Best First Song Ever (Wedding Reception)

My wife picked the song without telling me what it was. “Good Girls Don’t” by The Knack. I though “Hey, this marriage thing is going to be good”.

We didn’t have a traditional reception with contemporary music*, but during our ceremony, the pavillion a quarter mile away started their sound check by playing Santana’s (featuring Rob Thomas) “Smooth”, loud enough to sound like it belonged to us, which actually worked well. It made everyone laugh during a moment that was turning from romantic to schmaltzy, and we danced a few steps before grinning and moving on with the ceremony.

*there was a drum jam, but saying our first dance was Bum whappa whappa whapitty bum doesn’t make much sense

We’re going to use “If I had a million dollars” by the Barenaked Ladies, but I don’t thnk that’s especially interesting or anything.

Come Away With Me is what Himself & I used back in September; our real song, Bring Me to Life by Evanecence is a little hard to dance to, and some of the family wouldn’t get it. :wink:

For the benefit of anyone looking for that song, it’s actually Barbie Girl, by Aqua.

My pick would be I Went to Your Wedding by Spike Jones even if there’s really no possibility of dancing to it. “At last we got rid of yooouuu!”

We both love Come Away With Me, now if there was only a chance that we would be able to go away anytime soon!

Everytime we write a check out for the wedding I remind Sweetie that I wanted to get married in Vegas, and was willing to deal on the Elvis thing.

“California Stars” by Billy Bragg and Wilco, lyrics by Woody Guthrie. Best I ever heard because it was ours. :slight_smile:

You know, in reading all of these I forgot to add my own… I got married at home plate on a softball field, so ours was “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.”

I’ve always been partial to the song “Frog Kissing” & maybe someday I’ll get to use it.

Fantastic choice. I might steal it for mine. We’ve been tossing around using Ring of Fire but it may not make the cut.

We have a band and they said they’d be willing to learn a couple songs if we send them a CD.

Great choice. I love that song. Too bad Woody never recorded it or the Mrs. and I could have used it!!

We used “Be My Life’s Companion” by the Mills Brothers.

A friend’s first song was Lyle Lovett’s “I Love Everybody (Especially You),” which I thought was great.

Ours was Glenn Miller’s “Moonlight Serenade.”

Hm. Well, we never really had a reception, so we didn’t have a “first dance” song, but the exit song from the wedding ceremony was Harry Connick Jr.'s, “It Had To Be You.”

Although at the restaurant, there was an accordion player who did a version of the “Anniversary Song” for us. Lyrics:

“Oh how we danced on the night we were wed
We danced through the night for there wasn’t any bed
I needed a wife like a hole in the head.”