Best prank you pulled at high school

This is pretty tame, but my friends and I used to leave ransom notes around our OSSM Calc/Physics classroom for what we thought of as the peppermints that were owed us. (There was a candy dish at the front of the room that we always refilled, but was mysteriously depleted when we came back in the mornings.)

We taped pieces of paper over the clock, on the windows, on doors, desks, chairs, lab tables, and the floor saying things like “Bring us more mints…or else!” We even wrote one in dry-erase marker on the mirror in the bathroom.

Other times, we unscrewed the back supports of certain students’ chairs, and rigged a table to collapse. It just so happened that someone in the afternoon class tossed their backpack and two 44-oz. Pepsis on the table before its death. They waded through a sticky, sugary flood of Biblical proportions for three hours.

Our Physics teacher was shot in the crotch with a 1/4" ball bearing launcher.

We put a note from an imaginary ‘Angie’ in the pocket of our married Calc teacher’s jacket. It said something like “Hey, Sweetie! We had a great time together. Call me!” and the phone number of a girl at a local University.

There was a “magic cart of Physics,” a.k.a., a box-moving cart, that we used for momentum and inertia ‘experiments.’ Most of the experiments ended with some volunteer skidding across the concrete floor.

We parked cars in the storage space on the way to the classrooms, hit the ‘big red buttom’ that turned out to be an alarm, and left a note on the outside door saying that class had been moved to another building, so nobody showed up.

I miss OSSM!

I took Graphic Arts during my freshman year of HS. This was basically a “throwaway” class where you did pretty much nothing, and the teacher was a really clueless older guy. People used to play pranks on him all the time. One of the meanest ones, which I did not participate in, took place on a day when he was absent and we had a sub. Now, this class theoretically involved book binding and stuff, in addition to computer graphics, so it was taught in a room with lots of tools and supplies. The aforementioned sub left immediately after the bell rang, and a few people stayed long enough to take one of those big metal C-clamps, which you tighten down by turning a “knurled” knob, and screw it down onto the back of the teacher’s chair. Then they took a pair of pliers and really torqued it down so you couldn’t remove it by hand. Then they threw away the pliers.

So the next day, the teacher comes in, and he can’t sit in his chair because of this clamp, and he can’t get it off because he doesn’t have any pliers. He had to go borrow a pair of pliers to remove it. It was one of those moments where the guy was genuinely annoyed and you didn’t want to start giggling, but it was tough to hold it back.

By the way, THespos, the overhead projector story had me laughing. I can just picture the whole incident in my mind. Keep up these stories people; I like to relive the zaniness of high school. College, where I am now, is just not as exciting, contrary to popular belief.

-Andrew L

A certain band of miscreants snuck into the school office and altered one of the bulletins that got read over the PA system during homeroom. Oddly, nobody seemed to notice when the Agape Christian Club’s recruitment message ended with the phrase, “Be there or go to hell!”

It was a long, long time ago, in a high school far, far away.

But, I’d have to say that my best prank was convincing the board of education to give me a diploma and let me graduate. I look back at my grades, how little time I spent in class, how MUCH time I spent in the theater, the band room, under the bleachers, up in the projector booth, … um, and in other non-academic pursuits and I wonder how it was that I was 34th in my class of 475.

Beyond that, our best prank was probably the morning we climbed the football stadium light towers and installed bright pink gels in ALL the lights. Did I mention that this was the morning of the homecoming game? It took ten of us four hours to install the gels, starting at 2:30 AM. You guessed it - nobody noticed until they turned the lights on later that afternoon for homecoming and “the big game” - it was great. You may be able to tell that the crown I hung out with was NOT the jocks.

This reminded me of one I witnessed that was really mean and jerky, and that I felt horrible about at the time, but I still can’t manage to hold back a laugh for some reason when I think about.

There was this guy that moved here from California his senior year. He was really nice and outgoing, and got along great with the hippie/alternative crowd. He was generally hated by everyone else though, mostly because he was so damn nice.

So at the end of the year, one of the jerks who always gave him shit asked to sign his year book and, being the nice guy that he was, he handed it over. What happened next could only have been the most improbable coincidence in the history of the universe that Douglas Adams spoke of. As soon as the yearbook was in the jerk’s hands a spider crawled across it. The jerk immediately slammed the book shut, crushing the spider, and then drew a circle around the corpse and wrote “This is you.” This all happened within about 5 seconds as if it was what the jerk originally planned to do.

Again, extremely assholish thing to do, but still makes me laugh to this day just thinking about it.

Does freshman year of college still count? Oh, and I’m only adding this because I never expect to see the victim again, and I believe the statute of limitations applies :slight_smile:

My dorm roomate was not the most pleasent fellow. He showered rarely, and spent most of his time sitting at his computer in his boxer shorts on IRC. And he had back hair that you could braid. None of my friends ever wanted to come by, and they couldn’t call because he was always online. This was '94-5, when internet access was available to students, but only via dialup. He played his music was too loud, kept stealing my sodas, and generally made a nuisance of himself.

The end of the year wss approching, and I decided that I needed some compensation. So one fine Friday afternoon when he was out (I suppose it’s conceivable he was in class), I gathered up all his textbooks, and went to the campus bookstore; which had just started it’s end-of-semester textbook buyback. I left with about $100, and my friends and I had a fun night out.

Oh, did I forget to mention this was the week before finals? :smiley:

Off to IMHO.

Cajun Man - SDMB Moderator

My best prank was when I turned one of the school bathrooms into a trap. The doors were the kind that had no knobs, only a metal plate on the outside and a handle on the inside to pull it open. I took my little screwdriver and removed the handle from the inside of the door and, being the industrious little weasle that I am, packed the screw holes with chewing gum to prevent any clever little monkey from getting a grip on the door by sticking a pen into the hole. It was a giant roach motel, they checked in but they didn’t check out…

Well this is almost exactly my story except at my graduation we palmed pennies and pass them to him, eventually he had this mound of pennies at his feet because he just dropped every one of them right down at his feet.

Bravo

The crowning acheivement of my high school years, and indeed, the rest of my life, was liberating the 6 foot tall Ronald Mcdonald statue from his prison in the playland. He was rather difficult to break loose from his supports, so unfortunately, we had to amputate. Seeing a footless, smiling and waving Ronald standing at attention in front of the school in a trash can was amusing to say the least. The janitors got him out of there before too long, though.

The statute of limitations has run out by now, so hopefully I’m safe. I found out later that the estimated value of the Ronald was around 1000 dollars. Would have been considered Grand Theft I believe. We called ourselves “The Hamburglars”. Robble Robble!!!

I did do a little of this sort of thing in college, pennying people into their room* or getting inside and filling it knee deep in old newspapers.

My roommate was once an intended victim of a prank. There was a supply closet on our floor and, one week, the interior doorknob fell off. He went in for some reason and a couple of freshmen shut the door behind him. No interior knob, no way to get out.

My roommate calmly finished what he was doing, took out a key, put in into the doorknob and opened it. The two pranksters stood there staring with their mouths open. You see, in the dorm we have lived in the previous year, doorknobs fell off all the time, and everyone knew how to use a key if they did.

In high school, my best prank was inadvertent. We were on our class trip to Washington, DC and a friend and I got the idea of sending one of our teachers a postcard. So we found something, wrote a note parodying his mannerisms and sent it off.

After we returned, we planned to deny everything. But when the teacher had showed my friend the postcard, he lost it. He went to find me.

“Remember the postcard?” He asked.

“Sure.”

“Remember where we sent it from?”

I thought for a minute. It was when the bus had stopped while we were touring Pennsylvania Dutch country . . .

You guess it. The postmark was “Intercourse, Pennsylvania.”

*Wedging a stack of pennies between the door and frame. If done correctly, the door couldn’t be opened.

God. I really suck. I never did a thing in High School.

I’ve got a better prank

It was during lunch break, me and my friends were bored, and well, we went behind the tennis courts where there is some wasteland, anyway, we started a fire but then it got out of control and someone then threw a Lynx can on top of it.

We ran.

It blew.

We laughed.
And I never got in trouble for it either!

I have a cousin who told me that he and some friends pulled a trick on someone in P. E.–somehow they got Nair into his jock strap. However they did it, the guy wound up going to the showers with no pubic hair! :smiley:

My friend’s mom was the principal’s secretary and she stole some letterhead and envelopes and we sent letters to our friends who had graduated the semester before saying they had to return for summer school because they were missing a unit of PE/Music/whatever. One guy’s mom stormed the school!

My biggest prank was managing to survive high school as an unpopular, unsocial, younger-than-everyone-else, unathletic queer nerd without having the shit beat out of me.

And I love the thought that there are people in some other forum somewhere going, “The worst thing that ever happened to me in high school was that some people x, y, z to me. It made me want to kill myself. How could they have been so cruel?”

I was a loner in high school, so the pranks I pulled were rather small-scale.

When I got bored in the computer lab, I would take a screen shot of the desktop and turn it into the background. Then I would hide the start menu and move it to the top of the screen, where it wouldn’t be so obvious. I loved seeing people’s reactions.

There was one boy in my class who loved to brag about how great he was at Minesweeper. I made sure to edit the win.ini file on each computer he visited so that some name I created would show up at the top of the “top scores” list, with an impossible-to-beat score.

I also enjoyed getting ahold of a box of diskettes and opening all the write-protect tabs, so nothing could be saved onto them unless the user happened to notice the tab’s position.

The cruelest computer prank I pulled was during my senior year. I was on the Journalism newsletter/yearbook staff, and we were in charge of getting together our own senior newsletter as well as the regular school newsletter. The senior newsletter, published right before graduation, contained personal quotes from the seniors–what was your worst moment, etc. Well, the girl assigned to compile all the responses into the newsletter had a very strong grudge against me, and left out all but two of my comments. I didn’t find out about what had happened until the day it was distributed. Needless to say, I was pissed. The next day, this same girl began preparing the final school newsletter of the year. I noticed that she wasn’t saving a bit of her work to the hard drive; everything went onto a single diskette. She wasn’t a very bright girl; she was in the habit of leaving the diskette unattended on table amid piles of papers. So I procured some small ceramic magnets and took one to school one day. Goodbye newsletter.

I swear I was not involved in this, but my senior year we had a chemistry teacher who knew early on in the year he wouldn’t be back, so with his assistance a group of malcontents mixed up all the iron sulfide and hydrochloric acid they could find and put it into the ventilation system. It smelled like the world’s biggest poopy diaper, and they had to evacuate the school. Supposedly it made some of the little kids in the nursery (yes, that’s right) hurl, for added enjoyment.

I went to boarding school in New England. If you have no experience with this, We, like most schools had a school meeting on Wednesday and Saturday mornings before classes began. (yes we had classes on Saturday)

our prank was unhinging all of the fold-down seats in the auditorium except for the seniors and hiding all of them in the squash courts across the street. everyone in the whole school except the seniors, had to stand for school meeting for a week until they found the cushions. it went over pretty well actually.