Bacon fries

You have not been mislead on that score. I think one of the questions on the application for vendors is “What type of food do you intend to serve on sticks?”
I can’t belive no one has suggested bacon-fried scotch eggs for breakfast.

…onna stick.

If you deep-fry bacon in bacon grease, is there a net input or output of oil into the vat?

Yeah-it would be big. I envisioned a conical deep-fried dough rising from the stick to contain any pieces that fell off the remainder during consumption. If we can make the stick from densely packed deep fried cornbread, then you can eat the stick, too.

If you haven’t seen one before, here’s a Hamdog. Yum.

Ugh. You’ve got that right. I nearly forgot that it’s almost time to start listening to cow-orkers prattle on about the latest nauseating food-on-a-stick that they tried at the Fair. Though, to be fair, most of the disgusting entries are sugary treats, deep fried – Twinkies, candy bars, Ho-Hos, and Oreos were all present last year.

Come to Iowa. Home of deep fried food on a stick. And don’t forget all of our other exciting features… uh, the corn, and hog farms, and oh, that place where they filmed Field of Dreams.

Ah, that would be the infamous “1920’s-style field”, huh?

I’m a big fan of bacon. A place where I used to live made bacon poutine. Fries, mozzarella (yeah, I know it’s supposed to be cheese curds, but they used mozzarella and it was AWESOME anyway), gravy, and topped with a few slices of crumbled crispy bacon. Ahh, it is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.

If you could make this, using bacon fries as well… I think I’d be buying a plane ticket.

Oh man. I have it. Not only would I sell bacon fries, and possibly BLTs, and maybe bacon poutine, but I could offer to “baconate” your food.

That walleye-on-a-stick you just got from the other booth? For a buck twenty-five, I’ll baconate that for you – dunk it in the bacon grease for 30 seconds, give it a nice flavor kick. Or there could be “baconate deluxe”, in which I wrap your previously-purchased food-on-a-stick in bacon and deep-fry that. Guaranteed moneymaker. I wouldn’t even need to sell bacon fries – well, I should, just to get the word out and all.

I’m thinkin’, you see.

:::: wife standing by with defibrilator handy ::::

I can work on the marketing for you, but I think we may want to strike a deal with our local trauma center (HCMC for those playing at home) for free ambulance rides when your clients’ arteries clog up. Maybe we can even make a deal with the Mayo Clinic! Think about all the experience this could mean for their med students! And we could offer to baconate their meds!

I mean, wouldn’t hospital life be so much better if all hospital food was baconated?

Wouldn’t psychiatric care patients actually WANT to take their medication if it was baconated?

Think of all the money you can make off the pharmaceutical industry! It’s a win-win! Your original fair clients will need the medication! Double the profits!

Thinkin’? Man, you’re geniousifying! This doesn’t have to be limited to State Fairs! Add a dip in batter first, and The Baconator should be set up right next to every Subway! Why, their little heart healthy stamps would bust into flame when the Baconator set up shop.

Hmm, baconated, eh? I could get on board with that.

Here’s a thought, Do you live in a college town? I can see the baconater parked near the local campus during the day and then right around bar time park that baby near the Frat Houses!

You’d make a mint.

Yo! I’m your man. Gimme a few months, and I’ll want 20% off the top.

Don’t tease me! It’s Sunday. I’m hungry. I live in Chicago. Where is this place?

Whoops. You did say on Saturday. Anyhow. I’m sure I’ll be hungry again in six days. Share your knowledge!

For each sandwich:

Fry three strips of bacon
Drain most of the fat from the frying pan, keep in reserve.
Assemble sandwiches with two slices of bread, two slices of cheese, and the three strips of bacon between the slices of cheese.
Grill sandwiches in bacon fat until the bread is just between golden and brown, adding more fat to the pan as needed. Repeat until you run out of ingredients.

I’ve always panfried french fries in bacon grease when I have it. I like salty things, but I’ve never needed to salt those fries. The bacon provides enough seasoning as it is.

I don’t want to talk about our cholesterol levels. We don’t have these things nearly as often as we’d like, but more often than our doctors would like us to enjoy them.

Mmmmmmm…bacon-fried donuts. To die for.

Mmmmmm… bacon cake washed down with bacon beer.

This may sound like heresy, but I don’t think you would have to use 100% bacon fat. I fried some chicken (in lard) last week and , just for the heck of it, cooked 3 slices of bacon in the lard before I put the chicken in. The chicken had a nice bacon-y flavor. So maybe you could just do a 70% lard, 30% bacon fat blend?

And yes, a Scotch Egg, fried in bacon fat, and stick-ified would be heavenly!

Ok, I tried the bacon fries thing now. I cooked and froze 30lbs of bacon pieces and ends for salad and had two gallons of fat. Tried cooking fries in it, and almost recreated the old Seattle fire. It needs antifoam, at any kind of higher temp it foams up amazingly. I was cooking in a 5 gallon pot on a big restaurant gas stove, got the fat up to 350 F and dumped in one potato of cut and washed fries, In seconds it foamed up the 18 or so inches right to the top of the pot, I had to turn the gas off before it when FHOOF :eek: :eek: . I fished the not yet fires out and let it reheat, then tried again with only 1/4 of a potato worth, Same deal, but this time I was able to keep the foam from going over the top by beating it with a whisk. Finally got the fries cooked. To me at least they taste like normal corn oil cooked fries but already salted. :confused: certainly not worth the effort.

Spoilsport.