Best current stand-up comedian?

It’s been way too long since I’ve actually laughed at stand-up. The last two I recall are George Carlin (15 year old recording) and Aries Spears (live, 7 years ago). I also think Dave Chapelle is quite funny, but mostly in his skits, not so much his stand-up. Who are the gems of the field these days?

Bill Burr, Jim Gaffigan, David Cross, Nick Swardson, Patton Oswald, Brian Posehn, Zack Galafianakis, Bob Odenkirk, Paul F. Tomkins, Greg Giraldo, Jeffrey Ross, Louis C.K., Katt Williams, Rich Voss, Ed Norton, Nick DiPaolo, Kevin James, David Cross again, and Karl Rove.

Although they are no longer alive, I feel the need to include Bill Hicks and Mitch Hedburg. The world, especially the comedy world, truly misses them.

Thanks for the list. Would you mind picking out one or two as your choice for the pinnacle of comedic excellence?

Even though he’s getting on a bit and maybe past his prime I’d vote Billy Connolly.

That’s really tough. Maybe if you gave me two comedians you really like, I can give you another two or three that might match well with them.

People that recognize most of the guys I mentioned will see a definite vein of sarcastic comedy going there.

His “itchy ass” bit cracked me up when I was younger. I was pleased to see him back in movies when I saw Boondock Saints (one of the better movies of late to slip under the radar of the public).

The one I hear about most these days is Eddie Izzard.

Good list, add Dane Cook. I have a question about Patton Oswald. Is he really funny? I’ve tried watching him a few times and ended up changing it.

Eddie Izzard is very good, but he isn’t for everybody. I really like Dane Cook. He improved a lot between his first and second records. Dave Attell is hysterical and he’s got a great stage persona.

I miss Hedberg and Hicks too. Two of my all-time favorites.

Pun intended? :smiley:

What, no chicks??? Okay, I can’t think of too many lighting the comedy world on fire right now but have recently seen Megan Mooney and laughed a lot. I like Elvira Kurt, too but haven’t heard anything new from her in a while.

Patton Oswalt and Dane Cook are in the same category for me of being too coarse for every day, but once in a while when I’m in the right mood I do laugh at both of them. I was anti-Cook for a while because he came across like a real selfish jerk in what I saw of Tourgasm.

I’m an Eddie Izzard fan, though don’t care much for the Riches and haven’t heard any new stand up since his Sexie tour 2 or 3 years ago. I can watch Dressed To Kill twice in one day and laugh (and laugh hard) both times.

Demetri Martin has a unique style (with visual aids!) that I have been enjoying lately.

I heard some new Christopher Titus material recently that was pretty funny, too.

Dave Atell and Lewis Black.

Dave Atell would definitely have been on my list had I remembered him.

I haven’t heard any current Jerry Seinfeld stuff, but I really like him.

Others already mentioned that I like:

Lewis Black
Patton Oswalt
David Cross

Personally I can only stand about 5 minutes of Dane Cook, Mitch Hedberg, and Brian Posehn.

The late Bill Hicks and Mitch Hedberg are two of my three favorite stand-ups of all time.

Stephen Wright is the other, and he is thankfully still alive, and as monotone as ever.

I also like Demitri Martin, Patton Oswalt, Bob Saget, and David Cross. But Dane Cook is more obnoxious than funny, like the idiot frat boy who thinks he’s hilarious and tries to be the center of attention at every party.

Brian Regan, Lewis Black and Ron White (solo, not with the Blue Collar doofi!)

I remember seeing one particular comedian whom I thought was absolutely brilliant. I never caught his name and I never saw him again.

I remember his routine consisted of a sequence where he was saying, “All marketers must die. You’re thinking, ‘Oh, he’s just saying that.’ But no, I really mean it. They must die. All of them. Right now. We must kill them all right now. I really, really mean it. And again you are thinking, ‘Ok, that’s his routine, he’s a comedian.’ However, I really mean it. They all must die immediately.”

He went on like that for, like, 10 minutes. It was awesome.

Who was he? Ring any bells?

I like many of the people already named, especially Mitch Hedberg and Jim Gaffigan.

No one has named Dave Chappelle. I like Dave Chappelle’s standup.

-FrL-

Bill Hicks.

Sounds like Hicks to me. Compare your memory to this.

ETA: BAH! Scooped! That’s what I get for doing some research and putting in a link! :wink: