I agree with all of that. They made a very forgettable film with a very forgettable villain. I don’t even remember her name.
They made a very forgettable film with a very forgettable villain. I don’t even remember her name.
I don’t remember that there was a villain. I’m not even kidding, I forgot that. I’m going to Google it.
Okay, I did, and I see her name (Dar-Benn) and picture, and still don’t remember her. Apparently, she was an Accuser like Ronan. I swear I paid attention when I watched the film, and still don’t remember her.
Fun fact, in real life the actress who played her is married to Tom Hiddleston (the actor who plays Loki). Keep it in the family I guess!
I almost want to go onto Disney+ and rewatch the movie, because I forgot so much of it… But I don’t think I’m going to spend the time to do it.
But I don’t think I’m going to spend the time to do it.
But flerkens.
(Not to be confused with butt flerkens.)
But flerkens.
Hey, I liked Captain Marvel. It wasn’t great but it was good enough for a rewatch. I really like Brie Larson as an actor too (I liked her in Community and Scott Pilgrim also, all very different roles). Flerkens are fine, but not enough.
Other than Guardians, the MCU has not done well with relatively unknown characters.
It’s not like Iron Man was a major property before RDJ made him iconic.
Yeah, the only reason Marvel still had the rights to make an Iron Man (or Thor, or Captain America, or Black Widow, or Hawkeye) movie is that no one else wanted them.
the only reason Marvel still had the rights to make an Iron Man (or Thor, or Captain America, or Black Widow, or Hawkeye) movie is that no one else wanted them
Pretty much; the best-known/most popular Marvel characters among the general audience before the MCU started were likely the X-Men and Spider-Man, and maybe the Hulk.
Everyone forgets that the MCU was third stringers because the rights to the A and B teams were all already sold. And while Iron Man was a hit, the franchise did not become a phenomenon until The Avengers which until it actually opened was still a very big swing with a chance at failure.
the MCU has not done well with relatively unknown characters.
I don’t think this is the issue, the MCU did well with everything before Endgame. They just can’t accept that Endgame WAS the end. We watched those movies for ten years, they had a start middle and END. There was room for a couple denouement movies, but to just keep going and pretend it’s just going to be popular forever is silly. This days you NEED a popular character and a well written movie, used to be one or the other would carry you, but those days are over.
(rare comic reader here)
It’s like, I like Black Panther. I like the characters, I like the plot.
But it doesn’t fit in our world. I found myself siding with Erik (except for the murder parts) I agree Wakanda shouldn’t just sit smugly in its hidden futuristic world while other African nations are poor and exploited and murdering each other. It’s all well and good in the 1960s to have secret hidden nations, and the heroes come out to do their hero stuff in our world. Not in the present day, though.
To be fair, the movie did address this, somewhat. Maybe that’s why I like it - I’m not burdened by the decades of the comic.
It’s worse than that even, in the “eyes of Wakanda” cartoon they show that they’ve had that futuristic technology for hundreds of years.
I don’t think this is the issue, the MCU did well with everything before Endgame. They just can’t accept that Endgame WAS the end. We watched those movies for ten years, they had a start middle and END.
That’s certainly been part of the issue, for me, at least. I adored almost all of the MCU films, up through Endgame. I just haven’t felt engaged, in the same way, with the post-Endgame films, though I did enjoy some of the TV series (especially Loki).
As for me, I hated InfinityWar/Endgame. It felt like I spent all that time and ..this is the ending? It was (to me) incredibly stupid, considering especially how good the other films are.
So now I just ignore most of them. I liked the new Cap. Black Widow. But they are (more or less) stand alone.
I just haven’t felt engaged, in the same way, with the post-Endgame films, though I did enjoy some of the TV series (especially Loki).
I haven’t given up on them, but there definitely isn’t the same joy that there used to be.
Spider-Man has been the best recent MCU film series IMHO. And that’s only half MCU, technically.
I loved the Deadpool films but I don’t even really count them as MCU. They are their own weird, wonderful thing.
I really like Brie Larson as an actor too (I liked her in Community and Scott Pilgrim also, all very different roles).
Are you confusing Brie Larson with Alison Brie? I don’t remember Brie Larson in Community.
She was in three episodes in seasons 4-6.
When Abed was set up with two different women for a dance (a member of Shirley’s church by Shirley and a manic pixie dream girl by Annie), Brie Larson played Rachel, a women who appreciated the Abed was doing the “two dates in one night” bit, and she and Abed had a relationship in a couple more episodes
It’s not like Iron Man was a major property before RDJ made him iconic.
Film 2008, Comics 1962, then his own comic in 1968. then the Avengers
Pretty much; the best-known/most popular Marvel characters among the general audience before the MCU started were likely the X-Men and Spider-Man, and maybe the Hulk.
The Avengers was big, very popular. In the 60s it was Fantastic Four, Spiderman and the Avengers. 70s- X men and Spidey, 80s was Spiderman, X men, and Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars/
2000s- Spidey(again), Ultimates (Avengers, sort of) and Civil War.
Making Spiderman the overall most popular until the the Iron Man film. but others were in there.
I don’t think this is the issue, the MCU did well with everything before Endgame.
The Incredible Hulk lost money and was rated 6.4 - not good, but not terrible. Hardly “did well”, did “kinda adequate” would fit better.
They just can’t accept that Endgame WAS the end.
Why should they? I mean the franchise was doing well with 20 solid money makers and one that didnt lose that much. I mean- why kill off Iron man, Cap. and Black Widow? Sure Downey wanted out, but it is a suit.
She was in three episodes in seasons 4-6.
Brie Larson played Rachel, a women who appreciated the Abed was doing the “two dates in one night” bit, and she and Abed had a relationship in a couple more episodes
Yes. She was the mousy “coat check” woman initially who ended up dating Abed for a while.
That character, Envy in Scott Pilgrim, and Captain Marvel are about as different from each other as you can get, and I think she did a pretty good job in all of them.
I also thought she was entertaining when appearing as herself in Between Two Ferns.
I’m reading rumors that she’ll be in Doomsday, though nothing confirmed. (When asked if she was in it, she reportedly said, “You know I can’t talk about that.”)
And, of course, she won an Oscar for portraying a woman held captive in a single room for years in Room.