BillO- flight 1549 "miracle"

The issue here is that Bill has equated secularism with atheism, or at best agnosticism. I am a secularist, but I most definitely believe in God- secularism is a political philosophy, while my theism is a religious belief. I think that’s the point that furt is trying to make, and I think it’s a valid one.

IMO **Cuckoorex **is closer to the mark as culture (and culture is IMO what you are in reality dealing with here) includes art, science, as well as moral systems.

I just found it extremely amusing that O’Douchey tried to use mathematics and a sort of pseudo-logic to prove that the safe landing was a miracle.

Anyway, I’m not an aero engineer, but I’m fairly certain that there’s nothing miraculous about the plane not tearing itself in half. They’re designed to make emergency landings on water, and this would have been about to slowest emergency landing imaginable (ie., right after takeoff).

While amusing, this is in fact covered in the Bible and generally in about the first year of Sunday School. Notions like this are typically countered with “Thou shalt not tempt God.”

What this means is that if you step in front of a truck on your own initiative you should not expect God to save you.

The concept is that we are not in charge of God, and don’t get to tell him what to do. The operative issue with manna, truck invincibility and all the other stuff like this is that God has specifically told you otherwise you should not expect intervention.

Yes you are. That makes you a false prophet. I should stone you now.

There is only appliance. All other appliances derive from the refrigerator. The stove? Reverse refrigerator? Cuisinart? A refrigerator servitor. It takes the bounty of the fridge and converts into a version suitable for consumption lest we be overwhelmed by consuming the bounty of the fridge directly.

So, the world contains… Google population estimate… where’s that “Calculator” icon?.. 0.0067 expert glider pilots. That would be, what, one with expertise in glider piloting in one hand and half of the attached forearm?

BillO’s idiocy is like an onion, except that no matter how deep you peel you never reach a point where there are no more layers.

Where did he do that, again? The Bible? Qu’ran? The Vedas? The Book of Mormon? The collected works of Confucius?

You’d think that a truly omnipotent Supreme Being would have a better publishing arrangement.

I can see why a Bush Kool-Aid drinker would wish to deemphasize the linkage between actions and consequences…

Indeed it could be. That is a hypothesis. In the absence of proof, you may believe that hypothesis. I will not say that it is definitely not true since I can’t prove that it’s not.

If I were to deny your possibility that would make me an atheist as far as that is concerned. I translate atheist as " unreasonable idiot."

Since I don’t know, and maybe doubt that we ever will, I’m agnostic on the issue.

(FTR, I’m in the cave paintings as “this is how we did it, and it worked, so let’s make a record so we don’t forget” camp, rather than the “I have an idea, let’s try this, look at my cave painting” camp.

I know that when I am outside making plans with other people I usually use a stick to scratch it into the ground. I suspect our forefathers did the same thing, and they only drew it on a cave wall after it worked. It is suspicious that there are only good ideas on the cave wall. If your cave wall represents hypotheses, then there should be some precursors or bad ideas up there, too.)

On the contrary. I think it circled around quite nicely.

Okay, but earlier you claimed that you go to the refrigerator out of faith. Aren’t you therefore testing God through this action? Or testing the refrigerator? There’s really no faith-based reason to trust the fridge over your desk as a place to find food, unless you’re claiming that God (or the fridge) specifically told you to find food there.

Going to the fridge is not necessarily a matter of religious faith, I guess is what I’m saying.

You may be too late to do any good, I fear.

Well, I’m not arguing that.

Deuteronomy 6:16
Luke 4:12

You’d think that a truly omnipotent Supreme Being would have a better publishing arrangement.
[/QUOTE]

Ezekiel 12:12

Take that!

Just because the refrigerator has always held food before, and just because the desk has always been inedible before does not mean that those things are still true now. Logically, I oughtta test the desk for edibility to make sure it hasn’t changed before I invest all the effort in getting up and walking over to the fridge.

I only empower the fridge as the first choice out of faith that past experience will continue to hold true. Clearly, this is not a rational beleif as we live in a chaotic and constantly changing universe. Yet, I continue irrationally to hold onto this belief in refrigerator as food provider and desk as inedible out of antiquated stubborness.

Okay, you win.

What would happen if you went out to eat instead?

Ezekial 12:2
Sorry.
But yeah, that other thing… that’s important too. Don’t forget that.

I forgot to make this point. Thanks for picking it up.

Maddow nailed it much better than Bill. In fact, I don’t think she went far enough.

What kind of idiot goes out to eat without checking the fridge first?

Only after standing before the Fridge with the door open for five minutes while intoning the words “Honey, is there anything to eat?,” may one than go out to eat.

Failure to do this means the leftovers spoil.
Everybody knows this. Don’t waste my time with trivialities.

And how are you supposed to know which book is the real one and which one is the rebellion?

Scylla, I honestly can’t tell if you’re serious or not anymore. And fuck you, Firefox, ‘anymore’ is a word.

Deu 18:20-18:22

Jer 14:14 -14:16

Mat 7:15-7:23

Rev 19:20

I don’t really worship the fridge.