best gun for home/office defense

I wouldn’t want to face a jury with the prosecutor asking questions like “So you only intended to maim the intruder?” That is just asking for trouble. The only reason for firing a gun in self-defense is imminent danger of loss of life or limb of self and/or others. If there is such danger, then your intent is to kill, not to wound. Rock-salt and the like will just get you sent up the river with the intruder.

DrDeth, I didn’t mean to disparage the use of frangible bullets. Hell, my .44 Special is loaded with Glaser Safety-Slugs as we speak. I meant that any “special-load” handload will just get you into trouble. I love my 20 gauge Coach gun, but the sound of a 12 gauge being racked would make Satan wet himself.

Moved to IMHO.

samclem GQ moderator

Not picking on you specifically Selenius but I have always had a teeny problem with the…“the sound of that slide” crowd. If you confront someone then rack the slide to chamber a round…

Granted I was drilled in this but someone with a handgun can put a shot if not two into a target in less than a second and probably have a 3rd shot off by the end of second #2.

If placed in the position of defending yourself from a potentially lethal threat, you don’t play nice, you don’t go for sound effects or dramatic pauses, you point and shoot, and keep shooting until the problem goes away or the problem puts you away. Its your life, or theirs not some kind of ritualized honor duel.

Drach

When you just can’t find the perfect greeting card for midnight intruders, think hydra-shok. :smiley:

Who ever said I was “confronting” the intruder? I have sent punks scurrying away from the house by racking the slide while sitting in my bed!

Rest assured, I wouldn’t set foot outside the room without being Condition One. But getting to Condition One solves the problem 90% of the time. I’ve been trained, too. :smiley:

Bingo.

I also have a problem with the “pump action noise will scare them away crowd”. If you feel that you need to use a weapon to defend yourself, it should be chambered and ready to fire.

When you are ready to shoot, the gun is ready. And you are ready to shoot it.

That’s one of the rules of gun safety.

Being from Chicago, I would prefer one of these:

http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/submachg/armsmg1.htm#173

But seriously, I looked a couple nice 32 caliber pistols. They’re light, easy to handle, they pack a decent load, and they don’t jump out of your hand when you fire.

Don’t know this got on to Chicago, but the decision is much simpler as pistols are illegal.

And I have sent bears scurrying away with a shot into a tree stump. You confronted the punks by racking an EMPTY shotgun.?

I don’t believe that you should pick up a weapon, in defense, unless it is ready to go.

How about yelling at them. “I’m calling the cops!”

Silenus - You live in Southern California. I live in the Colorado mountains. Big difference. When I pick up a gun for defense, it will be loaded.

I live in a remote area.

If someone broke into my house I would first look for exits. In winter, it may be hard to do. Doggy door, whatever.

Our bedroom is on the second floor. If someone was in the house, I would yell at them to leave, and tell them that I was armed. And I would prove that if I had to by shooting off a round down the stairs.

The click/clack shurump of a pump action shotgun looks good in the movies, but in a high stress situation like that it is not going to do you any good. May as well let a round fly and scare the shit out of any one in your house.

I guess scaring ‘punks’ out of your yard is a different scenario

I have to agree with DrDeth. My home defense gun is an old double-barrel Stevens “coach gun” I paid $20 for back in the late '70’s. I take it out to the range a few times a year to stay accustomed to the kick.

Thank you for your contribution. In the future I would ask that that you never contribute again.

BTW, my weapon of choice is a Glock Model 27 (.40 S&W) loaded with 165-grain Hydra-Shoks. Through determined practice I am just as good with either hand as I am with both.

Shotgun. Someone mentioned a Remington 870 Wingmaster, which is excellent. Small shot, number 8 or number 7. For all the reasons you first mentioned. Big noise, no worry about penetrating walls, very intimidating. That barrel gets a lot bigger when it points at you. Sometimes, just the sound of the slide going KerChunk is enough.

I’m not a gun user I’m afraid, though I am interested in them. Recently I was doing some looking around the web at weapons, and ammunition - and came across these MagSafe loaded rounds, and wondered how those on the board view them.

The idea seems decent to me for apartment living, especially being able to mix shotgun performance (low penetration through walls) with high damage to a body, with an less clumsy barrel length because of being loaded for pistols, not a shotgun. Just wondering whether any Dopers have exeperience or knowledge of how practical such loads might be.

Related question:

What do police use to avoid bullets going through apartment walls (hand gun or not)? Do they have this concern?

I’ve said that many times, here and on other boards. My Dad taught me to shoot, and he was a cop. He said that was the essence of gun handling, and it was far easier to remember than the NRA’s 10 handling commandments.

Hey, pal, only what ya see.

I’m definitely in the pistol camp, but not by much. A pistol is easier to handle and maneuver in a tight spot like a hallway.

A shotgun can project a lot of lead, and is a hell of a lot more intimidating. One downside of a shotgun is that most defensive encounters happen within 20 feet, and 5-10’ is very typical. Even with a blunderbus, you will not get any spread, and you can easily miss.

If you’re worried about wall penetration, you can get frangible bullets that shatter on a hard surface.

Personally, I have several firearms to select from, but I have a S&W 686 .357 Magnum with 158 grain JHPs at the ready. Also, a Winchester 12 Ga. pump with 00 buck alternating with Federal Hydra-Shok saboted deer slugs as choice #2.

Personally, when I’m target shooting at 25 yards or more I am a left eye dominant shooter. This initially was giving me fits to overcome when practicing defensive shooting. While I’ve stated my preference for shotguns in defensive matters, which eliminates most need for aim discipline, this is not to say that I couldn’t make do with a pistol or rifle.
I believe that one who chooses a pistol for their defensive choice should practice “point shooting” or “snap shooting” where both eyes are left open to acquire the front sight only. While this technique is not going to win you a gold cup in a International Defensive Pistol Association match, with lots of practice you can become reasonably accurate and it can save valuable time in real life lethal force situations.

I was so hoping I could say this!

To go with another movie reference, a double-barrelled blast of rock-salt in Beatrix Kiddo’s chest sure slowed her down.

Hello.

Stupid foreigner calling in. Though nowadays we prefer the less offensive term “geographically challenged Foreign-American”, of course.

You might add the word “gun-shy” to that.

OK, anyway, here’s my question.

Why, for the love of God, would you want a lethal firearm in your office?

To negotiate a pay raise?

Or do armed gangs mount raids on American offices, making off with staplers and bottles of Liquid Paper?

Don’t you have security guards in your country?

If you were the boss (and maybe you are), would you want your employees packing heat in the breakroom? I for one see great risks, and small benefits, from such a policy. Would bandoliers and Western-type holsters be okay for Casual Friday?