Best current stand-up comedian?

Patton Oswalt. I’ve absolutely cried laughing at his two CD’s. Feelin’ Kinda Patton is the stronger of the two, but Werewolves and Lollipops is close. I consider myself a bit of a standup aficionado, and frankly, Patton’s the strongest comedian out there right now.

The thing that really kills me about Patton is that he can do live, unprepared, off-the-cuff material that’s as funny as or even more funny than the stuff that he’s written and prepared. Check out the “ether frolic” part on Feelin’ and the part where he destroys a douchebag heckler on Werewolves.

Video link.

http://www .youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

Broken for NSFW language.

“fill your hoo-hah with goof juice” :smiley:

Kills me every time.

I love this board.

Thanks for the info, dnooman and Doctor Who

Done. :smiley:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IbALbZ9bHFU (not remotely SFW: profanity)

There was a great stand-up comedian named Henry Cho, I think, though I haven’t seen him in years. He was an Asian from the “deep” south and he was hilarious! His bit about “was it a date, or was it a date date?” kills me.

Dylan Moran is a current favourite, succeded by Eddie Izzard’s Glorious and Sexie material.

I’m desperately trying to remember a quite young and slightly nervous stand-up comedian who had a small routine on drinking alcohol. I saw it on Youtube at my sister’s cabin a month ago, and I can’t remember the search words or the name of the guy. He’s not a big name, though.

It starts with him having an alcohol party, in his stomach. He personifies himself as the bouncer, and starts letting all the beers in. Corona, Budweiser, Tuborg, how’re you . . . And then the (in a Scottish voice) Scotches and whiskys starts pouring in . . . And the fizzy drinks . . . and the Scottish Scotches starts picking fights with the fizzy drinks . . . and at the end of the routine, the Tequilas line up outside and sneak inside in a queue, with a paralell to Mexican border-jumpers . . .

It wasn’t brilliant or hysterical, but I thought it was quite funny and I’ve been looking real hard for the clip. Anyone know?

Mike Birbiglia

He’s decent, but not awesome, to me. I have one of his acts in MP3, and he manages to keep me chuckling throughout the act, but only at one point does he rate more.

My vote goes to Christopher Titus. Excellent material, excellent delivery. “I’m Whitey, and I apologize.” I can watch/listen to him repeatedly and still laugh my ass off.

Jim Brewer. YouTube isn’t helping me find the clip though…stupid tube.

THANKS!

It’s Jim Breuer, not Brewer, which is why you couldn’t find it. Here is the clip in question, if anyone’s interested. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7g0AJPqKybs

31 posts and no Chris Rock?

Nope.

I love Lewis Black, though. I used to love Dennis Miller, but not for the last 5 years or so… :frowning:

Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn’t heard of him - his stuff on YouTube is hilarious.

I’ll add Gary Gulman to the discussion.

Gulman is pretty funny, but he got booed off the stage during Dane Cook’s Tourgasm.

I saw Gulman open for Mitch Hedberg about 4 yrs ago at the Brea Improv. He was MUCH funnier than Hedberg.

:smack: I can’t believe I left out Todd Barry!

Do you mean the Dylan Moran who wrote and starred in Black Books? I had no idea! I will check YouTube as soon as my kids are asleep!

Black Books season one was hysterical, especially the season finale “wicker toilet!”

Two COOKIES!!! I eat Fig Newtons by the sleeve.

I vote for him with Dave Atell a close second.

I’m digging Paul F. Tompkins’ new CD.