Blame Canada!

Penetration into the red zone hoping to score in the end zone for one thing. How will it be affected by any potential rules changes? Hope that clears things up.

Hmmm…thinking about this annexation thing, I’d have to say there are probably a few states we don’t really want. I mean, California is nice, and we already take over Florida and Arizona in the winter, and of course it would be nice to pick up places like New York just for the tax base, and Minnesota and Washington State already fit in nicely with their neighbouring Canadian provinces, but we don’t want Arkansas unless you fix the way it’s spelled. Louisiana can come in, but only on the condition that it treat Quebec as a long lost sibling and tell them to shut up already about “distinct society”, since they’re not the only ones anymore. And sorry, but Texas is right out. We’ve already got one, you see (we call it Alberta), and two would be too much.

Bad idea.

1. Most of the entire population of Canada lives within 100 kilometers of the border. Coincidence? or a cleverly devised plan?

2. If the United States ever did attempt to annex Canada, would we notice?

3. Despite all of the other differences between Canadians, as far as our national identity is concerned, the one thing we can all agree on it that we’re not Americans.

4. Guns.

One more thing:

Learn to spell “doughnut”.

Ha! Atlanta hasn’t supported the Braves (empty seats during the playoffs? WHAAAA-?), Falcons or Hawks for years and they haven’t moved yet. Wishful thinking my Canuckian friend.

I think it’s only a matter of time until it will happen. What’s the difference anyway? Canada and the U.S. would both retain their identity’s. We could call it U.S.P.A.C., The United States and Provinces of America and Canada.

One of the provisions of the NAFTA agreement does a pretty good job of this, but it’s only applicable to “professionals” like doctors, nurses, teachers, lawyers, engineers, scientists, etc. If you’re one of those with a job offer across the border, it’s quick and painless to get a one-year (but more or less infinitely-renewable) “TN” work visa. That link is for Canadians working in the US, but I would imagine the rules are similar for Americans working in Canada.

Can an unskilled laborer from the EU really move to and work in any other EU nation, with no visa requirements whatsoever?

Would our flag have 50 stars and one maple leaf?

50 maple leaves.

The differences between Canada and the USA are irreconcilable.
Canada has curling.
USA has the NRA.
Neither country can comprehend the other. The twain shall never meet.

I’m all for the merger as long as we can get more Tim Horton’s doughnut shops down further in the U.S. All the threads I’ve read are whetting my appetite.

Mmmmm…Timbits… :slight_smile:

It’s so much fun to go into Robin’s and ask for Timbits. :smiley:

Curling with firearms?

But wouldn’t it be hard teaching the 280,000,000 Yanks how to sing it in French (since the English translation changes every couple of years)?

Not that I’m all that fond of the stupid rich kids’ drinking song we’re using.

Tim Horton’s is the reason I live most mornings. All hail Tim Horton’s!!!
Other than that, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the we Canucks have Universal Health Care. I would never give that up. And up here we have a saying. “There is the right wing, and then there is the AMERICAN right wing”. Sorry eh, but your government and society leans over way too far to the side of business rather than people for my liking. i love you as individuals. I dislike your government, your federal politics in general, and that is not to mention anything about your vile forign policy. However, I love you like I said as individuals :slight_smile: You are some of the finest people I know :slight_smile:

OK… We can annex YOU… but we are also taking Cuba. Let Castro take Texas as payment. Then we will all be happy. :slight_smile: Well as long as it is our gov’t system that takes over. We’ll get rid of the Queen for you, and hell, I’ll even let youkeep your basic flag though now with 63 maple leafs instead of 50 stars…

How’s that?

Hell, I already get enough Canadian change and pay a lot of taxes. I say bring it on!

Forget taking Canada. Make Alberta a good offer, and we’ll think about it. It’s really the only province you want anyway. We’re right wing, and we’ve got all the oil.

Actually, BC might like to go with us, and that gets you the lumber and another deep water port.

Seriously… I think you’ll see the two countries drawing closer as soon as we get rid of Chretien. That old dinosaur represents the absolute worst part of Canada - the old liberal Eastern, arrogant intelligentsia. He belongs in France with other euro-snots.

But once we get a modern leadership with some sense (even another Liberal leadership), they are going to realize some things, like the fact that it’s a hell of a lot easier to defend ports of entry to the continent rather than a huge, largely unpatrolled border. Hell, any Risk player knows that.

They’ll also realize that when you are next door to the most powerful country the world has ever seen, there’s a hell of a lot of advantage to being its little brother, and not a lot of advantage to being a continual thorn in its side.

There has been some talk in political pundit circles about a new ‘Anglosphere’, or a re-kindling of the old WWII alliances. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a ‘transatlantic free trade zone’, which would basically be NAFTA with Britain joining the party, plus a few other European countries and perhaps Australia as well. If Germany and France manage to control the EU and turn it into an economic competitor instead of an economic partner, then I predict a further growing closer of the ‘Anglosphere’.

Sam … There is a reason why the Albertan right wing government ideal hasn’t spread throughout the country. The Alliance wil lnever gain power in this country BECAUSE they are mcuh closer to the US Republicans than any other party. And congratulations for with one sweeping stroke defining your prejudices on the boards for all to see.

Oh for God’s sake. Just what ‘prejudices’ would that be? That I don’t like the old boys’ network that’s currently running the country?

Or by ‘biases’ do you mean my political affiliation and leanings? I think everyone on this board knows what I stand for, thank you. I’m essentially a libertarian-leaning non-partisan. I don’t belong to any organized political parties. I like some things Democrats and Republicans stand for. I like some things the Tories and Alliance stand for. I like a very few number of things the liberals stand for. I think the NDP is a joke, because they don’t have a shot at holding any sort of power. If they did, I’d think they were dangerous.

I like the U.S. I like Canada. I think there are far more similarities than differences, although Canadian politicians like to score points by trying to highlight those differences. I think we’d all be better off with totally open borders and markets, although I would like to see Canada retain its own sovereignity and identity.

How’s that? What are YOUR ‘prejudices’?

I was referring to your Anglos only club. I am a leftie, but I do agree with you about the NDP.