Bringing a dish...ideas?

My boss is hosting a football party next weekend, and everyone is bringing something. There’s the usual desserts, hamburgers, dips, cookies, etc.
I want to bring something a little different, but I’m lacking inspiration. I don’t cook very often, but I’ve got the basics down.
What say you? Share your best party hits here!

Veggie Pizza or Fruit Pizza. Both bring me lots of compliments.

Veggie Pizza

Take one package crescent rolls, flatten in jellyroll pan. Bake at 325 for 6-7 minutes. Mix one package softened cream cheese (I usually use the 1/3 less fat variety) with 1/2 cup. mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip. Low or No fat is fine), and 1 package Good Seasons Italian Dressing.

When crust is cool, spread cream cheese mixture on it, then top with chopped veggies. Green onions, cucumber, grape or cherry tomatos, sugar snap peas, radishes, peppers, brocolli, cauliflower, shredded carrots, etc.
Fruit pizza.

Take sugar cookie crust, spread flat on cookie sheet. (I don’t have the proper crust recipe with me, but I’ve seen versions that would call for pre-made sugar cookie dough).

Mix 6 oz. softened Cream cheese with 1/4 c. sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.

spread cream cheese over cooled crust.

Arrange sliced fruit (strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, grapes, peaches, whatever) on top of cream cheese.

Top with glaze (mix 1/4 c. orange juice with a couple tablespoons of cornstarch and a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar. Heat till boiling, cook and stir one minute, chill.)

I love to take a broccoli-cranberry/raisin salad to things like that. You can find a zillion recipes out there. I tend to make mine like this:

1 bunch broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 red onion, sliced very thin and small
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1 cup bacon crumbles (I use breakfast leftovers or the kind from a bag)
heavy sprinkling of salted sunflower seeds

Dressing
mayo
red wine vinegar
milk
sugar
salt
pepper

Toss first three items together in a big ol’ bowl. Make the dressing. I just eyeball the amounts - I use maybe 3/4 cup mayo to start. The vinegar and milk are just splashes to thin it out a little. The sugar and spices are to taste (some people like the dressing really sweet - I don’t). Cover and refrigerate for a couple hours before serving. Stir in bacon and sunflower seeds before serving - otherwise, they get mushy.

It’s not hard to make, and it’s a nice veggie salad to balance out the tons of carbs that are sure to be offered. Plus, if you buy it at the deli counter, it’s usually $5 or $6 per pound. That’s why I looked it up!

Chocolate Lasagna is my specialty. You don’t really have to make the noodles. Regular cooked lasagna noodles work fine.

I’ve never failed with a really nice fruit salad. Use berries, fresh mango, pineapple, etc. rather than the using apples, oranges and so forth.

Crab Rollups

I package imitation crab
1 cup mayo (low/no fat is fine)
1 cup sour cream (lo/no fat is fine)
1 can water chestnuts
1 bunch green onions
1 envelope dry Ranch dressing mix
1 package real Bacon bits
1 package frozen chopped spinach
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1 package flour tortillas.

Thaw spinach, pressing to remover as much liquid as possible. Chop. Chop crab, water chestnuts and green onions(including tops - I snip mine with kitchen shears). Mix sour cream, mayo and ranch dressing mix. Mix all ingredients except tortillas. Spread in about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch layer on flour tortilla. Roll jelly-roll style and slice in 1 inch sections. I have found it easier to slice the tortillas if you put them in the freezer beforehand. These freeze well before slicing.

These things are so yummy! I got the recipe from a lady in Hawai’i - every time there was a potluck on my husbands ward I would search his pockets when he came home.

Crack cocaine.

I find that curried chickpeas are a little unexpected, but taste really good and are easy to make, with no worries of mayo spoilage. And they’re good at room temperature.

I suggest that, or a green bean salad, maybe dressed with some lemon/soy sauce/sesame seeds

Nothing says football party like northern New Mexico style (stacked) green chile chicken enchiladas. See if you can get Hatch green chile enchilada sauce in a can where you are. If not, Walmart (many places) carries frozen Hatch green chile, with instructions for saucifying on the label. Grill or otherwise cook some (if you’re feeling lazy) boneless skinless chicken breasts or (if you’re feeling cheap and ambitious) some bonier, skinnier cut of chicken. End up with chopped, boneless, cooked chicken. Grate a bunch of cheese – Colby/Jack “spotty cheese” works great. Cut a corner from traditional prep and avoid a mess by putting a stack about three inches tall of corn tortillas in a gallon sized freezer ziploc, then adding about 3/8 cup of olive oil. Seal the bag except for one small steam hole at one end, and microwave for two minutes or so. Then check. They may need a while longer. When the tortillas are done, seal the bag all the way when it is cool enough to handle and shake or otherwise manipulate it around until the warm, flexible tortillas are coated in oil. Open the cans of sauce (about two cans per 9 by 13 tray of enchiladas). I like to use the Pyrex 9 by 13s for this. Pour a thin layer of sauce into the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of oily tortillas, tearing them in half or thirds or whatever, as necessary to cover the entire pan. Sprinkle a light layer of cheese. Add a layer of chicken, then sauce, then tortillas, then sauce, then cheese, then chicken, etc. End a little below the top edge of the pan with a layer of tortillas, then sauce, then a fairly thick layer of cheese. When you look at a side view of the Pyrex, you sould see air spaces among some of the lower levels and thicker layers of sauce above, that are starting to drip down. Put this in a preheated 350-400 degree oven uncovered. Hang around nearby because you are going to enjoy the smell of this cooking. The top layer of cheeses will melt and then kind of crust over (like mom-style macaroni and cheese) to seal in the lower levels and keep the chicken tender and the tortillas soft and everything sauce absorbent. It’s done when you are happy with the brown crust on top and you can see little bubbles rising from the lower levels into the upper ones on a side view. This is not health food.

It’s the end of summer - bring real food, not something that came out of a can or a box.

A simple one - go to a farmer’s market and get vine ripe tomatoes. Slice them and lay a basil leaf over each slice, with fresh mozzarella alongside. A little olive oil and some balsamic vinegar to dress.

I was going to suggest candied pecans or almonds (brown in a frying pan with butter and brown sugar then cool on waxed paper) as a nice snack alternative to chips, but then I read the chocolate lasagna thing and my brain melted. I am about to go spend my lunch hour at the grocery store getting ingredients for that, good grief!!

Well, you said different (it sounds weird, but it was a huge hit at a party my brother had this summer):

FRUITY COLESLAW

1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 can (16 ounces) reduced-sugar fruit cocktail, drained
2 cups blueberries
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 medium ripe banana, sliced
1 package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the fruit cocktail, blueberries, strawberries and banana. Stir in the coleslaw mix. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.

Annie, will you move to Vermont or Canada with me and marry me? :slight_smile: Typo won’t mind as long as we feed him large quantities of this stuff!

Your instructions sounds a lot like the recipe I’ve used for years, though I use a chocolate-chip cookie base and have never done the glaze (have also always topped it just with a can of crushed pineapple + a can of mandarin oranges + a small jar of maraschino cherries). I’ll have to try your variation.

My own contribution to this thread: a cheese ball:
11 oz cream cheese, softened
10 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
3 oz crumbled roquefort cheese
one tablespoon grated onion
1/2 cup dried parsley
A couple of squirts of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional, I omit as I’m not fond of them).

Mix it all up. Shape into a ball. Roll in more ground parsley, and ground pecans (if desired). Keep in fridge until ready to serve, then let sit out for a bit to soften. Best made at least 24 hours in advance to let the flavors meld.

We’ve always served this with crackers but I see no reason it couldn’t be served with celery or carrot sticks.

Much as I’d love being back in or near my native New England, I’m sorry…

But that lasagna is a killer. Sometimes I make it with white chocolate.

Fried mac n cheese squares kill at football parties. Not looking down my nose at the “Kraft” fans out there, but this really only works with homemade Mac n cheese.

Broad egg noodles work the best (instead of elbow macaroni.)

I do mine in layers. (Layer of noodles, with pats of butter, then a layer of cheese. (American slices covered with shredded extra sharp cheddar.

Repeat.

Before you spread your top layer of cheese, sprinkle diced onion liberally.)

Bake for an hour at 350.

Allow to cool completely.

Cut into 2" x 2" squares.

Fry squares in a pan with just a shallow coating of oil in the bottom (fry both sides)

Allow to cool before you stack them in your tupperware. These are guaranteed not to last through the 1st quarter.

Cheers,
Indyvet

The **Big **Sandwich.

Basically, buy an un-sliced loaf of bread. I like sourdough. Slice off the top and hollow out the middle. Layer the middle with different kinds of meats, cheeses, and veggies. I like pepperoni, salami, provolone, mozzarella and a roasted red pepper/marinated artichoke mixture. Fit the sliced off top back into place.

Put in the fridge to chill for an hour and use a bread knife to cut into slices.

I love the **Big **Sandwich.

Moderator sighs: OK, don’t ask, this is about as flagrant an example of thread-shitting as I’ve seen.

I won’t even mention legality. You thought it was cute. I don’t. Please restrain sophomoric humour in future.

For a football party? Howzabout some braised beef short ribs. You can go traditional BBQ sauce or a jillion other ways of the sauce. You can even do them in a crockpot.

So many great recipes! It’s going to be hard to choose…

Ina Garten’s Panzanella is really good, and looks easy to make. I’ve had it at a friend’s twice, once by Ina’s recipie, another time with homemmade croutons as the bread. Good and very summery both times.