Avatar holdouts: going to stick to your guns or eventually get one?

https://www.comicscondensed.com/image/Galactus-Emerges-final.png

(I googled “galactus png”)

Interesting. Let’s talk. I wonder if we have any in common. You first.

Let’s do this in PMs so no one’s feelings get hurt.

Nice, but Kirby.

(is that a pizza planet?)

Nom nom

It seems like you went out of your way to stick to your guns.

Strange to still read sentiments like this at this point.
For so many years we essentially didn’t have this functionality* because it would clearly lower the tone or whatever.
Now, many many years later it’s added and… What a surprise no one cares about the avatars they are just a handy way to visually distinguish posters.

Does anyone have a cutesy avatar? Mine might be closest, and it was just by chance; I literally opened a folder on my computer that had many images and picked the first small image I saw. It’s not my dog and I don’t even really like it, but it is associated with my posts now, so I won’t change it.

* I’m aware that there was sort of a way to hack avatars in, but most posters, including me, never bothered. Seemed like a lot of effort, and from the sounds of things, frequently broke.

Okay, I’ve been convinced to make the effort.

Install uBlock Origin as a plugin, right-click on the avatar, hit “block element”. Make sure the avatar is selected and that it shows a .png file as the link, and hit “create”.

That’s why I find blank avatars unhelpful.

It’s a case of people going out of their way to obscure the fact that they posted on a thread, and trying to make their posts less immediately recognizable.

If they want to keep a low profile and fade into the white mist, that’s their right, of course, but you’d think they’d want their posts to a least register on the awareness of people who process information more visually.

(Case in point – I scrolled up and down this whole thread twice looking for that post by @kaylasdad99 before I found it.)

These days there are multisensory teaching techniques because students process information in different ways. I get that visual information is unimportant for some, but it’s important for many (most?) of us. Distinctive avatars have a practical use.

There have been a couple of threads like that. Here’s one:

Post your idea on that thread, and I’m sure someone will come up with an avatar you like.

I use a photo of my favorite electric guitar made by PRS.

I guess in a way it does represent me and my love for music. It’s the life that I wish had been attainable.

I honestly don’t find them any easier to remember or distinguish than actual user names.

And I think they’re so small as to be just smears mostly. I sure can’t distinguish enough to catch any inference or connect with the reference it makes.

I too wish there was an opt out. And I truly fail to understand what was worth the big fight for some tiny little indistinguishable smears of no discernible meaning.

I mean, I’m glad you’re happy to have finally achieved this awesome thing, that clearly does something for you, but I’m still outside the whole thing wondering how this teeny little thing could make such a big difference to anyone that it was worth the long, long ongoing battle.

At this point, I’m just delighted they’re so small, unimpactful, not animated, the presenters are pleased and fight finally over.

I have resorted to putting a few people on ignore because their avatars are so ugly.

I’ve tried selectively hiding avatars using uBlock Origin’s element blocker. The avatar disappears, but immediately reappears if I go to another thread or reload the page. I can’t figure out why.

Sounds like you’re using a tiny phone screen. Not everyone is.

Nope, iPad. They are small, and I can’t tell what the devil that’s supposed to be. I’m glad it makes the user happy, but you’re kidding yourselves if you think people can distinguish from that little smear whatever wildly clever thing you’re referencing.

On my screen they are less than a mil each side. But hey, if it makes someone feel represented, great. I’m just happy they don’t, move and have sound.

Wow! Has it occurred to you that everyone else is seeing far larger avatars?

I’m not sure what theme, or blocking software, or browser you’re using, but if you’re not seeing reasonable sized avatars that’s seriously weird.

Has it occurred to you that LOTS of people actually DO access the board on their phones? I have zero blockers, use safari and, I assume, other users also have the theme I chose.

Like I said, I’m happy you’re happy. But the size of the fight, seems out of proportion to the nothing burger they amount to, in the end. Just my opinion, I’m sure it’s just me.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. I like that they aren’t bigger, bolder and more in my face. If it’s doing something for you, I’m happy for you, and glad y’all got your way. Enjoy your victory!

It sounded like you were complaining, so I’m very glad to know that you’re not! :grinning:

(That’s a smiley face, by the way, in case it’s too small on your screen. I hope you don’t dislike emojis as well.)

I just opened this thread on my phone and the avatars(and emojis) are definitely bigger relative to text size than on my desktop. The avatars are about half the size on the phone as on the monitor. Ditto the emojis.

I don’t know how to get you.

What would you call it? You’ve devoted a lot of verbiage to something you claim not to give a crap about.

Visual information is pretty important on a message board that’s accessed by most everyone visually. Duh.