[QUOTE=Fiveyearlurker]
I agree with this to a point. Speaking as an outside observer, and non-Christian, I have no problem looking at Christianity and saying that it is, at it’s heart, a religion of peace. That’s not to say that the extremists like Falwell don’t give it a bad name. But there are a few violent followers, in an overall pretty good bunch.
However, during the crusades, there is no doubt that Christianity ceased being a religion of peace and became a religion of violence.
I don’t take the term “religion of peace” to mean that the religion was founded on such a platform, but to mean that it’s members are currently adhering to that platform. At some point, enough followers of a religion take it to a violent level that the religion ceases being a religion of peace for now. Waving away those “few” violent followers and saying that they are not really Muslims seems like a semantic argument rather than a useful one; they still think they are Muslim, and that what they are doing is for the betterment of their religion. Just like the Christians during the crusades.
Your opinion may vary, but Islam has hit a tipping point in my mind. Even if Islam is not founded on a basis of violence, if it is being used that way by enough people then it has ceased to be a religion of peace. Enough Muslims (in my opinion) are using their religion to justify violence that even if the Koran does not support their belief, Islam has become a religion of violence. Hopefully, like Christianity, it finds it’s way back.
[/QUOTE]
Hi, Fiveyearlurker.
(Please forgive me if you’ve answered any of my questions in response to another poster while I was composing this.)
If I’m understanding what you say correctly, then I agree with you, but only to a point. My question for you, though, is this: How, exactly, would you define “enough” for purposes of your equation? I mean, there are, according to numbers that I’ve been able to dig up, between 1.2 and 1.79 billion Muslims in the world, so what, for you, would qualify as “enough”? Also, what has occurred that you have now discerned that Isam has reached a tipping point?
I don’t ask because I want to cavil with you (and certainly not because I want to be thought an idiot), but because I’m really curious. In the dark nights of my soul, I struggle (like you do, if I’m reading you correctly) with separating extremists from ordinary, live-and-let-live (well, *almost * live-and-let-live, anyway) adherents to Islam–I do this, too, with regard to Christianity, especially in light of the vomit-inducing anti-gay zealots worldwide and, particularly, in the U.S., and also with my beloved Judaism, especially with regard to the conflict with the Palestinians, which makes me more or less equal opporunity here–so I think I kind of understand what you mean when you refer to a tipping point. Still, however, I’d rather hear what you think.
The really good news is that, like you, I’m not prepared to call for the destruction of any of the world’s religions (we’re too far into the game, I think, though I tend to believe that we’d have been better off without them). And, certainly, I’d *never * be prepared to support the extermination of any segment of the world’s population (though, Og help me, there are some who tempt…).
And, as kind of an aside, I’d have a hell of a time subscribing to the notion that Christianity* (or Judaism or Islam, for that matter) is *inherently * a religion of peace. I mean, honestly, if the only Judaism available to me were the *uninterpreted *, *pre-modern * Judaism of the Torah, I’d have to excommunicate myself with the quickness. Thank goodness, then, that people do evolve–eventually.
*And yes, I understand that there are certain nuances here. As there are with, well, many things.