Breakfast meats

I didn’t grow up with scrapple or pork roll (also known as Taylor Ham), but encountered them once I moved to DC and traveled in the mid-Atlantic region in general. I’ve since become a big fan of scrapple, but so far pork roll doesn’t quite work for me – I’ve only had it a few times, and found it almost overwhelmingly salty. Maybe there’s a better way to prepare it (I’ve generally had it pan-fried on the side of eggs).

What other not-so-common breakfast meats are available where you live? I understand that there’s some Ohio meat-thing called goetta (or something like that) – does anyone know how that compares to scrapple? And something called livermush, which I might like since I love liverwurst, but I don’t know where to find it.

I find pork roll to be too salty on its own. The classic pork roll breakfast sandwich is, IMO, the absolute best way to consume it. deee-lish

The hardest part for me is finding bread that is right, so I use an english muffin instead. It’s passable but not as good.

In the typical NYC diner/coffee shop, the breakfast meats available are the usual bacon, ham, and sausage.

In Dominican restaurants you can get the traditional desayuno of fried mashed plantain, fried white cheese, fried eggs, and fried thick slices of Dominican salami. Break the egg yolks over the plantains to make a gravy, and bring the dish together.

It’s delicious, if your stomach can handle all that fry.

One of the myriad joys of living in Southern California is the near-universal availability of chorizo as a breakfast meat option.

Chilaquiles with chicken and beans.

Or just a bean and cheese taco some mornings.

I don’t know of any around here (never heard of goetta; maybe it’s southern Ohio?), but across the pond, there’s black and white pudding. White pudding is, I think, similar to scrapple, and black is like white but with congealed blood.

I live in the DC area and have noticed scrapple in the stores since I moved here, but I’ve never tried it.

During my time in Hawaii for a work trip a few years ago, I really enjoyed breakfasts with Portuguese sausage. Delicious.

I rarely eat heavy breakfasts any more, but I still love Jimmy Dean pure pork sausage, rashers of bacon, slices of streaky bacon, rounds of Canadian bacon, and real real ham on the bone.

Guilty pleasures: British and Irish bangers (the kinds with lots of filler), black pudding, corned beef hash, and (of course) Spam (fried crisp).

I used to love tucking into a British full breakfast, but now one is enough to feed me twice a day for two days. :frowning:

Did I mention steak and eggs? :dubious:

We have a little market here who makes their own Bacon Sausage. It’s just what it sounds like. Very good.
Mr.Wrekker often brings home sausage of various wild game meat and of dubious quality, usually. I fry it up for him, but I ain’t eating it.
ETA there’s stuff made around here called ‘souse’, similar to headcheese. I have never tasted either. I promise you I won’t be tasting it any time soon.

The land of Cinci specifically. Sausage made with pork and oats.

“England has bangers. Ireland has sausages. — thing an Irish woman told me in New York several years ago

Chorizo would be a nightmare at breakfastime. Northern California provides the much more palatable offering of grilled kielbasa at most of the breakfast joints. You can’t get it on the east coast, for some reason.

In Wisconsin, you can order grilled bratwurst with your eggs and toast and fried potatoes. But then, brats are available there 24 hours a day.

Spam, sliced thin and fried as you like it.

I don’t know if kippers is considered meat, but they’re pretty damned good.

From what I understand, most of the Linguiça (Portuguese sausage) we have in Hawaii is milder and sweeter than the traditional product. Many consider the Portuguese sausage (we never call it Linguiça) available exclusively in the McDonalds local breakfast (Portuguese sausage, eggs and rice) to be the best. McDonalds has it made especially for their restaurants.

A traditional Japanese breakfast includes some type of fish instead of meat.

Bentos (Japanese boxed lunch with various foods over a bed of rice) are popular for breakfast here. Meats can be anything, beef, chicken, pork in various forms. And fish and fried eggs are usually added a a secondary protein.

I have cooked thin pork chops for breakfast many times. Serve with fried apples and eggs. And, of course, bisquits. Altho’, my MIL made corn muffins.

Nothing like an order of Eggs Benedict made with a brat patty instead of canadian bacon! Johnsonville or Miesfelds preferred, Sheboygan will do, too.

So very, very, very wrong. Chorizo is the best of all anti-hangover breakfast meats to ever exist, and is awesome in any breakfast.

I don’t think I’ve ever had chorizo with breakfast, but I have had it, and I can’t see what would be wrong with it as a breakfast meat. It’d go well with eggs.