Best current stand-up comedian?

Try Jim Breuer.

God damn Dane Cook isn’t funny. Maybe he opened up a new can of funny, or actually got some jokes that didn’t belong to someone else first. Results.

To his credit, he did very well when he hosted Saturday Night Live. He’s got goot comedic timing, and if he were part of that crew, it’d benefit from him.

Robert Schimmel should also be on there.

I tried to narrow the list down to just three comics I couldn’t live without, and just couldn’t do it.

Paring the list down, I still can’t remove Jim Gaffigan, David Cross, Nick Swardson, Patton Oswald, or Zack Galafianakis. If I had to list them in relative order of importance, I’d go with David Cross, Patton Oswald, Nick Swardson, Zack Galifianakis, and Jim Gaffigan.

I find David Cross and Sack Galifianakis to be highly underrated. From what I gather, they’re a lot like Eddie Izzard, where if you take their career from one or two performances, they’re can’t-miss. If you look at the rest of the career, it looks a little less than perfect. They’re also both prolific writers as well, so that can/should be taken into account.

Freudian slip? :smiley:

Heh…bad typo…that should be “Zack”. Not “Sack”.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Mr. Show. It’s a sketch comedy show that used to air on HBO. It is truly legendary in it’s quality of humor IMO.

Of the above listed comedians and some that aren’t, here is an incomplete listing of the A-list comedians that appeared on the show:

David Cross, Bob Odenkirk, Brian Posehn, Paul F. Tomkins, Sarah Silverman, Jack Black, Tom Kenney, Patton Oswald, Jerry Minor, Mary Lynn Rajskub, and several more people that most might not have heard of.
You can get a little more info at http://www.bobanddavid.com/ and at Mr. Show with Bob and David - Wikipedia

I think this was one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.

I’m gonna put in a couple votes for Jim Gaffigan and Dave Attell. I haven’t seen Attell at all since Comedy Central stopped showing Insomniac (loved that show), but he always cracked me up. And I love it when Gaffigan does that little inner-monologue-of-some-anonymous-audience-member thing.

The thing about Dave Atell, is that his exposure hasn’t been great. Insomniac was a great show in and of itself, but the best parts of the show were the one or two minutes that they showed him doing stand up in that town. True, those were cherry-picked moments, but you can still tell that he killed live.

IMO, Dave Atell should ditch his current agent, and get with one that manages Ed Norton, Nick Dipaolo, Jeff Ross, Greg Giraldo, Patton Oswald or someone similar. He has the chops to be a serious Roast guest, but just hasn’t gotten the right opportunities. I feel the same about Bill Burr, that guy is dangerous, and scathing. He tore Philly a new one at a show one time, and it almost went global. I’d be surprised if they even let him enter Pennsylvania again.

I’m not sure if the people that own “Hot Pockets” should sue or fund Jim Gaffigan. That guy rules.

Before he became a shill for the RNC, I thought Dennis Miller did the funniest stand up I had ever seen. Now. not so much.

My current favorite is Ron White.

Another vote for Brian Regan, goddam funniest guy evar!

No votes for Mary Lynn Rajskub? Or is she simply the cutest one?

Oh hell yes! We saw him in Vegas after his cancer, and he was absolutely hilarious. I could barely breath. It was also right after Roy Horn was almost killed by one of his tigers, and Schimmel opened with about 10 minutes on it and them. It was some of the best comedy I have ever heard. Seeing him live is the best.

I remember seeing him years ago on a Rodney Dangerfield special called “Nothing Goes Right” along with Carol Liefer, Dom Irerra, Lenny Clark, Bill Hicks, Barry Sobel and Andrew Dice Clay. Rodney had a VERY good eye for talent (though Sobel never hit big, he was funny as hell, and while Clay may not be to everyone’s taste, he did hit big).

I agree with Jim Gaffigan, Eddie Izzard (any dude who can walk in heels gains my respect) and Dave Attel.

I stumbled upon someone hilarious on Showtime: Doug Stanhope. I love this particular clip.

I guess this shows my age, but I still love Chris Rock.

One I haven’t seen listed here is the British comedian Jimmy Carr. I saw him on Comedy Central and he was just hilarious. He did a great routine about a couple who got arrested for performing fellatio on an airplane. He imagined that the woman was having trouble with her ears popping and asked the man if he had any hard candy. “No, I don’t have any, but I have an idea…”

Also, yet another vote for Jim Gaffigan, especially if you’ve ever eaten a Hot Pocket. My husband eats them for lunch every day, and I often ask him if he’s going for frozen in the middle or boiling hot lava.

My favourite is Tommy Tiernan, have no idea if hes well known in the US though.

The very same! You should check out his “Monster” show, it’s in 1/x fragments (10 mins each) on YouTube. I find it hilarious, but most of my friends are meh :wink:

I will! I now find his brief cameo as a book thief in Notting Hill hysterical, though I had no idea what I was missing before Black Books.

Watched it last night- outstanding!