Bacon Jam has been invented!

Bacon Jam! Sounds real yummy!

Ergh. That’s it, I’m changing my username.

Eeeewww

Isn’t that what happens when there’s a fault in the bacon machine?

I just lost interest in the PB & J sandwich I was eating for breakfast…

I thought bacon jam was just the congealed grease left over. Ugh.

End user here, for some months.

The first conclusion I’ve come to is these clowns (from Seattle, after all) got too cutesy with the name. Uniformly, the negative reactions I’ve seen (probably 60%) have been to the word “jam,” leading people to think “jelly,” leading people to think “OMG, they want us to eat bacon with peanut butter” or “another trendy inappropriate vehicle for bacon.”

I have no interest in any of the bacon vodka or bacon jellybean or bacon whatever gimmicks.

This (like bacon salt, the seasoning not the poster, though no offense to same) is different. The idiots should have called it “bacon onion reduction” or something, and the whole offputting notion of “jelly” or “jam” wouldn’t get in the way of things. This is two sweet-but-savory things (onions and bacon) cooked down, hyper-caramelized, and enhanced with a bit of seasoning. Like fried onions? I do. This is the next step in that thought process.

So: I like it pretty well. Again, eliminate the word “jam.” Think “onions cooked down till they turn to a brown, caramelized paste, and then further flavored with some pulverized, equally cooked down maple bacon.” It doesn’t taste, per se, of onions, or bacon, and certainly not “jam.” It’s a savory spread, that’s all. Good on toast or crackers. Decent as a sandwich spread. An interesting if gimmicky adornment to a BLT. Certainly less vile to the faint of heart than Marmite (though most people who like Marmite should be okay with this).

Um, what’s wrong with bacon and peanut butter? A PB&B on toast is pretty darn tasty. I was introduced to them in a Vermont diner about 30 years ago so it’s not part of the current “what can we stick bacon in or on?” trend. I haven’t had one in years, out of respect for my arteries.

What I imagined when I read the thread title was pretty much what you described.

Bacon-things. Is it becoming the new lolcats?

What’s next. Bacon [tries to think of something that might not actually exist… icecream? No. Coke… maybe?]

I dunno, my experience with bacon salt (the product not the user) experience makes me leery. A friend went to all the trouble of mail ordering bacon salt for me as a gift, and when I tried it if tasted like some glop vaguely reminiscent of bacon – if you kind of squinted your nose.

Them’s fightin’ words.

But seriously, I agree that it’s the word jam that’s so off-putting. They should have called it bacon sauce. Hell, even bacon marmalade would have been better. But all those still sound pretty gross.

ETA: Bacon aspic?

Bacon Chutney?

Only had it on burgers from Skillet.

It is quite good.

It shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence as Marmite except for how unsimilar they are.

For Christmas, I made a bacon jam: this recipe was my guideline. I fried some good bacon until crisp, then removed it and drained some of the grease and fried red onions in the remaining grease. I crumbled the bacon back into the onions, and I added some bourbon and brown sugar. We ate the resulting jam on goat cheese-smeared crackers; it was spectacular.

Oh, I know, and I’ll see you and raise you a banana.

I think “chutney” might work. Maybe also “relish” – *cf. *http://www.amazon.com/Patum-Peperium-the-Gentlemans-Relish-2-5oz/dp/B000NUB9YI

, for which I vouch on toast.

Dude, you must have been very disappointed the first time you tried Yorkshire pudding!

:stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

You start a thread with a provocative title like this and then there’s no link where I can buy the stuff? :mad: Never mind. A quick google revealed that it is available on line http://www.skilletstreetfood.com/baconjam.htm

Though Left Hand of Dorkness’s recipe seems easy enough. Maybe I’ll try that.

The Times version cooks up tasty but IME lacked the . . . homogeneity of the Skillet version, which has a very consistent, easily-spreadable texture – kind of like a particularly stiff large-grain mustard. I think the Skillet people chop the elements a lot more than the Times instructs you to, and press/drain a good bit more of the cooked-off fluid.

Both are just fine.

Oh, and an interesting variant of this could be formulated using:

Arguably the best bacon I’ve had (and increasingly, a critical darling, but overlook that annoying fact). Though be warned – when they say smoked, they mean smoked, so it works a bit differently than if you start with mild maple cured or unsmoked bacon.

I thought a Bacon Jam was a bunch of pig musicians.

But I must have been thinking of a Pork-estra.