"Band name" "Jump the shark" And other moronic cliches

LOL !

Hi Opal?

Og Smash? Gotcha Ya? Fucko Off?

Jack Dean Tyler?

Now THAT would be a great band name. Anybody need one?

I think you would have to use the full version –

Jack Dean Tyler and the Tug-Ahoys.

“If xxx is outlawed, than only outlaws will have xxx.”

I’m also throughly sick of the word “asshat”.

The only time that a “Jump the Shark” reference made me laugh was when it surfaced as a Simpsons couch gag.

[homer]
It’s funny because it’s true.
[/homer]

[Baha Men] Who let the dogs out? woof woof! [/Baha Men]

Now there’s something for elf6c and his puppies… :smiley:

Or how about these?

“How about we drop you off at #4 Rd. and Alderbridge?”

“Are you sure you haven’t bombed? Go to the bathroom, NOW!”

“Yes, I am going to take a shower… is that so earth-shattering?”

“A-1 steak sauce RULES, and I’m going to make a true A-1 burger, in which everything (lettuce, bun, mayo, etc.) will have A-1 in it!”

“Roots[sup]TM[/sup]? We are going to take that over… you know why? Because my name is Standley and as an Australian, I’m very offended!”

“Yeah, my name is Billy Bob, and I like being a redneck… there’s nothing like it!”

(oops, thinking too much of certain Richmond Crew[sup]TM[/sup] cliches here… oh well)

F_X

Of course, that should have been “Stanley” in my last post. Maybe all these cliches are getting to me…

F_X

Worst.

Pit Thread.

Ever.

DEREK:

Good afternoon and welcome to, er, racing at Newmarket. They’re about to go into the stalls, er, for the 3:30 so, over to you, Peter.

CLIVE:

Thank you, yes, the seven runners for this first SDMB Band Name & Clichés Handicap over six furlongs are just beginning to load up.
That’s Big, pissed off, wolverines, n’very much on his toes and beautifully turned out, he really looked a picture in the paddock. And just coming into our picture is Hi Opal. Hi Opal is one of the two fillies in the race, she’s, um, very good opening speed and the overnight rain will have helped her. She likes it a bit soft underfoot. That’s Its a Trap, going to the stalls. A steady performer, Its a Trap, but, er, he tends to be a bit one-paced. Just going in is The Terrorists Have Already Won. And, The Terrorists Have Already Won, a big colt, blinkered for the first time. And there’s our favourite Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys. I think he would have preferred slightly firmer going, um, and just going is the outsider of the field, the seven year old Og Smash. Og Smash, by Gotcha Ya out of Fucko Off, erm, he’s been tailed off on his last three outings, a rather disappointing horse this. And one of the last to go is 10,000 Test Posts who’s, um, carrying the top weight. A steady performer but, um, I think the ten pound penalty will be a little too much for her this afternoon. She’s safely in.

Oh dear, Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys! Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys is rearing up! He tends to get excited, a very, very excitable horse, I remember he had to be withdrawn at Lingfield. Yes, they’re going to put the hood on him. They’re very good, the handlers here at Newmarket.

And now, a-, a late show of betting.

DEREK:

Mmm, thank you, Peter. Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys has hardened a half a point to 11/8, Hi Opal is threes, Big, pissed off, wolverines and The Terrorists Have Already Won both 9/2. There’s been some late money for 10,000 Test Posts who’s come in to join Its a Trap on 8/1 and Og Smash is 66/1.

CLIVE:

Er, as expected, Og Smash is the 66/1 complete outsider.
And they’re, they’re, they’re, they’r-, they’re all in.
They’re under starter’s orders and they’re off!
10,000 Test Posts got a flyer and is the first to show.
Og Smash was slowly away.
And as they settle down it’s 10,000 Test Posts from Hi Opal with Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys tucked in behind these two.
Then comes the blinkered The Terrorists Have Already Won being pressed by Big, pissed off, wolverines.
Going steadily behind these five is Its a Trap and trailing the field is Og Smash.
And as they start to climb the hill, it’s Hi Opal who just shows clear of The Terrorists Have Already Won.
Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys is close up third, nothing between these three.
10,000 Test Posts is hanging slightly to the left, tucked in behind is Big, pissed off, wolverines.
Still trailing the field is Og Smash.
There is Big, pissed off, wolverines again making a challenge with Og Smash under pressure, but finding nothing.
And as they race to the line it’s Hi Opal being pressed by Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys, with Big, pissed off, wolverines making rapid progress, trying to squeeze in between The Terrorists Have Already Won and the rail.
Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys and Hi Opal, nothing between these two.
And Its a Trap’s coming with a late run! Its a Trap is coming with a late run!
And 10,000 Test Posts has dropped out of it all together!
And with a hundred yards to go, it’s Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys and Hi Opal, drawing clear.
Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys and Hi Opal, stride for stride, length and line, it must be a photo.
I can’t separate them but I think Big, pissed off, wolverines takes third from Its a Trap, and still to finish is the tiring Og Smash.

Well, one hell of a race.
Jack Dean Tyler & the Tug-Ahoys may just have got up in the last stride but I-, I wouldn’t like to put my money on it.

The only thing out of FlamX’s post I’ve ever SEEN was that Baja Men thing.

Were all of those totally unidentifyable to anyone else (and, therefore, not at all cliched) or is it just me? Or have I been totally whooshed?

Speaking of tired old cliches. Unless this was posted in an intentionally ironic manner. Ripping off the CBG is just sad.

The fact that this thread is 2 pages is quite amusing though.

Oh, and nicely done Kal!

Nah, elf6c; Your praise should go to late Messrs. Cook and Moore for they wrote the original, filthy, version of that routine. I just happened to think that some of the band names would also make good racehorse names too.

Oh lord, I didn’t think you heathens actually existed.

…but it brings me to a good point. If you think cliches are overused on the SDMB, you haven’t been to Fark. Fark comment threads can actually introduce a term, use it amusingly, and then repeat it to the point where you’re already sick of it all in the same thread. Hell I could probably predict the entire poster exchange in the next “New Strongbad Email” thread word-for-word.

pwned !!1!11

An example for the FARK impaired:

No he wants pie!

tee hee hee

:smiley:

Italics mine.