Blender's Worst Song List - Are you kidding me??

I just read this synopsis of Blender’s list on CNN, and I have to say, I’m amazed.
We Built This City - Starship, listed as the worst song ever. Am I missing something here? OK, it’s nothing epic or wondrous, but worst song ever?? Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel? We Didn’t Start the Fire, by Billy Joel???

Someone tell me what I’m missing… Sure, some of the songs on the list belong there, like Achy Breaky Heart, or Ice Ice Baby, or ok, anything by the New Kids on the Block, but half the list makes me say…

<Gilbert Godfried>

What the $@!%

</GG>

I had the same thoughts. I read the list and said, hey, some of these songs aren’t great, but only of few of them are really bad. And some of them are pretty good!

I can’t believe “Who Let the Dogs Out” didn’t make the list. Actually, there are lots of others his list should have included:

[ul]
[li]“YMCA”, The Village People (actually, any VP song).[/li][li]“Hooked on a Feeling” (that oomba-oomba-cha-ga song, or however it goes)[/li][li]“Walk Like A Man” (The Four Tops?) God, that falsetto singing drives me batshit every time I hear it![/li][/ul]

There are lots more that I am sure will be mentioned later on in this thread.

I agree with most of the choices on the list. Some aren’t necessarily the worst, but there certainly aren’t any that I’d defend. I just voted for “Achy Breaky Heart” in the poll and the current stats are:

Yeah, I thought the list showed a lot of biases on the part of the magazine choosing the songs. “We Built this City” wouldn’t even make my list of worst 100, but they have a bias against anthems and art rock.

You’d think they’d leave “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Dah” off because of the theme of transvestism, though.

I still have “Achy Breaky Heart” echoing in my head every so often.

Pity me.

Anyway, either “Ob-la-di, ob-la-da” doesn’t belong on that list, or a lot of other Beatles songs from that period do. “While my Guitar Gently Weeps”, anyone? Even “Strawberry Fields” tends to word salad.

How anyone can run a “Worst Song” list without “MacArthur Park” is beyond me.

[sub]And I’ll never have my sanity agaaaaaaain![/sub]

First of all, they shouldn’t be allowed to include songs that are only “80s bad,” which is a totally different thing from just plain bad. Starship and Wang Chung are “80s bad,” but not just plain bad. In fact, if you can remember the 80s, they were actually good. Vanilla Ice, on the other hand, was and is just plain bad.

And putting Huey Lewis in there is just evil. Did these people never see “Back to the Future”?

I agree with the “80s Bad” idea: “We’re Not Gonna Take It” (Twisted Sister) was simply awful by most standards of music, but it’s both far beyond the dreck of the age and it fits well with the genre.

(It’s also a better song than most crap produced in the 1990s, but that’s somewhat beside the point.)

I can’t understand Simon and Garfunkels The Sound of Silence making the list. I can’t understand it at all! I echo TellMeI’mNotCrazy - what the $@!%

Nah, they’re right. I’ve hated that song since I was 8 years old, or however old I was when it came out. If an 8-year-old can tell that it sucks, everyone else should be able to, too.
Many of the other choices were good ones too. Especially that stupid Toby Keith song I despise.

Exactly! I though that had already been decided.

I would also chuck in a vote for Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl) by Looking Glass

Hey now! Them’s fightin’ words! I lurrrvvvv that song!!! :smiley:

(actually, I do list it has an all-time favorite guilty pleasure, along with Gordon Lightfoot’s “If you could read my mind”…so since I list it as a guilty pleasure, I must in my heart know it’s crap).

I think a much more accurate title would be “Cheesiest Top 40 Songs of the Last 25 Years (Plus a Few Random Ones From Earlier.)” And some of them aren’t so much cheesy as merely insipid.

Where can you access the complete list?

They’d better have “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” by Bo Donaldson on it.

VH1 is doing the 100 worst songs of all time in June. I just read something (in Entertainment Weekly, perhaps?) that said the reason they choose that song was because of the preachy, junior-high-school-poetry-esque lyrics such as :
“Hear my words that I might teach you,
Take my arms that I might reach you.”

I actually would’ve put “We Didn’t Start the Fire” as #1, just because words cannot describe my hatred for that… “song.”

That said, “We Built This City” is one of those so bad it’s good songs for me; everything about it is truly awful, but it’s still fun to listen to for that very reason. “We Didn’t Start the Fire” and “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” truly make me want to vomit blood, so I agree with their placement.

Although if the list doesn’t include Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life,” I hereby refuse to defend it ever again.

A lot of the songs on the list are merely weak, there have been some awesomely bad songs that shoulda coulda been on the list. I’d add:

“Young Girl, Get Out Of My Mind” (a song about resisting the urge to pederasty … so appropriate for pop music)

I’m assuming “We’re an American Band” by Grand Funk Railroad is in the list somewhere – it’s an anthem after all, and it does suck.

D.O.A. – God in heaven, teach me how to di … al another station!

And to get more current “Loving You” … yeesh.

Don’t forget “This Girl is a Woman Now,” and my personal favorite, “Woman.” Or, I should say, “WOOOOOOOOOOOO-MAAAAAAAANNNN!!!”

On second thought let’s give Gary Puckett his own list, because his musical awfulness eclipses all others.

On third thought, let’s banish Gary Puckett into the Forbidden Zone.

Sounds of Silence? You’ve got to be kidding me. If that made the list and Hit Me Baby One More Time didn’t… well, hell. This is Maxim Blender we’re talking about, right?

*Tentacle Monster reads linked article

Wait wait wait wait wait. Courtesy of the Red. White and Blue? That’s one of the few country songs I like, and the only jingoistically patriotic song I like. And why in the hell is CNN reporting on this, anyway? Wankers. Where can I get some real news?

I haven’t seen the entire 100 names on the list, but it does seem indescribable that this list doesn’t count :

the aforementioned “Macarthur Park”

“Venus” by Bananarama

“Signs” by the Five Man Electrical Band

“We are the world” by a gaggle of self-indulgent, delusional 80s acts

“Never been to me” by - some horrible, simpering 1970s one-hit wonder whose name escapes me

“All that I am” by Air Supply

“the Safety Dance” by Men without Hats

“Oops! I did it again” by Britney Spears

“Mr. Roboto” by Styx

or

“Bette Davis Eyes” by Kim Carnes

And that’s just ten songs off the top of my head that are infinitely worse than “We Built this City.” Blender has some axes to grind, or a very limited knowledge of pop music if that’s their top 20 worst songs.

The list is ridiculous and is obviously meant to stir debate rather than as a serious critique of the songs.