If he’s so smart, why did he paint his DeLorean red? Wouldn’t that reduce the value?
Anybody ever heard of a DeLorean being painted? Maybe the type of car was wrong – in which case, what other car could we be talking about? A Ferrari? This guy had Ferrari-level money?
On preview, this is a lot of questions for one OP, but I’m confused.
Ferrari’s are not that expensive. Decent Ferrari’s in good shape can be had for around $40,000. Sure they are about 15 20 years old. Well with in the means of a middle class professional.
It’s my understanding that DeLoreans are often painted - or coloured somehow ( I seem to recall hearing that powdercoating works)
They were made of stainless steel and while cool, it unfortunately makes any damage at all virtually non-repairable… Anything that’s not superficial or can’t be polished out requires the replacement of the whole panel - finding parts for DeLoreans isn’t easy either. If something is welded on, if there’s a dent that can’t be popped out, the evidence is there forever. Painting is really the only option to cover something up, unless you want to spend prodigious amounts of money fixing it.
[QUOTE=gazpacho]
Ferrari’s are not that expensive. Decent Ferrari’s in good shape can be had for around $40,000. Sure they are about 15 20 years old. Well with in the means of a middle class professional.
[/QUOTE]
And the money you save by buying an older one lets you some other things that make your life easier…like spare apostrophes.
[QUOTE=scr4]
Stainless steel doesn’t need to be painted, but that doesn’t mean you can’t paint it. It’s just a type of steel - you can paint it any color you like.
[/QUOTE]
Well…yes and no. I seem to remember hearing that stainless steel is harder to paint because the paint doesn’t like to stick to it as much as other kinds of steel. I could be wrong though.
[QUOTE=Danalan]
If he’s so smart, why did he paint his DeLorean red? Wouldn’t that reduce the value?
[/QUOTE]
I’ve seen several painted De Loreans, but not for about 15 years. The real question is, if he’s so smart why did he have a a De Lorean? (Listed under ‘financial failures’.) I had a dentist in the '80s who said he owned one. I asked him how he liked it. He made a sucking sound. He said it was the worst car he’d ever owned.
Why paint a DeLorean red? – Because they don’t make Bondo in a color that matches stainless steel and you’ll be waiting a long time for a replacement body part from the manufacturer.