to change. We’re going on ten months that it’s taken them to send the MRI of my spine to my chiropractor.
That’s a weird dual relationship!
Mine kept telling me I have mild sleep apnea when my lab report indicates it is moderate, and on at least one occasion brought in someone else’s medical chart, which is probably why he keeps saying I scored a 7 instead of a 21. He spends all of five minutes with me and ordering new supplies is a massive pain in the ass.
Whereas the new doctor said “get your stats up to 70% usage and I’ll give you a script for a year.”
Florida is a big state, so that probably describes rural Florida more than anything (and even that is probably because hospitals are scarce in rural areas; that’s a national problem though, not a Florida problem). My cousin is a nurse who lives and works in Florida, so I assure you they exist and people use them.
Well, we saw this coming and it still sucks.
Our agency has been funded by MDHHS, including VOCA (Victims of Crime Act) funding for decades. Recently due to the drop in prosecutions of white collar crimes, we’ve been informed that VOCA cuts are happening.
We had asked the state to step in and they committed some money in support of victims of crime but not the full amount necessary to keep funding at current levels.
We got the numbers today.
VOCA - 18-20% reduction
Sexual Assault Counseling Services - 8-11%
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners - 8-11%
This adds up to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
These cuts are across the board the same for every victim service provider in the state.
Which means
- Further reduction of staff (we already lost 15 people)
- More pressure on me and my team
- Way fewer staff to support survivors statewide, at a time when domestic violence lethality and injury severity is rising
What can you say? It’s the worst.
And I’ve already got staff members breathing down my neck constantly about how they need more people. I don’t know what to tell you. Vote Democrat.
$700 later, and the leak in the sprinkler feed line is fixed, which has resulted in discovering the other leak in the sprinkler feed line that is the one actually causing the problem.
We turned the sprinklers on a few weeks ago, and our basement promptly flooded. Turned the sprinklers off.
Water gets to our sprinkler system by a pipe coming out of the house. The pipe comes out of the foundation, through a small flower bed, and then through a low concrete wall surrounding the flower bed, and finally into the sprinkler box with the manifold. We dug out the flower bed to reveal the pipe, pressurized the sprinklers, and found a leak where the pipe went into the concrete wall.
Got that leak repaired today, went into the basement and saw water starting to come out of the floor. Didn’t seem like that much leaked during testing… Went out and dug out the other end of the pipe, near the foundation, turned the sprinklers on, and sure enough, water is coming out of the foundation around the pipe.
Next step is to find where the pipe enters the foundation in the basement ceiling. It is a finished basement, so this will involve measuring, guessing, and carefully removing 1970s fake wood paneling.
Also, when I pressurized the sprinklers I forgot to close the drain valve, so the floor in the furnace room flooded. Sucked up 6 gallons of water with the shop vac, which was enough for me to clean the spiders off the floor drain so the rest of the water could flow out.
Oh yeah, and the basement is where my wife keeps most of her horde, so while this is all going on I’m having to climb around plastic tubs filled with yarn, fabric, and for some reason IBM electric typewrites.
We need a monthly mega-rant thread.
I ran out of diesel today.
Fortunately not on a major road, and flat enough to push the truck to the side. Close enough to walk a few kilometres to a place to get a few litres.
But, FFS, that “low fuel” indicator light in the dashboard has been threatening me for at least two days.
Why did I not pay it a modicom of attention???
In short, I pit me.
Oh man, I did that once on an expressway. Once was enough, I’ll tell you.
Geez, man, I fill up when the tank is much below 1/4. If the low-fuel light comes on – which has almost never happened – I’d consider that a goddam emergency!
Maybe the mild climate down there gives one a relaxed and careless attitude! ![]()
I share your POV. I actually start getting a little uneasy at 1/2 tank, worried at 1/4, and would freak right out if that low-fuel light came on. As a much less experienced driver, I ran out of fuel ONCE, and learned the lesson.
That happened to me… once. I filled up at a half tank ever since. It has taken a while to get used to driving to a 20% charge on my Ioniq 6.