Boohbahs Invade the Bricker Household

Has anyone else’s toddler become enamored of the five bouncy, furry Tele-tubby-like space aliens known as “Boohbahs?” They are shown here locally on the PBS channel.

These creatures are quite bizarre, and the whole show is making me think that actual space aliens have decided to pacve the way for their eventual arrival on Earth by indoctrinating the children to find their weird appearance charming.

Bricker Jr. can’t get enough of these creatures.

Grandmama!
Grandpapa!
Mrs. Lady!
Mr. Man!
Auntie!
Brother and Sister!
Little Dog Fido! arf

The Beansprout couldn’t care less, but I dig those story people, yes I do.

My toddlers haven’t seen them yet (Saves up TV time to watch Sesame Street, Arthur and DragonTales) but I caught them one day. I was hypnotized. I can only believe that stoned people tuning in to this show would have a hard time telling when the dope wore off as long as Boohbahs was still on TV.

I watched this for the first time the other day with Lilpotomus. We were both transfixed.
Does anyone else think the way their heads poke out of their necks looks, well, kind of obscene?

It’s just me, isn’t it? :o

I only ever dated one guy who wasn’t circumcized. . .but, yeah, I thought it looked obscene.

My four-year-old was thrilled when pre-k was over for the year, because she was in school at the time Boohbahs come on in our area; every day for the week before school got out, she’d say “Next week I’ll watch Boohbah?” In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I was saying something about watching something at 10O’Clock (I meant at night) and my daughter said “Hey! 10O’Clock! That’s when Boohbah comes on!” She was hooked from the start!

For god’s sake, don’t show 'em this.

It’s remarkably hypnotic, and I don’t even have kids.

Thank goodness- I was kind of worried about myself for a bit there! My four year old doesn’t really care for them though. We watched it together the first time (with me saying, “Whoah…” every couple minutes under my breath) but she doesn’t seem too entranced. Now when it comes on she asks me to change the channel. I think I’m glad about that…

I was channel surfing today whilst I was talking to a friend on the phone, and I came across Boohbahs. Disturbing. Very disturbing. More disturbing than Teletubbies. (Of course, I like things that are disturbing! :smiley: )

“Peek-a-boo,” said Mink.

One day I was listening to the Orb, and came across Boobahs with the volume muted, and I felt like I was totally high.

And my first thought was, those things look sort of obscene. And then all rational thought came to a halt.

Thank you! Jeez, I’ve felt like a sicko, but I feel better knowing Dopers see it too! I completely agree with the drugged feeling- I can’t imagine how this show would hit me if I still did drugs. Either I’d worship it or it would send me screaming from the room…

When Aaron is home, he watches Boobah. He loves Boobah. Fortunately, he’s at daycare when it’s on, so we’ve not had to deal with a Boobah addiction. At least, not one on the level of his love for Teletubbies, which he calls “Dubbadeez”.

My son is weird.

Robin

“Boobah, Boobah. Boooooooobaaaaaaaah. Boo!”

Yes, they’ve overtaken our house too. My four-year-old is completely transfixed when Boobah comes on and, I’m not ashamed to admit, so am I. There’s something oddly hypnotic about their singing and spinning.

My son’s favorite part is the Story People too, especially the bit about Little Dog Fido and Grandpapa’s chair he keeps sitting in. He also laughs hysterically at the giant hotdog one and Grandpapa in the hammock. We watch Boobah a lot, can you tell?

My husband calls breasts “boobahs.”

You know, just to give you folks who find these things obscene something else to worry about. :smiley:

I haven’t seen the show, only the pictures online; to me, they look like McDonaldland’s Grimace is melting.

We tuned in because they made the baby belly laugh, and while he doesn’t watch the show, my 4 year-old has the Boohbah Zone bookmarked. Now, regardless of where we are in the house, we hear the crazy bongo drum beats coming from the office and know that Farmkid is playing with the Boohbahs. You can be sure to see the Farmbaby turbo scoot to Brother’s side, pull himself up with the desk and do a happy baby dance with his phallic friends.
I like them because they look a bit like I imagine my Aunt Lois and her girlfriends would look doing Sweatin’ to the Oldies in chenille track suits, and that mental image always makes me smile.

Wow! Thanks for the link. Just hypnotized my kids for 30 minutes on that site.

And yes, sometimes hypnotizing your kids is required.

Is that what those things are called?? I was home sick one day and channel surfed onto them, and my only thought was I thought Nancy told us to say NO to drugs! I found them a weird combination of attractive and repellant. I decided for the preservation of my brain function, I needed to move on to a rerun of Law and Order.

I hope it’s okay to bump this because I was lurking when it was fresh and only registered today. My 20 month old daughter is completely addicted, sometimes asking for them throughout the day. Now when I watch it with her, I can’t help but envision pudgy, middle aged women (well, and one strange man with an afro) Sweatin’ to the Oldies!

My husband also initially thought something phallic was going on. Personally I’m torn between scarry flashbacks when Violet from Willy Wonka blows up, and a Kewpie Doll that fell 20 stories and landed in those disgusting yet attractive snack cakes, Sno Balls.

I have no children, but there was such a fuss over Teletubbies (college kids watching it, the the whole gay thing) that I went looking for it one day. It had no appeal to me whatsoever.

That being the case, I thought I was safe from Boobahs. But noooooooo . . . I don’t know what it is, the slightly obscene aspect, the advance party for space aliens or the older ladies in chenille track suits, but they are oddly appealing. I haven’t watched a entire show yet, but it may just be a matter of time.

I think what gets me the most about the Boohbahs is the way they fart when they move. These huge, squishy, farting, slow-moving things…like Grandpa on a bad day, only more pastel.