Blurgh, tell me the Disgusting Things You Must Do

Ha! At the back of my yard is an empty field. We are very very popular with hawks and vultures.

@ZipperJJ: Just how many critters do you slaughter in that killing field you call a “back yard” so that the vultures have you on speed-dial?

That would have been one for the record books for sure! And would’ve easily beaten my best animal cuisinart story by a couple hundred lbs.

That whole thread from ~4 years ago has a bunch of entertaining animal corpses in it.

I killed an owl in midair with my car.

You just reminded me of a scene I witnessed that nearly made me gag, although it isn’t nearly as disgusting as most of the things in this thread.

When I was still childless and happy to be that way, I sat at a table with a mother feeding her infant. The baby was still at the smear-stuff-everywhere-and-drool-copiously stage, so at the end of the meal the baby had pureed pumpkin, liberally infused with saliva, all over his face.

Mom extender her index finger and skillfully used it as a cleaning tool, wiping the baby’s face clean with a few swipes.

So far, so good … and then she popped her goo-covered finger into her mouth and sucked off all the baby glop.

I eventually became a parent myself, but that didn’t decrease the ick factor much. Just telling the story is faintly nauseating.

I’m pretty sure the problem is me and it wasn’t really THAT gross.

About 4-5 a year. So far this year I’ve sent two rabbits and a chipmunk as an offering. There’s a lot of hawks that just hang out on top of my shed and my fence. Last week we had THREE turkey buzzards in the field taking care of something that I didn’t put out there. I am pretty sure my dogs only kill stuff because they’ve been recruited by this Murder Gang. The dogs never eat what they kill, they just fight it til it stops moving and then they are done. Then I toss it over the fence and the cycle continues.

It’s not like I’m in the country, either. This is the middle of a suburb. The “field” happens to be a 40’ wide gas line easement through the city.

Nature is relentless. We leave a small bare area and it fills with green then with critters. Followed in due course by dead critters.

Yeah, I don’t get it either, clean up cat puke, change a baby’s diaper, gut a deer, house train a puppy, those are all “good”, hair clog in the drain is a not good for me for some reason.

It’s weird. Everybody has something like that. Call it Achilles vomiting. :wink:

:laughing: I like it

I made a face. Pretty gross.

It’s true that swollen human organs under tension can hurl their contents long distance when sliced into suddenly, which is why you learn to make a small nick initially. This is more of a problem with serous fluid or blood compared to mucin which is heavier and prone to ooze more than splatter. A snot-filled cutting station is no fun to clean however.

I thought inquiring minds would want to know.

I can understand a lack of joy and even stomachs turning over while removing large, greasy, dripping hair clots from drains.

Thank you. This enquiring mind certainly did. :wink:

I spent about a year running the tongue saw at a beef slaughter house.

Regarding the size of a human(I assume) ovary, I don’t know why, never thought about it I guess, but I’ve always had in my head the image of the line drawings of reproductive organs from jr high school health/sex ed classes; very much not to scale.

tongue saw…Tongue Saw…I had to read that a couple of times because I could not imagine what kind of cut you make with a tongue saw or what a tongue saw even is. It took me a minute to shift from lumber to meat mentally even though the words beef and slaughter house are right there🤪

Runs a tongue saw
Cat avatar picture

So the stories are true.

To explain: I stood beneath a rail at a band saw. The tongues, with the connective meat still attached, were on hooks through the underside of the tip. The rail had a stop that would force the tongue off of the hook and drop it on my table. My job was to saw the connective meat off. I would then drop the tongue into a rinse sink and toss the connective meat to another table where two guys were trimming it for packaging. There was a guy next to me who would rinse the tongues, slip them into a plastic sleeve and box them up.

I did this for 60 hours a week. One day we were told that the plant would be temporarily closed and that they would contact us when we were to return to work. I never went back.

Rather tame in comparison to some but still: my cat is not a great hunter but she is a scavenger. The long dead semi-mummified pigeon (uneducated guess) carcass I did not mind too much. What I did mind: Coming home one day, vaguely wondering about the smell and the stray feather in my living, I went about my normal business. Not too long after, I saw this shape under a closet. Looking more closely, I discover a maggot-infested long (but not long enough) dead blackbird. It must have been brought in in this shape, since a) significant parts were missing) and b) I would have noticed the feathers sooner.
With my strong gag reflex, cleaning up was not pleasant… finding all maggots was a chore. :nauseated_face:

I know what beef tongue is used for. Can be yummy done right.

But what exactly is “tongue connective meat” used for? Animal food, spam, mechanically separated beef, hot dogs? And what about it gets trimmed why?

Thanks for sharing a tiny vignette of a very Dirty Job.

Stick my fingers down the throat of my friends so they could vomit when they were sick. Yes plural, three different women. Yeah lucky me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Two out of the three times, I couldn’t move my hand away quick enough!

@LSLGuy

The throat meat was trimmed of excess fat, boxed up and sent to the grinder. It was mainly sold to employees at about a third of the cost of grocery store ground beef. I would buy a few pounds every week and use it for burgers on the grill, chili and just about anything that you would use ground chuck for. It was actually pretty tasty. Now I realize that the flavor was quite a bit like what I now get from ground brisket today.