Bands that thought they were great, but weren’t

I don’t think the remaining members of Pink Floyd fared much better after the split either…I did enjoy Roger Waters solo tour much better than Pink Floyd sans Waters tour…Waters’ tour was much more creative than Gilmour, Mason & Wright’s entourage which just seemed to be a rehash…a clue that they are missing Water’s creativity.

Put this into the “Sum of all parts is greater than the individual parts” category…

Sorry, U2 has had a really long and distinguished career, no way do they belong on a list like this. I know Bono’s act puts off some people, but then again, he does a lot of charity work and I can’t see slamming a guy for that.

Metallica, on the other hand, has failed to live up to their own hype for at least a decade. Oasis were always a Beatles ripoff, and never as talented as they thought they were. I don’t know if Creed rate themselves so highly, but they blow.

Milli Vanilli has to be here as well. Their singer once said he was better than Elvis, Mick Jagger and John Lennon. Oops.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Krisfer the Cat *
Seems to me a remember him dying of AIDS.

Nope, Terrence Trent D’arby is still around, in fact he was the lead singer in one of the revivals of INXS. You might be thinking of Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy.

Keith

Ahem- yes I remember the Bay City Rollers, and they were not very good at all. But how about Gary Glitter and the Glitter Band?

:smack:

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Odieman *

Or Jermaine Stewart. He was famous for that song, “We Don’t Have To Take Our Clothes Off”.

Another fan of U2, and also of Styx and most definitely of Yes.

My nomination: The Eagles.

The Knack. Pathetically compared to the Beatles. Even went so far as to rip them off on their first album cover.

Of course, “My Sharona” is a cool song, but the majority of their other music sounds like it was written by horny 16-year-olds.

Also, their “Can’t Put a Price on Love” is such a “Beast of Burden” ripoff that I’m surprised that Mick and Keith didn’t beat the crap out of them.

Well, Oasis said they were the new Beatles, and so did the Knack, and Terence Trent D’Arby famously said his album was better than “Sgt. Pepper’s,” so:

Jones’s 14th Law: Any band or act that favourably compares themselves to The Beatles will be has-beens within two years.

That was the one! I knew there was irony involved there somewhere.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Odieman *

Actually, I saw TTD about a month ago on Orlando Jone’s new talk show. TTD has changed his name to Sananda Maitreya.

The New and Improved Terrance Trent D’arby

And speaking of Phil Lynott (RIP)…he didn’t die of AIDS. He died of mulitple internal failures. "The pathologist’s report indicated that he had developed multiple internal abcesses and blood poisoning, as a result of which he had suffered kidney, liver, and heart failure.
[quotes the pathologist]
“Phil didn’t die of a heart attack; he died of a life style.”

Phil Lynott Biography

Seems many posts are more about who is liked or disliked for their music than about what bands thought they were great but weren’t.

I agree with most of the offerings thus far though. But then, I tend to dislike most artists after I get to know them beyond their music. I try to avoid reading or listening to interviews or gossip because it always ends up ruining my enjoyment of their work.

That said, I nominate The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones. Isn’t it about time for a “Where Are They Now?” about those pompous jerks?