Bell ringing MMP

YMMV but for me it was the turn of the century. :wink:

I’ve been in several bell choirs at churches I’ve attended. As one of the few members of those choirs who (a) was under the age of 50, and (b) was bigger than 5’2", I usually wound up playing the big bells.

During the ‘90s, i spent my summer weekends working at the local Renaissance Faire, at my friends’ blacksmith shop. We sold a lot of triangles (a.k.a. dinner bells), and we always had a very large triangle (at least 2 feet on a side) hanging in front of the shop – I ran that big “bell” a lot.

I hereby declare da cave to be sanitary. Also, I reupped my Dope membership for two years. You may all rest assured my witty, erudite, and pointless postin’ will continue.

We have one of those doorbells too. :smiley: The grandkids love it.

That ointment I mentioned earlier is working pretty well for my eczema, but I’m curious to know what your meds are. If you don’t mind, of course. Though I don’t think I need any *more * insomnia.

Not.

You’re only a few days ahead of me. And here I was thinking I was the oldest person in here. Though I’m not so sure about that Ruble guy.

Happy Birthday!

Did you get all the blood off the floor, or will you have to tear the shop down and start over?

We had a loverly Mommy’s day yesterday. I poop scooped the back yard and mowed while Wifey and TheGirlChild[sup]TM[/sup] went kayaking. Then we cooked a rack of pork ribs and a cut up chickie on our new barbie and GirlChild and her hubby helped us eat them. Along with home made potato salad (Yum!), corn onna cob, and watermelon. :smiley:
Life is good.

Happy Birthday Cookie!!

Have consumed my usual Moanday JJ’s sammich and done a little shopping for veggies, so chillin’ until soccer practice this afternoon.

FCM, growing old is mandatory; it’s growing up that’s optional…and hope your pinkie is ok.

Sari, hope the runaround stops running around; sounds like you’re getting to the ‘don’t make me come over there’ level of P/O/'ed.

ruble said:

They want to start the boats, not sink them…

Nappage seems to be a good idea…and I’m not one to let a good idea pass me by. See all y’all later.

well yesterday went well we had mango and pineapple ham… but I and my procrastinating got in the way… I should of done the dishes and I meant to but just didn’t happen so aunt was irritated about that tis a fault of mine I see something I know I should do and I plan on it and just don’t do it …

lol, slippery sometimes I need a nap 10 minutes after i wake up … but naps here are verboten…one must be productive to exist …

We’ve quit playing electrician for today. **FCD **installed 4 fuse boxes (one per machine) and I wired 3 of them. He also ran conduit and installed 7 outlet boxes and I wired 6 of them. We both ran out of steam… and I’ve still got to build the meatloaf for supper. I’s tahred!

Happy Cookie day!

Short course of oral steroids, ointment wasn’t achieving anything any more. Not the first time it’s got that bad (actually, I have had it worse) but it’s never fun. It’s weird though, it suddenly got like that after 2 years of it being almost totally fine, which is pretty much a record.

The rest of the day’s activities turned into a nap, followed by dinner and children’s cartoons as that’s all I had the brainpower for, and now I think I’m heading back to bed. It’s like someone’s taken the batteries out.

Went for a mile hike (with a steep incline at the end) in a local park, then went for brunch. I opted for the huevos rancheros with smokey brisket instead of the waffles and chicken. Wifey had shrempfs & grits. Now it’s coma time.

sticky, most of the houses in my neighborhood growing up had those doorbells. Ours was replaced with a wired one when I was still pretty young.

Happy birthday Cookie!

To answer the OP, I grew up with the doorbells mentioned above, there was a dinner bell at Grosie’s house and another at my Uncle Roy’s and most of the nuns who taught me had some kind of bell on their desk.

As far as being recognized, I actually got some Ace points today from one of the senior accountants in recognization of my getting the invoicing done for the regular people while they were out. There have been other recognizations, but that was teh most recent.

Today was rough. Not only was I covering for two people, but the two areas that were counted this week both had a bad month and instead of maybe a dozen or so counts on my desk, I got 90. :eek: Fortunately, one of the guys I’m covering is back tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Home from a nice dinner and a little bit too long of a meetin’. Some folks are in need of medication for diarrhea of the mouth. :dubious:

swampy, I must needs fear that there is no cure except for ripping their vocal cords out for that disease…

Soccer practice went well, have ‘scrimmage’ games 2sDay and Hump Day and hope to have one Thorsday. Like Mickey’s take care of dinner (not so much the sammiches as the fries) and internettin’ is well under way.

Worked, came home. Made Honey Teriyaki Chicken with Five Spice rice and green beans witnh black bean garlic sauce. Watching Blues/Sharks hockey.

If you go all the way to Ireland and you don’t visit a pub…

Happy Birthdya Cookies!!!

I doubt she had a big enough night to move Edinburgh to Ireland, I feel sure I would have heard about it :stuck_out_tongue:

Plan for the day is checking on the bees, planting some things in the allotment, and a chunk of revising plant diseases. Lets see how much of that happens.

For The Littlest Nephew, one of the highlights of visiting my mother is watching the bells being rung in the church across the alley. A few times when he’s been sick he’s been given a bell he could ring if he needed something: as his father says “so long as it only rings occasionally we know he’s still in bad shape, poor kitten; when the frequency picks up, he’s getting better.”

Abuelita had a hotel-style bell that she’d give to sick people for the same use, I got to use it a lot when I was bedridden in her home for a couple of weeks after my tonsillectomy. Some of my noisiest and wiggliest cousins would occasionally be granted the boon of ringing the hotel bell if they managed to be reasonably quiet and still during all of lunch; one of them failed pretty much every time, but for several others it worked well.

1.Bro’s family owns a house in a very small village, a family inheritance. Last summer at the feast of Corpus Christi the gent who opens the church and rings the bells before Mass was off sick, so several women dared to open the church themselves and ring the bells. The “ringing” is actually the playing of one of several recordings from big buttons on a panel. Big unlabeled buttons on a panel, oops: the first button turned out to be the funeral call, which is definitely inappropriate for a Corpus Christi High Mass. The buttons are now labelled.

I did something like that. Well actually I had the OW do it so I’m not sure if its the membership or title or what. But whatever it is its done for 2 years.

Hey – I can always use a blank. I don’t have to since everything I have is capable of live rounds. But I could.

Which reminds me – there is a slight chance of a 12 pound Napoleon (since we mentioned him this week) in my future. Its dumb because it needs a trailer to move, a team of horses if I really wanted to field it properly, and I have no earthly desire to have said team and spend all the money needed. But --------- I could totally destroy a fort over a half-mile away. You never know when something like that could come in handy.

Last night was one of those wake-every-hour nights. I feel like Death on a Stale Cracker this morning. **FCD **got pulled for jury duty so he’s not going to be able to work in his shop like he wanted. I just hope he doesn’t get put on a lengthy trial - we’ve got a major move planned for Saturday…

Baby Engineer is in Norfolk, VA, today, so the office is all mine!!! :smiley: Other than that, nothing exciting so far, but it is barely 6:30 in the AM, so lots can happen. Oh, yeah, and it was 49-freekin’-degrees in my yard this morning! :mad:

Happy Tuesday!

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN 'Tis 56 Amurrkin out and clear (I can see clearly now it’s daylight) with a predicted high of 81 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. It’s laundry day. Rah. I have no plans to leave da cave today. We shall see how that works out. Sup shall be my world famous Eyetalian chikin and what ever side vegetative matter I decide upon.

It would come in handy to keep whippersnappers off’n your lawn.

Now I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy demands sustenance. Then, onward into the day.

Happy Tuesday Y’all!

Happy Toosday!

Another chilly, cloudy day, 48 degrees now, supposed to get up to 59.

I had a horrible night’s sleep, too tired to be grumpy.
Today will be round 2 with mdcaps.
I shall do my best to refrain from cussing at them.

My son got 100% on his final last night. One more final, Accounting, and he is done. He should have all A’s this semester.
First thing on the list is to get the dehumidifier downstairs, plugged in, and run the drain hose outside somehow. He wants to level the patio, a low priority for me, but if he wants to take out the bricks and reset them, I’m not going to stop him. I need to get some sand for him, but with all this rain it can wait. The neighbor said he’d come over and help him if he needs it.
I told the neighbor my son is very shy, so just go ahead and talk to him and eventually my son will talk back.

The basement is leaking at the front corner of the house, so that has been added to the top of the BIG TO DO LIST.

I have lots of stuff coming up in the wild flower patches, I have no idea what everything is but I guess I will find out.

Blurf. It’s car servicing day for me. Hubby swears there is a funny noise in the front end so I shall ask the technician to drive it and take a look. Surely they are likely to find something so hubs gave me a credit card to pay for it. I shall wait for it unless it becomes complicated then I’ll call my clerk to pick me up. I had to wait a month for this appointment.

After that it is back to irk, oh joy! Last day for a solid week. I didn’t plan too good cause the maid comes on Wednesday but I shan’t get in her way.

Have a great day all!