Bad news... my grandpa died this morning

My grandpa had emphysema for about 10 years but it was really bad this last year. He was barely able to walk 3 feet without losing his breath. He woke up this morning and couldn’t breathe and the paremedics couldn’t save him.

I work in the same building as my mother and when she came to my desk this morning I wasn’t prepared at all for what she was about to tell me. I was in shock for a second and then the tears came. I began crying and shaking uncontrollably for who knows how long. Just writing this is making me cry. I’ve never lost someone so close to me before. Sure, I’ve lost a few friends and relatives but no one that I was as close to as my grandpa.

I’m going to try to make it through work today and then this evening our family will get together and mom & dad will tell us what’s going on as far as funeral arrangements and when we’ll have to leave to go back to Ohio sometime this weekend.

My grandparents lived down the street from us until I was about 13 years old so they were a big part of my life and we always had a lot of fun together. I remember being about 8 years old and sitting on his lap and watching him push his teeth out of his mouth and suck them back in. I didn’t know they were dentures at the time so when he told me that I could do it too if I pushed really hard… I believed him. He got a really good laugh out of watching me push on my teeth for about 10 minutes trying to get them to pop out. How silly. He was a really funny man and always made me laugh. We had a lot of great times together.

I’m glad that he’s not suffering and not struggling to breathe anymore. And I’m very glad that I had the chance to go back to Ohio and visit them last October. I’m also glad he was able to see his great grandchildren and that we have pictures of my kids with him.

I’ll miss you terribly grandpa and I’ll always remember everything you taught me and all the fun times we had. I love you.

Sorry to hear of your loss! It’s always hard losing someone that important to you. Maybe you should just go home and allow yourself time to grieve?? Look at those pictures, remember all the fun you had and have a good cry…

I’m kinda new and you don’t know me but my thoughts are with you.

{{{{Rachelle}}}}

MomCat

I second the suggestion to go home. You need to be able to grieve without holding it in. Cry. It takes a little while for it to sink in.

{{{{{Rachelle}}}}}

{{{{Rachelle}}}}

::grandfather chuckling as St. Peter is trying to pull his own teeth out::

((((((((Rachelle)))))))

Your grandfather sounds like a wonderful man. I’m so sorry to hear that he passed away. When my grandmother died, my bereavement counselor told me to use the four "T"s to get through the grief – talk, touch, time, and tears. It made sense to me when I was eleven, and it still seems appropriate now. If it’s possible, I’d suggest going home early from work to take some extra time to be with your family or listen to a song that your grandfather liked or just cry.

You’ll be in my thoughts.

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss Rachelle. I know it’s hard to hear now but the pain of losing him will fade, it just takes time. Just remember the wonderful memories you have of him and he will stay in your heart.

(((((((Rachelle))))))))

I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa.

I’m very sorry, Rachelle. You and your family have my deepest sympathy.

Ny sincerest condolences to you and your family, Rachelle.

I just went through this two weeks ago. I am very sorry for your loss, and my thought are with you and your family in this difficult time.
Rose

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

So sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you…

I’m so sorry, sweetie.

Losing someone you love just plain stinks, and I know that nothing I say will make it any better.

All I can do is send you hugs, and prayers. You and your family are in my heart, and in my prayers.

((((((Rachelle)))))

Scotti

Rachelle, I am sorry for your loss. As others have said, you will be in my thoughts. I can’t say I know how you feel, even though I have lost folks very close to me, but I can try to imagine. In spite of myself I laughed when you told the teeth story. When I was five I had a great uncle who covinced me that if you sprinkled salt on a bird’s tail you could catch it. I spent all morning by his back door with the salt shaker in my hand. GO HOME, you need time for just yourself. Don’t feel guilty about it either!

{{{{{Rachelle}}}}}

I’m so sorry to hear it Rachelle. It’s never easy losing someone you care for and my words are probaly inadequate atm, but cherish the memories always.