Better Call Saul: Season IV

Nah, I’ve learned to just not get too attached to anything on TV. :slight_smile:

Also, I apologize if my post was seen as a threadshit, I didn’t mean it to be.

One of the really distinctive things about this show is that it is not afraid to take the time to make its points. The long scenes of Jimmy failing to communicate with Kim in this episode, Kim’s epic “hustling for a new client” montage, Mike breaking down the car when he thinks he’s bugged… other shows would *imply *time taken in a 20-30 second montage, but BCS will spin that out for *minutes until yes, it does become a little bit painful, a little bit frustrating. But the pay off is that you internalise the character’s struggle to a much greater extent, so that when Mike finds the bug/Kim lands a client/Jimmy switches back on then you really feel the impact.

*I realise now, following ITD’s lead above, that what happened at the end wasn’t that *Jimmy *started talking. What happened was that *Saul *started talking. The persona is taking over.

That’s brilliant. I love this.

I’m with ya. Like a hotdog, this show has too much filler and by-product.

I also had forgotten how slow this show was. And not in a good way (IMO).

Gave me too much time to think of how grossly he overfed his fish, and wonder why he said, “Look at her go” after feeding it, when the fish didn’t move.

Realized I ought to have rewatched last season’s finale to remember what was going on - but quickly realized I didn’t care that much.

I agree with that, I don’t think Jimmy is actually happy at Howard or just putting on a brave face, it’s a more complex coping mechanism. I don’t know that it will actually fall apart for Jimmy, though - keeping himself in ‘it’s all someone else’s fault, I’m happy’ mode may be what really drives him into keeping up the Saul persona all the time. I’m also interested to see how the Howard/Kim/Jimmy dispute plays out, I don’t think Kim is going to be a big fan of the cold “that’s your cross to bear” to Howard especially if she finds out that Jimmy had a big role in the insurance thing.

Also, I predict that the fish is going to have a bad time of it. Jimmy’s “I’m so happy” routine involves making coffee and feeding the fish, but overfeeding fish can kill them, and the vet mentioned the risk of overfeeding back in an earlier episode.

With as much stuff as is on TV and streaming services these days, why would you watch a show that you don’t like and don’t care about? It’s not like it’s the 80s when you were stuck choosing between three big networks plus PBS. Aside from the general absurdity of threadshitting, I seriously don’t get why you’d bother to watch this show instead of watching one of the hundreds of other shows that are readily available for free or on $10/month subscription services.

I think he is happy. Finally out from under the thumb of his brother, and no suspicion on him for driving him to despair, with the bonus of laying it on Howard.

But who knows. I really feel the writers really enjoy jerking the audience around. It’ll all be different next episode.

And then take time to write about how much you don’t care. The TV world is vast! There is more to see!

Previews for the next episode.
Here’s the trailer: - YouTube
And a scene of Jimmy interviewing: 'Jimmy's Sales Job Interview' Sneak Peek Ep. 402 | Better Call Saul - YouTube

I’m pretty sure Jimmy was already familiar with the color copier’s use in counterfeiting…

Can someone give me the executive summary on this, as I either missed something (this week) or forgot (previous seasons).

Or at least half-vast! :wink:

While I will not pine for the days of 3 major networks, the ever-increasing abundance does not suit me well. I have limited interest in seeking out new shows that will appeal to me. Yeah, I know that will result in my missing some great stuff. But conversely, it will also save me from wasting my time on a bunch of crap. And, IMO, the vast majority of stuff on TV is - if not crap, at least not sufficiently good that I wouldn’t rather be reading, making music, or doing just about anything else.

I only regularly watch maybe 5 shows on an ongoing basis. When I find a show that I like - as was the case w/ BCS - I get disappointed when I feel it has changed in a way that I don’t like it as much. Heck, the last couple of episodes of Elementary have been VERY disappointing, so I’m thinking of dropping that show as well…

I’ve posted before of my dislike for Breaking Bad - truly a minority opinion. The more I could enjoy BCS on its own - rather than seeking tie-ins w/ BB, the better. And I often thought BCS had some of the best portrayals of actual lawyering that I’d seen on TV.

Didn’t see the rules saying contrary opinions were unwelcome! Of course, I don’t believe folk “seriously don’t get” my behavior. But I posted the above in case you wished your ignorance fought.

I think that’s a pretty clear signal that he was giving a performance of cheeriness that had little to do with actual reality. It doesn’t matter that the fish doesn’t move - what matters is that he displays to Howard (and Kim) that everything is just peachy-keen for ol’ Jimmy.

Last season, Jimmy went to his malpractice insurer after he was barred from practicing for a year to try to get a refund on the remaining ten or so months on his insurance. He didn’t get it, prompting what appeared to be a genuine moment of anguished self-reflection (in the office, in front of the insurance agent) where he listed all the personal and professional mistakes he’d made that brought him to this new low. In which catalogue of errors he just so happened to mention how bad he felt about bringing his brother’s mental health issues to the fore during the disbarment hearing.

The insurance agent is seen taking a note on this, and subsequently HHM get informed of the higher premium for Chuck (as Jimmy had planned) which led to the fight with Howard (as Jimmy might have hoped). But he didn’t foresee what else it would lead to, and now he knows.

It’s worth reflecting just how spiteful and petty Jimmy was being when he dropped the dime on Chuck. He’ll remember how he felt at that moment, and some small part of him will be wondering how clever he really was.

As far as I can remember, Jimmy doesn’t really know the coast is clear. When he last saw Walter in “Granite State”, he confided that he was disappearing because of the jailhouse killings (“When they start whacking the lawyers…”), apparently not realizing that it was Walt who’d ordered them. If and when he hears of the Aryan Brotherhood being wiped out by Waly in “Felina”, he might put two and two together and breathe easy. (AFAIK, we don’t know whether that’s all happened, because we don’t know how Gene’s timeline synchs up with the last events of “Breaking Bad”.)

ETA: What Sherrerd said.

much thanks!

Remember the time in Season 2 when Chuck took out a metronome and played sheet music (written by Rebecca IIRC) on the piano?

An orchestra version of that music was playing as people came up to Jimmy to offer condolences in the church right before the funeral, during which the camera panned to a sobbing Rebecca.

Typical first ep for a new season; you have to sit through the exposition of how they got where they are (hence Howard’s monologue at the end) and plow through the setup for the rest of the season. I liked the tequila Easter egg. I can do with less doting by Mike on his granddaughter.

I thought he was irritated by the $8k taken out. I don’t make that kind of money, is it standard for that much withholding on $18K?

And that led him to go investigate the company.

You can think I’m lying, but I seriously don’t understand why a person would spend the time watch a show they don’t actually like, then spend the time to post that they don’t like it and aren’t interested in it, and then follow up by posting about how they try to avoid wasting time on shows they don’t like even though they’re watching a show they don’t like and aren’t interested in. If you had insightful comments about the show that would make sense, even if you don’t like it. But instead you offered that the show is slow and that you’re not interested in it, and made it clear that you completely missed the point of a scene. When your ‘contrary opinion’ is just “I don’t like it and I don’t care about it and I’m not interested to the point that I don’t really pay attention to what’s going on,” why on earth would you expect that commentary to be welcome?