Blazing Saddles Question - Mongo

“Izzat a ten-gallon hat, or are you chust enchoying the show…?”

Wasn’t there some bizarre sequence in the T.V. version where a newlywed Mongo is asked to raise the son of an old football buddy who has died? I could swear I remember seeing that on T.V.

…a horse.

You use your tongue prettier than a ten-dollar whore.

…Let’s play chess.

Do people still get the pun that gives Mongo his name?

To refresh memories, when he shows up in town, someone says, “Mongo! Santa Maria!”

Post #12.

For those of us that are a little slow, could you explain?

“Mon Gosan Tama-Reo” was a popular Japanese cartoon series that was broadcast in the United States in the last sixties.

If you give me ten minutes, you can verify this on Wikipedia.

Or you could check here.

Thanks

I was half-whooshed. About to write a wassyoutalkinbout Willis and drop a couple Youtube links when I thought I should chekc out Nemo’s link to make sure there wasn’t an alternate explanation.

Good one.

Rick, click the Youtube link here (promise it’s about as opposite a RickRoll as you can get).

On a trivia note, that was probably a Richard Pryor joke. Pryor was one of the writers for the Blazing Saddles script. Mel Brooks later said that Pryor loved Mongo and wrote almost all of the Mongo jokes.

And Pryor was well known as a fan of Japanese cartoons.

That guy was on fire!

“Look at my hand.”
(holds up hand)
“Steady as a rock.”
(pulls out other hand, which is twisted into a claw)
“Quite an experience to live in fear, isn’t it? That’s what it is to be a gunslinger.”

“You’re reading a magazine. You come across a full-page nude photo of a girl.”
“Deckard, I’m not a weplicant. I need some west.”

“They don’t advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer. Methodist.”

“Howard Johnson is right! We don’t want no Skin Job as our sheriff!”

You guys have got to stop tempting me. I just wanted to do Roy’s last speech. I am seriously tempted to do the dressing room scene but with Sheriff Bart and Lili. E.g.,

“Are you ver veal?”

Sheriff Black Deckard, after Gabby Johnson’s unintelligible speech: “I knew the lingo. Every good cop did.”

Sheriff Black Deckard voiceover: “All I needed was 24 hours. I had to persuade the townspeople to give me 24 hours.”

Sheriff Black Deckard: “Just give me twenty-four hours to come up with a brilliant idea to save our town. Just twenty-four hours, that’s all I ask.”

Townspeople: [in unison] “No!”

Sheriff Black Deckard: “You’d do it for Ridley Scott.”

Accelewated decwepitude.