BrainGlutton, I've got a question for you

Damn, missed a stanza. Also, the dedication should read, of course, "To Jean Chrétien, pre-emptively

Rune, My local American version of White Man’s Burden isn’t just blaming others for your failings. It is specifically blaming people of color for keeping you down, and blaming people of color for having opportunities that you as a white person don’t have.

LoL, sorry, I didn’t look before I typed that. Having a sister from Denmark, I know full well that Danes aren’t Nederlanders.

You might to come to San Jose anyways…better weather :smiley:

Sam

I always understood the “White Man’s Burden” to be the guy who works hard every day, puts food on the table for his family, pays his debts, saves for his kid’s college, pays his taxes, etc. The context in which it’s uttered, which is where the race connection comes in, is when some white males get mad for being constantly put down by others because they have the advantages of being white and male, and therefore don’t understand what hard work and sacrifice really are.

I think its’ somewhat of an antiquated notion.

Here’s Warren Zevon’s take on the White Man’s Burden, which tends to support the way I’ve understood it:

Back to the OP, a personal rule I have is that if someone expresses the opinion that anyone who disagrees with their point of view, philosophy, political stance, or whatnot is automatically stupid or mentally feeble in some way, then I automatically have no interest in anything else they may have to say on that particular subject. I have a coworker like that. If you disagree with anything she thinks, whether it’s who should be the next president or what you thought of the latest movie, she will instantly call you an idiot. I have no patience at all for that kind of thinking.

NOTE: I didn’t even read the thread or the post linked to in the OP. I have no idea if BG usually adopts this sort of posture or not.

Interesting. The OED(1989 edition) only mentions the Kipling sense of the expression. The latest referene they cite is from 1966, though, so it’s neither here nor there. American Heritage and Merriam-Webster likewise only mentions Kipling.

Sam, I think the poem you cite uses the Kipling sense of the expression rather than the one that you mention in your 07:21 PM post. The poem is sarcastic and aware of the Kipling meaning, I think.

Eh, quite a number of people on the SDMB express just such a posture. I’m actually surprised that some of the Usual Suspects haven’t chimed in by now to agree with BG. I suppose it’s possible that they finally realize just how silly it sounds. But I doubt it. :dubious:

From The Pew Center for People & The Press

What’s this Pew Center? Some evil amoral right-wingers, I’ll bet.

Zoe, insofar as we’re about fighting ignorance here, and that negative stereotyping is widely accepted to be a form of ignorance, I would put it to you (pardon :p) that the word compassionate, as in “compassionate conservative,” has not entered the lexicon due to the more humane of us conservatives wanting to distance ourseves from our more heartless brethren, but rather we’ve had to adopt it to counteract negative stereotyping from the left which would portray us as cold, heartless, selfish, greedy…well, you know.

So actually, the left is responsible for this phrase having come into use, not us “compassionate conservatives.”

Just sayin’ is all…:slight_smile:

Regards.

I haven’t heard any serious critiques of their research, but YMMV. Their methodolgy is given in the other link I posted.

Yeah, taking up the white man’s burden by invading other countries, removing their governments, and installing ones more to our liking.

Wait, shit, that wasn’t liberals!

You’re talking about Iraq ain’t you? Chomsky on a pongo stick, don’t tell me you’re talking about Iraq! What, I mean have you been living in a hole for the past few years?! Iraq was all about oil! Get it?! Oil, oil, oil. Halliburtun, Cheney, Bush, Condoleezza Rice – it’s all about oil man.

Whoever said taking up the White’s Man Burden shouldn’t make you some money? By “you” I don’t mean, of course, the “you” referenced here.

So far as I know, Rudyard Kipling is the guy who originally coined the term, “white man’s burden.” So, if you’re not using the term in the sense used in that poem, you’re not using the term correctly.